Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from business to coach - miles award via Avianca

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat

I was flying back LIM - IAH via SAL as the first segment was via Avianca. When I arrived to the airport in LIM, i was told that they could not find my reservation . After showing them my reservation (done via UA.com) for this award ticket, the agent agreed to let me board (because there were some open seats in coach) on coach. I complained that my reservation was for business class but the agent said that he was doing me a favor as i didn't show in their system and i should complain to UA later. I am about to email UA but i was not sure of what kind of compensation i should expect for not flying for what i redeemed my 40k miles for this one way trip (when a coach ticket could be redeemed for 20k miles that day)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
It is not unheard of that partner segments on award tickets get dropped somewhere along the line. The likely reason is poor IT integration between UA and certain *A carriers. Best practice is to always confirm your partner flights directly with the operating airline shortly after booking and shortly before departure.

If you were in F from SAL-IAH then UA considers that a FC redemption. They might offer you something based on the SNAFU but compensation is not really due if you flew at least one segment up front. And FWIW I believe the current one-way saver redemption levels on the LIM-IAH route are 20,000/35,000 miles.

SunLover
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Seems to me that it would be reasonable to ask UA to refund the difference in miles for what they would have charged from LIM to SAL, which would correspond to 10,000 miles for a saver award or 20,000 miles for a standard award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.