Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon-beach-type destinations that can be reached with UA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hyatt

I'm looking for anyone's favorite, exotic beach-resort/destinations that can be reached with United miles.

I know it seems like a dumb question with a simple answer (a link to the United route map would be a good place to start: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...routemaps.aspx). However I think a list of exotic destinations would be useful for someone looking to plan an undecided trip/honeymoon/etc.

Bora Bora/Tahiti/Fiji for example seem like they're becoming increasingly popular honeymoon destinations, but we can't get there with UA miles or *A (from what I've seen). There are plenty of other great places around the Caribbean/Mexico that are fairly obvious, but I'm looking for something more remarkable than those. For example, I just recently found a couple places I didn't realize one could get to with United miles:
  1. The Maldives (MLE)
  2. Galapagos Islands (SCY)
  3. The Seychelles (SEZ)

I'm guessing there are many more of these less-common-than-Hawaii destinations I haven't thought of or found yet. We've already got a trip booked to the Maldives for 2015 but would love to hear some suggestions for future similar travel.

Disclaimer: We think Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean, and every place I've listed here are incredible. We're just looking to branch out more.

Last edited by mjdth; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:33 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:16 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Well, we've been to the Maldives, the Seychelles, the Philippines and Indonesia all on UA miles. Truly the best beaches and water in the world. We've also been to the Turks and Caicos but that was before the *A lost US.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hyatt
Thanks, didn't realize the Seychelles were a possibility! And it's nice to find a destination with the dry season in August.

Last edited by mjdth; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:36 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
You must have an insane amount of miles. I have always wanted to visit SEZ. For what its worth, PTY is my favorite place on Earth
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA GS
I'm taking my honeymoon in Bali (DPS) this fall. Booked with miles.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by mjdth
Thanks, didn't realize the Seychelles were a possibility! And it's nice to find a destination with the dry season in August.
On ET, yes, it's coming back online soon. They canceled it for a while sadly. I went last year, was absolutely amazing... though getting there and back on ET is nothing to write home about. Looking forward to going again some day. MRU would actually be my preferred next Indian Ocean destination but the price SA charges to fly there (only Star carrier) makes it harder to justify. ET prices SEZ quite well.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Greek Islands - and given the fact that you can stay on UA all the way to Europe it's the most cost effective these days from a total mileage standpoint (aka UA J or F to Frankfurt and then LH / A3 to ATH, RHO, etc.).

You can add a stop somewhere in Europe as well (not just ATH) and either check out the beaches in a couple parts of Europe or check out another city on the way there or back (say Istanbul)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Greek Islands - and given the fact that you can stay on UA all the way to Europe it's the most cost effective these days from a total mileage standpoint (aka UA J or F to Frankfurt and then LH / A3 to ATH, RHO, etc.).

You can add a stop somewhere in Europe as well (not just ATH) and either check out the beaches in a couple parts of Europe or check out another city on the way there or back (say Istanbul)
This. The Greek Isles are amazing (in laws are 1st generation Greeks) and so much to do and see! DPS is also amazing but a very long trip! Palau is also quite the place if you are looking for privacy and pristine beaches...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Everywhere, because you can always just use miles to fly to a nearby airport and then buy the last segment with cash. If you really want to go to a particular destination, just because UA miles won't get you all the way there won't be an obstacle.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Cancun.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
another vote for Bali.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
As much as I loved Bali, if I'd been there on a honeymoon with the beach as the main attraction I would have been seriously underwhelmed. The romance with Bali, I found, is in the inland in Ubud. The Southern beach areas were crowded and noisy and full of rowdy Australians.

The great thing with UA is that it serves some of the most unique places on earth through Air Micronesia - like bmwe92fan, I would particularly single out Palau which an amazingly beautiful and special place. Beach-wise, on the main island, you are pretty much restricted to Palau Pacific Resort, but on the other hand, that is a great place to stay, and you can get a boat to deliver you to your very own rock island for the day.

