Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Jul. 2014 - UA and DL Suspend Flights to TLV - [Update] 24 JUL 2014: Flights resumed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
See below for FAA and UA announcements on service to TLV. This is a dynamic situation and is not a specific-to-UA situation.

For this thread PLEASE only focus on the status of UA operations to TLV. And for advice to those needed to make alternative travel arrangements in the meantime.

ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL, that drifts away from that or talks about larger political matters has been and will be deleted. There are other better forums for those discussions.

WineCountryUA
UA Moderator
====================================
LATEST UPDATE (JULY 24, 00:03 EST) - Ban lifted (reported by CNN, WSJ, Israeli Ynet and Israeli Channel 2)
See this FAA news release 23 July 2014:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=16734

Past history - for reference:
UPDATE - Flights from US remain canceled as NOTAM extended to 24 July 2014
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=16714

FAA NOTAM for TLV -- 22 July, 2014
Data Current as of: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:01:00 UTC
LLBG BEN GURION

A0679/14 NOTAMN
Q) LLLL/QPICO/I/NBO/A/000/999/3201N03453E005
A) LLBG B) 1403231219 C) PERM
E) ILS CAT ONE RWY 12 AT LLBG (TLV) IS FULLY OPR.
" the Federal Aviation Administration issued a NOTAM, or Notice to Airman, prohibiting U.S. airlines from flying to the Tel Aviv airport for 24 hours {Tuesday 22 July}."
Wednesday 23 July 12:45PM Eastern Update -- FAA extends TLV NOTAM for another 24 hours]
Wednesday 23 July 11:45PM Eastern Update - FAA Lifts Flight Restrictions for Ben Gurion International Airport

UA Travel Exception Policy posted 22 July 2014
Israel Unrest
Airports: Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV)

Original Travel Dates: July 22, 2014 – August 15, 2014

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​ Flight Changes:

When rescheduled travel commences by August 31, 2014, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
Travel may be rescheduled in any fare class, same cabin.
For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
Related threads (many have helpful wikis)
Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014 (EL AL forum)
Delta (and US and UA) cancel all flights to TLV indefinitely (Delta forum)
AA TLV / Tel Aviv / Ben Gurion Travel Policy (July 2014) (American Airlines forum)
US Airways Suspends Daily Flight From US to Tel Aviv (US Airways forum)
Change fee waiver for pax to/from TLV due to recent events (Air Canada forum)
Will BA be the safe airline here too ? (Tel Aviv) (British Airways forum)
TLV flights cancelled (Lufthansa Forum)
American carriers cancel flights to TLV (Travel News)
Other non-political / non-omni FT forum links are welcomed

​​
Print Wikipost

Jul. 2014 - UA and DL Suspend Flights to TLV - [Update] 24 JUL 2014: Flights resumed]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether the FAA ban will prevent crew and that aircraft from getting out now. Can they fly without passengers given the ban?
To fly the aircraft out of TLV, UA would have to obtain a ferry permit from FAA.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
UA people won't have the option of connecting on codeshares or *A partner LH as the entire LH group, including LX and OS as well as LH itself, has just announced a 36 hour suspension of all of its flights to/from TLV.
How quickly to forget that there are *A partners outside of the LH group. I haven't heard any suspension notices from A3, ET, LO, TK.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

The flight to evacute employees out of TLV is now departing over an hour later then originally scheduled:

2056/22JUL
F TLV/ETD 1015P L01.15 AIRCRAFT AVAILABILITY
F EWR/ETA 300A L01.05
D HDQ/NO TICKETED REVENUE PAX

SKED TLV ORIG 900P GTD C8 SHIP 3020
EWR 155A TERM 1 GTA C123
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:17 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Fox News on TV reports El Al still flying, for now. Also Shep Smith commented that ElAl aircraft are equipped with anti-missile defense systems, which UA does not have (yet). If one is scheduled for a cancelled UA flight and HAS to go to TLV, ElAl may be one's only option.

FoxNews.com further reports:

"The FAA said it will continue to monitor and evaluate the situation, and that updated instructions will be provided to U.S. airlines "as soon as conditions permit, but no later than 24 hours" from the time the directive went into force."

