Wiki Posts
Search

Why a stamp on BP at SFO United Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Why a stamp on BP at SFO United Club?

Upon entering the "original" domestic SFO United Club yesterday (near the 80s gates), my boarding pass was stamped with a red "United Club", date, and "United Airlines" stamp. I've seen this from foreign carriers at lounges outside the US but I don't think I've seen this with United Clubs in the U.S..

What is the purpose of this? The agent stated that it was to help people not have to be re-checked upon reentry (but noted that they only had two stamps and were having trouble "keeping up" with the traffic). But my BP was not stamped at the other UC (the temp club) three days prior.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:58 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
IMHO this is the SFO thing... I never experienced it elsewhere... Strange as this is one of the worst UC's...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
I think it's a vestige from the old days, to prevent people from collecting drink chits multiple times.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by TPJ
IMHO this is the SFO thing... I never experienced it elsewhere... Strange as this is one of the worst UC's...
In what way is it "the worst"? It has the same food, the same wi-fi and the same beverages as all other domestic UCs. When it comes to soft drinks, it actually is better since those are self serve rather than having to go to the bar.
Is it more crowded? I don't think so, comparing it to LAX 7 UC or EWR (with showers) UC (which most afternoons and early evenings is a zoo).

I like the SFO UC for the generous bathroom facilities and the great view of the tarmac. I will grant you that it is big and sometimes crowded.

I just don't understand the hyperbole here about SFO
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
In what way is it "the worst"? It has the same food, the same wi-fi and the same beverages as all other domestic UCs.
They're all the worst
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Several years ago, I was told that UA stamped boarding passes at their NRT lounge to prevent passengers from lounge hopping and incurring fees that UA would then need to pay to other airlines. Supposedly once your boarding pass was stamped, the other *A lounges were supposed to deny entrance. However, with OLCI, one can easily print multiple boarding passes.....
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
So if you need to go out and come and back in, you don't have to recheck in.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
So if you need to go out and come and back in, you don't have to recheck in.
Bingo! That was the rationale given by the lounge attendant.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by zkzkz
They're all the worst
Precisely.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I really like the old SFO club - more than I probably should. The views are great (most of the time, depending on construction) and there is a nostalgia factor, as someone who grew up on the west coast and flying to SFO a lot. Agree about big/crowded issues but overall, I'm almost always happy ending up with time at the SFO UC.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Several years ago, I was told that UA stamped boarding passes at their NRT lounge to prevent passengers from lounge hopping and incurring fees that UA would then need to pay to other airlines. Supposedly once your boarding pass was stamped, the other *A lounges were supposed to deny entrance. However, with OLCI, one can easily print multiple boarding passes.....
My BP was stamped at UA RCC at NRT last week but it did not cause any issues at ANA lounge a short while later.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by JT_BOS
I think it's a vestige from the old days, to prevent people from collecting drink chits multiple times.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Couldn't you just print a new boarding pass at the gate, nothing to do with OLCI?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:48 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
If you have an electronic boarding pass do they stamp your hand or your screen?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
What happens when your boarding pass is on your smartphone?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by eghansen
What happens when your boarding pass is on your smartphone?
Stamp the phone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.