Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any News if Marriott Gold Deal is Happening Again Next Year (2015)? {YES}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any News if Marriott Gold Deal is Happening Again Next Year (2015)? {YES}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Vulcan
This deal made Marriott my preferred backup to *wood. I have utilized Marriott a lot more this year because of this.
Editing mine. Also Hilton in place of *wood for me, but yes, this.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Vulcan
THis deal made Marriott my preferred backup to *wood. I have utilized Marriott a lot mire this year because of this.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Same here, when given the option, I now almost always use Marriott...where I was a Starwood guy before.
Me too.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Getting Marriott Gold and lounge access is really a great deal. I am aready Marriott Platinum so it doesn't benefit me personally, but the lounge access alone is a great benefit. At a hotel like the Grosvenor in London it could easily save two people $100 a day for breakfast and afternoon tea/cocktails.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Hope so. This is my first year without Platinum in a good many years and I miss that sorely (see profile to left). It's questionable whether or not I will qualify for Gold in '14 based upon stays alone, so it would be great if my 1MM status carried some weight in '15. Would be great for my status matched SO also, she worked for Marriott for several years in her youth and always stays with them when she travels to see family, etc, so Gold would be good for her also.

Having said all that, I do understand when non-UA Marriott elites complain about lounge crowding, etc. It likely is a factor.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Getting Marriott Gold and lounge access is really a great deal. I am aready Marriott Platinum so it doesn't benefit me personally, but the lounge access alone is a great benefit. At a hotel like the Grosvenor in London it could easily save two people $100 a day for breakfast and afternoon tea/cocktails.
And internet access.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:01 am
RNE

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Having said all that, I do understand when non-UA Marriott elites complain about lounge crowding, etc. It likely is a factor.
Lounge crowding? I wish I had that problem. Every Marriott I've stayed at since this deal began—albeit only 3—either didn't have a lounge at all or the lounge was "closed." We're staying at the London Marriott County Hall next month. Hopefully that property has a lounge and it's open!

P.S. I'll be staying with my wife and her sister. Am I going to have a problem getting them both access along with me?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've actually stayed alot less at marriott because of this deal. I normally stay enough nights to make Gold anyways. Now I have migrated to another hotel group so that I can have status in two chains. Gold doesn't really buy you much unless the hotel has a lounge. Sure you get free internet but I think most companies will cover the cost of internet so that you can actually work and send email. Otherwise, I can always tether my phone.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I'll join my vote to say that this has benefited both Marriott and myself. I now direct considerably more dollars to Marriott than I did before. I also love the lounge access, free internet, breakfast, and upgrades. I've been upgraded around 60% of the time...once to what I can only call an "embarrassingly large" suite.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Since they brag about it on the "safety" propaganda video, I would be very surprised (even includes someone from Marriott) if it was temporary.

Of course, in the past they also bragged about the quality of food ('congress of chefs episode') so YMMV. Maybe united will find a way to make marriott so bad you don't want to sleep there, similar to what the Congress of Chefs did to the food.

Last edited by Singapore_Schwing; Jul 23, 2014 at 7:35 am Reason: Brain fart
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Just got the sign up email from United

Recieved this morning from UA via email:

Don't forget to register for complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status

Register today for RewardsPlus to enjoy Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status right away.

United® MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® have come together to create RewardsPlus, a program designed to enhance your travel experience. As a valued MileagePlus Premier® 1K® member, you can receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status simply by registering today. We appreciate your loyalty and hope you will enjoy all of the great benefits of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards at destinations worldwide.

Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status benefits include:
Hotel lounge access/Breakfast
Free Internet
Guaranteed room type
Priority late checkout
25% bonus points
I never signed up for this promo last year because I'm MR Plat on my own.

So it seems the promo is alive and well.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by paulyras
Since they brag about it on the "safety" propaganda video, I would be very surprised (even includes someone from Marriott) if it was temporary.

Of course, in the past they also bragged about the quality of food ('congress of chefs episode') so YMMV. Maybe united will find a way to make marriott so bad you don't want to sleep there, similar to what the Congress of Chefs did to the food.
...and "meals and mealtimes and all of the other things that make customer satisfaction so high here at Continental."
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by RNE

P.S. I'll be staying with my wife and her sister. Am I going to have a problem getting them both access along with me?
I think it's one of those YMMV situations and I can't speak for that specific property. Some properties that I've stayed at have pretty strict moat dragons that want name and room number for each visitor. Others I've stayed at all you really need is a room key programmed for access to the lounge floor. At the ORD airport Marriott last year I was able to bring my SO's entire family up to the lounge on our final day after checkout to await various flights, no problem. But no moat dragons there, as I recall.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I hope they keep it, and don't see any reason why they wouldn't; though I do find it interesting (and helpful) that UA's top credit card get you Hyatt status.

I don't typically get to pick where I stay so it's nice having a little status at Marriott too. ^
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Marriott Gold Deal Still Happening?

Hi,

What's the deal with Marriott offering gold status to UA Gold or better. Is it still going ahead.

Also, does it work that UA Gold in 2014 means Marriott Gold in 2014 or is it Marriott Gold in 2015?

Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 16, 2014 at 4:30 am Reason: same question three months later...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:22 pm

Yes, still happening. It's listed on UA's homepage on the Latest News & Offers.

Per the terms on that page:
"5. RewardsPlus Program Status Offerings granted to members who meet the Criteria are generally valid for the remainder of the calendar year in which the Status Offering is granted. Notwithstanding the foregoing, each of the Marriott Rewards Program and the MileagePlus Program reserve the right to determine the validity period of a Status Offering which may differ from the Premier and Elite programs offered by the MileagePlus Program and the Marriott Rewards Program, respectively."

So it would be for the rest of 2014. They most likely will reevaluate in 2015 if the partnership will be renewed - my guess is that UA is fine with renewing the partnership, but it may be Marriott who may have to carefully review. It works to the advantage of UA IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.