So, UA will just have to monitor the situation and do what the FAA says.

Meanwhile, Israel's Transportation Ministry called on the companies to reverse their decision and said it was trying to explain that the airport was "safe for landings and departures."

"There is no reason for the American companies to stop their flight and give a prize to terror," Israeli Transportation Minister Israel Katz told The Jerusalem Post.

The order could take a toll on Israel’s economy, according to the Jerusalem Post.

"As soon as the FAA gives such an order to US carriers, in most cases it's a domino effect, and most European carriers will be forced to suspend their flights," an industry source told the newspaper.

I would imagine that the Israeli government and the U.S. State Department are in serious discussions behind the scenes to decide what will be the next step by the FAA.

The Jerusalem Post reports that there was only one, unguided missile that landed 5 km from Ben Gurion airport. There have been no other missiles reported near the airport, as of now.

FoxNews.com complete story:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07...missile-fears/

Jerusalem Post story link:

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Prote...-threat-368492

Last edited by mkr; Jul 22, 2014 at 3:25 pm Reason: add FoxNews.com link to story, jpost.com
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The flight to evacute employees out of TLV is now departing over an hour later then originally scheduled:

2056/22JUL
F EWR/ETA 300A L01.05

EWR 155A TERM 1 GTA C123
Likely was held due to latest round of sirens and a report of a rocket being intercepted over the airfield.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:29 pm

2056/22JUL
F EWR/ETA 300A L01.05

EWR 155A TERM 1 GTA C123
As important as the employees are, this flight is much about the aircraft, not the crew. If it was only the crew, they could have been evacuated earlier on other airlines - including on *A partners A3, ET, LO, & TK which haven't suspended service.

True the employees are more important than the aircraft, but to label the flight's mission as an evacuation of employees feels a bit of a PR move. No airline wants an AOG, especially for other than MX reasons.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mkr
Fox News reports El Al still flying. Also Shep Smith commented that ElAl aircraft are equipped with anti-missile defense systems, which UA does not have (yet).
The rockets fired from GAZA are unguided, and therefore essentially ballistic missiles.

There is no countermeasure on any aircraft that would work against such rockets.

The countermeasures onboard EL AL aircraft are defenses against guided-missiles, i.e. SAMs only.
To date, no SAMs have been fired from GAZA.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,

2056/22JUL
F EWR/ETA 300A L01.05

EWR 155A TERM 1 GTA C123
Do crew/employees sign a waiver...something that's buried in the fine print of the employment contract...or they're just happy to be getting out of 'dodge?'*

Will they take OAL crew? like DL saying can we put our folks on your plane too?

All the best to everyone...I'm sure they are all a bit freaked out with events of the past week.

*not looking to violate company/state secrets, but I can't really think of a recent situation where plane/crew need to be evacuated on short notice so generally curious how this is orchestrated.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
A friend is stuck in EWR en route to TLV coming from LAX all on UA.
Any advice? stay put in Jersey or trying to do the tatl now and have more options from all the Euro Hubs to get to TLV?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I have a friend flying BOS-MAD-TLV today -- is that still on with Iberia?
At the moment yes, although on a purely selfish level I am secretly hoping they suspend their flights, so that I don't have to pay any cancellation fees on a flight I'm booked on from TLV to MAD on Thursday, which I am planing to cancel...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mamb0
Friend is stuck in EWR en route to TLV from LAX on UA.
Any advice? Do the tatl now to have more close range departure options in europe or sit it out in New Jersey?
Seats are presently open on:

EWR-MUC UA106 22JUL 0525P-0740A+1
MUC-IST LH688 23JUL 1120A-415P
IST-TLV TK788 23JUL 610P-815P

Should be able to get UA to rebook & re-ticket the whole thing at once.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
First, FIMs are gone. They'd rebook and reissue the ticket.

But if you're in Business, they may try to OAL you in coach to save money, but you should get Business because you're a paid Business customer.

I had a friend in Paid J on UA get OALed to AF in Y. After telling me about it, the second call got him in AF J.

