Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Jul. 2014 - UA and DL Suspend Flights to TLV - [Update] 24 JUL 2014: Flights resumed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
See below for FAA and UA announcements on service to TLV. This is a dynamic situation and is not a specific-to-UA situation.

For this thread PLEASE only focus on the status of UA operations to TLV. And for advice to those needed to make alternative travel arrangements in the meantime.

ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL, that drifts away from that or talks about larger political matters has been and will be deleted. There are other better forums for those discussions.

WineCountryUA
UA Moderator
====================================
LATEST UPDATE (JULY 24, 00:03 EST) - Ban lifted (reported by CNN, WSJ, Israeli Ynet and Israeli Channel 2)
See this FAA news release 23 July 2014:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=16734

Past history - for reference:
UPDATE - Flights from US remain canceled as NOTAM extended to 24 July 2014
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=16714

FAA NOTAM for TLV -- 22 July, 2014
Data Current as of: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:01:00 UTC
LLBG BEN GURION

A0679/14 NOTAMN
Q) LLLL/QPICO/I/NBO/A/000/999/3201N03453E005
A) LLBG B) 1403231219 C) PERM
E) ILS CAT ONE RWY 12 AT LLBG (TLV) IS FULLY OPR.
" the Federal Aviation Administration issued a NOTAM, or Notice to Airman, prohibiting U.S. airlines from flying to the Tel Aviv airport for 24 hours {Tuesday 22 July}."
Wednesday 23 July 12:45PM Eastern Update -- FAA extends TLV NOTAM for another 24 hours]
Wednesday 23 July 11:45PM Eastern Update - FAA Lifts Flight Restrictions for Ben Gurion International Airport

UA Travel Exception Policy posted 22 July 2014
Israel Unrest
Airports: Tel Aviv, Israel (TLV)

Original Travel Dates: July 22, 2014 – August 15, 2014

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​ Flight Changes:

When rescheduled travel commences by August 31, 2014, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
Travel may be rescheduled in any fare class, same cabin.
For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
Related threads (many have helpful wikis)
Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014 (EL AL forum)
Delta (and US and UA) cancel all flights to TLV indefinitely (Delta forum)
AA TLV / Tel Aviv / Ben Gurion Travel Policy (July 2014) (American Airlines forum)
US Airways Suspends Daily Flight From US to Tel Aviv (US Airways forum)
Change fee waiver for pax to/from TLV due to recent events (Air Canada forum)
Will BA be the safe airline here too ? (Tel Aviv) (British Airways forum)
TLV flights cancelled (Lufthansa Forum)
American carriers cancel flights to TLV (Travel News)
Other non-political / non-omni FT forum links are welcomed

​​
Print Wikipost

Jul. 2014 - UA and DL Suspend Flights to TLV - [Update] 24 JUL 2014: Flights resumed]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Heard they just evacuated the remaining crew members laying over there. 45 minutes to grab your stuff and get out.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I am listening to the Israeli news in Hebrew now, and they just said something to the effect that this was a 24-hour freeze, not indefinite, per the actual FAA warning. They are quoting FAA, so I am looking for a source for that. I will post it if I find it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: delta
With a flight into TLV in January '15, is it too soon to contact UA regarding exceptions or changes?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WaianaeGal
With a flight into TLV in January '15, is it too soon to contact UA regarding exceptions or changes?

Thanks
way too early! I have a couple of trips tkted as well and wont be doing anything since I believe they will back flying into TLV way before Im suppose to fly

that said if I was tkted for a flight within the next 10 days Id contact whichever carrier I was booked on

also as of yet it doesnt seem the Europeans have CXed their flights but Im sure they will be doing so now that the US carriers have. LY will still be flying!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WaianaeGal

Thanks
The UA time window is until the end of July and therefore most agents will not make changes outside of the UA window.

You can monitor the Flight Exception Policies on the UA website.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: delta
thanks for the link and info...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
FAA just issued a notice to all US Airlines and is stopping flights for 24 hours into and out of TLV- http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=16694
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Its unfortunate that UA is giving in...

oh well, now they have a good excuse for a Q3 special item.

When CO was starting TLV, there was concern that they would pull out if there was any adverse events (wars, etc) and they worked hard to ensure that they kept their schedule intact the last decade. LY, despite its incompetent management and sub-par product, is the only truly reliably way to get in and out of Israel (unless of course there's a labor strike!)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by entropy
Its unfortunate that UA is giving in...

oh well, now they have a good excuse for a Q3 special item.

When CO was starting TLV, there was concern that they would pull out if there was any adverse events (wars, etc) and they worked hard to ensure that they kept their schedule intact the last decade. LY, despite its incompetent management and sub-par product, is the only truly reliably way to get in and out of Israel (unless of course there's a labor strike!)
The risks are too great now. What if a UA plane got shot down while other US airlines cancelled flights? Think of the backlash. Its no time to be a hero.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Should improve reliability of other PMCO 777 served flights from EWR with two extra airframes on the ground.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
This is disappointing. As posted elsewhere, we're scheduled to fly to TLV on AC (not sure if they're going to follow suit) the last week of August. Hopefully, things will change by then.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clubord
Heard they just evacuated the remaining crew members laying over there. 45 minutes to grab your stuff and get out.
I wonder whether the FAA ban will prevent crew and that aircraft from getting out now. Can they fly without passengers given the ban?

UA people won't have the option of connecting on codeshares or *A partner LH as the entire LH group, including LX and OS as well as LH itself, has just announced a 36 hour suspension of all of its flights to/from TLV.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The risks are too great now. What if a UA plane got shot down while other US airlines cancelled flights? Think of the backlash. Its no time to be a hero.
Or violate FAA requirements. This has nothing to do with UA or DL deciding to do anything but follow the FAA.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
LH has also joined! Good move!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
[deleted response to deleted post]
The FAA NOTAM is out there. Nothing else but to follow it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:17 am Reason: deleted response to deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.