Search

GPU question - LHR-EWR/JFK-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Amb, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
GPU question - LHR-EWR/JFK-LAX

Hello all!

Been trying to decipher co-terminals, layover restrictions, etc. for purposes of applying a GPU. In going from LHR-LAX, am wondering if I can do LHR-EWR, then the p.s. flight JFK-LAX and use 1 GPU?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by littlejimmy112
In going from LHR-LAX, am wondering if I can do LHR-EWR, then the p.s. flight JFK-LAX and use 1 GPU?
I've never tried it, but as long as the layover is less than 12 hours, I see no reason it shouldn't work.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Amb, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
For anyone else who looks into this in the future:

YES, this routing works with 1 GPU. UA.com won't allow it (shocker) and you may need to call a couple times and/or sit on hold (shocker #2), but so long as you stay under 12 hours, co-terminals work.

For those flying TATL from/to the west coast a lot, this may become my new preferred way to maximize time on both ends... leaving LHR @ 6pm, landing in LAX @ ~9am the next day, with 14 hours in lie-flat seats (wifi guaranteed on the transcon) on 1 GPU and a cheap hotel night.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by littlejimmy112
For anyone else who looks into this in the future:

YES, this routing works with 1 GPU. UA.com won't allow it (shocker) and you may need to call a couple times and/or sit on hold (shocker #2), but so long as you stay under 12 hours, co-terminals work.

For those flying TATL from/to the west coast a lot, this may become my new preferred way to maximize time on both ends... leaving LHR @ 6pm, landing in LAX @ ~9am the next day, with 14 hours in lie-flat seats (wifi guaranteed on the transcon) on 1 GPU and a cheap hotel night.
really good information that this routing works, if i'm forced to buy coach from CA to India later this year it will be handy to consider. however, one correction, there is no such thing as guaranteed wifi on UA.

re: OP, LHR-LAX is the easiest west coast - EU direct flight upgrade, with R available in advance routinely...FWIW...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What he means by guarantee is that ps always has wifi.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by aacharya
What he means by guarantee is that ps always has wifi.
Until they sub a 753 which has happened more than once of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.