Just be prepared to fight with them. Everything is a fight with CO.
FIM is a term that was used for many yrs rebook reissue under these circumstances is the same as being FIMed sort of. eg UA wont reissue or rebook me on B6 or WN nor would they have FIMed me to them either.

If your friend was on a pd J tkt (and not a discounted Biz fare) he should have gotten AF J, if he was on a discounted UA biz fare then not necessarly so, some fares may have been high enough that UA or whomever will allow the new carrier to be in Biz, if youre on a really discounted Biz fare then I wouldnt expect a rebook,reissue, a FIM (OK it doesnt exist perse) to anyone else in Biz. Of cause play HUCA and you just might hit an agent that doesnt know and will see Im in Biz on UA and will put me in Biz on XX.

Originally Posted by mamb0
Friend is stuck in EWR en route to TLV from LAX on UA.
Any advice? Do the tatl now to have more close range departure options in europe or sit it out in New Jersey?
he should as for a reroute on LY out of EWR or JFK at worse a UA or *A carrier carrier to Europe and LY from there

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 22, 2014 at 3:54 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Seats are presently open on:

EWR-MUC UA106 22JUL 0525P-0740A+1
MUC-IST LH688 23JUL 1120A-415P
IST-TLV TK788 23JUL 610P-815P

Should be able to get UA to rebook & re-ticket the whole thing at once.
I wouldn´t count on those TK flights -they all seem to be cancelled too, and FlightRadar24.com shows both them and Pegasus turning around back to IST/SAW (with PG actually doing a touch and go at TLV, it looks like)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
At the moment yes, although on a purely selfish level I am secretly hoping they suspend their flights, so that I don't have to pay any cancellation fees on a flight I'm booked on from TLV to MAD on Thursday, which I am planing to cancel...
Thanks for the info .
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by craz
FIM is a term that was used for many yrs rebook reissue under these circumstances is the same as being FIMed sort of. eg UA wont reissue or rebook me on B6 or WN nor would they have FIMed me to them either.
FIMs - Flight Interrupt Manifests - still exist. Although I haven't seen UA use one in years. My last FIM was about a year ago, issued by OK for alternative transport on LH & EY.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mkr
Fox News on TV reports El Al still flying. Also Shep Smith commented that ElAl aircraft are equipped with anti-missile defense systems, which UA does not have (yet). Folks

FoxNews.com further reports:

"The FAA said it will continue to monitor and evaluate the situation, and that updated instructions will be provided to U.S. airlines "as soon as conditions permit, but no later than 24 hours" from the time the directive went into force."

Meanwhile, Israel's Transportation Ministry called on the companies to reverse their decision and said it was trying to explain that the airport was "safe for landings and departures."

"There is no reason for the American companies to stop their flight and give a prize to terror," Israeli Transportation Minister Israel Katz told The Jerusalem Post.

The order could take a toll on Israel’s economy, according to the Jerusalem Post.

"As soon as the FAA gives such an order to US carriers, in most cases it's a domino effect, and most European carriers will be forced to suspend their flights," an industry source told the newspaper.

FoxNews.com complete story:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07...missile-fears/
I fully understand the Israeli govts pt of view as well as the Carriers and frankly if I was running any of these carriers I too would have CXed the flights. I wouldnt put my passengers or crews lives in danger, nor jepardize my aircraft. {deleted OT items -- see wiki post}

Originally Posted by oziman
I wouldn´t count on those TK flights -they all seem to be cancelled too, and FlightRadar24.com shows both them and Pegasus turning around back to IST/SAW (with PG actually doing a touch and go at TLV, it looks like)
in short time I imagine all carriers except LY will CX their flights, Id think those that havent as of yet didnt due to wanting to fly its aircraft already in TLV out, I wouldnt count on any flights going in

seems the only diverted flight thus far is the DL flight. But most European Carriers fly twice a day into TLV mid morning and at night from their hubs. By the time everything hit the fan all the morning flights arrived and flew back. Except maybe for some LCCs and charters yet nothing mentioned of any of those turned back once they were airborne

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 22, 2014 at 3:55 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.