Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Removing ones self from CPU list prior to check-in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

I tried searching, but didn't have much luck. Has anyone had any luck getting themselves removed from the CPU "list"? I'm traveling with my 4 yr old on separate PNRs (thanks to UAs oddball discount certs) and want to make sure I don't get a CPU ug prior to the flight. It's not a big deal at 24hrs as I think that I can say not to put me on the UG list when checking in. At least I think I can - not sure if that option comes up when you only have 1 person on the PNR.

I know this was discussed sometime in the past (probably PMUA) and the consensus was that you couldn't really stop the CPU process. Not sure if this has changed.

I also know that being gold means that my odds are slim at actually clearing CPU before the airport, but I would like to try and ensure I don't have the hassle of asking someone to trade their Y seat for my F seat
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

You can try calling and see if they can do it - I believe there is a way.

You can also leave it and try adding the 4 year old as your companion at the airport to see if they get upgraded along with you at the airport. In the worst case, I'm sure your 4-year-olds new neighbor would probably be happy to switch with you.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You can try calling and see if they can do it - I believe there is a way.

You can also leave it and try adding the 4 year old as your companion at the airport to see if they get upgraded along with you at the airport. In the worst case, I'm sure your 4-year-olds new neighbor would probably be happy to switch with you.
I will probably see what the F load looks like when it gets close to my CPU window, then make a call.

I'm sure offering someone an F seat so I can sit by my son will work nicely, it's just one more thing to deal with...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it is possible to opt out of CPU by phone, i've done it many times. or if you have not been upgraded by the time you get to the airport, an agent there can do it as well.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tods27
I will probably see what the F load looks like when it gets close to my CPU window, then make a call.

I'm sure offering someone an F seat so I can sit by my son will work nicely, it's just one more thing to deal with...
Calling ahead will also forestall the outrage of some FTers.

(See Voluntary Downgrade Etiquette)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
There was a previous discussion on this - some people were of the opinion that any switching into economy was shenanigans because you should instead be giving up first class to the next person on the upgrade list (your original question)

I believe one poster cited an example when he protested because he was next on the upgrade list, so the original upgradee who was trying to switch into economy ended up sitting separately from his/her travelling buddy in first.

Personally, I think you'd be fine finding someone to switch with you. I'm considering the same when I travel with my family - that or gift the upgrade to my younger brother or mother who have never known

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.