With *A partners, I would single out the Cook Islands, much cheaper and less spoiled than French Polynesia. If you can't find availability all the way to Rarotonga, try Auckland or Sydney and pay for a flight from there. And of course, as lovely as Rarotonga is, you ain't seen nothing until you've added a short hop on Air Rarotonga to Aitutaki. Yes, adding a revenue leg on a non-*A carrier is cheating a bit, but Aitutaki would be my very first choice.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
French Polynesia

you can get to French Polynesia (PPT), with UA miles via Air New Zealand. From PPT you'll have to purchase the Bora Bora (BOB) segments as there aren't any programs that allow you to use miles for that transfer.

Flying all the way to New Zealand just to turnaround and head east to Tahiti would be a long trip but I think it would be worth it. We spent our honeymoon in French Polynesia and loved every second of it. We're counting down to our 10 year so that we can go back!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
+1 for French Polynesia, we are doing exactly what mgobluetex did and will be flying SJC-NRT-AKL in business w/ 24 hours in AKL then AKL-PPT in economy, stay a night and then fly PPT-BOB. PPT-BOB is like $400 r/t per person for a 40 minute flight, so costs still do add up.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
I'm looking for anyone's favorite, exotic beach-resort/destinations that can be reached with United miles.

I know it seems like a dumb question with a simple answer (a link to the United route map would be a good place to start: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...routemaps.aspx). However I think a list of exotic destinations would be useful for someone looking to plan an undecided trip/honeymoon/etc.

Bora Bora/Tahiti/Fiji for example seem like they're becoming increasingly popular honeymoon destinations, but we can't get there with UA miles or *A (from what I've seen). There are plenty of other great places around the Caribbean/Mexico that are fairly obvious, but I'm looking for something more remarkable than those. For example, I just recently found a couple places I didn't realize one could get to with United miles:
  1. The Maldives (MLE)
  2. Galapagos Islands (SCY)
  3. The Seychelles (SEZ)

I'm guessing there are many more of these less-common-than-Hawaii destinations I haven't thought of or found yet. We've already got a trip booked to the Maldives for 2015 but would love to hear some suggestions for future similar travel.

Disclaimer: We think Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean, and every place I've listed here are incredible. We're just looking to branch out more.
Cheers & Congrats on the Wedding & Honeymoon!

My wife and I have hit some fun beach (and culture/food) destinations since we got married five years ago, using almost exclusively *A carriers and UA miles/revenue tickets:

Four main islands of Hawaii, Fiji, NZ, Australia, Bali, Phuket, Vietnam, Seychelles, Cape Town and a few islands in the Caribbean, plus we also MET in Costa Rica (both flew UA there, interestingly enough)...for our honeymoon, we did a RTW trip (paid): WAS-LAX-SYD-AKL-NAN-AKL-SIN-BKK-HKG-MUC-CDG-WAS

The Seychelles are an option for sure, and while they literally are in the middle of nowhere...they are nice and beautiful and very rustic.

Originally Posted by villox
I'm taking my honeymoon in Bali (DPS) this fall. Booked with miles.
If I had to goto ONE place on a honeymoon, it would be either Bali or Fiji. Period.

Full Disclosure: My wife & I (plus our 21month old daughter) just got back from Bali two weeks ago. We had a blast in every respect. Beach, food, people, relaxation, resorts/villas, but most importantly (for us): CULTURE.

Out of the foreign 'beachy' destinations, HKT (Phuket) is probably the easiest to reach on UA miles alone. That said, DPS (Bali) isn't far behind. PPT and NAN are much harder because of NZ's availability...but they are possible. SEZ is hard - when we booked it (on miles while my wife was 6 months pregnant), Qatar was a 'partner' and it was easy for us to book: PLZ-JNB-DOH-SEZ in C, but now with Ethiopian flying it, it involves a more interesting routing, but still possible.

To be fully honest, ANY place will be great for a honeymoon as long as it works for the two of you and you've done your research and made it what you want it to be. I've heard less than optimal things about all of the places that I love, so it really depends on what you want to do.

If you have more questions or specific stuff that you want, let us know - the communal responses will hopefully help you form a good opinion on where you want to go!

Again, congrats and ENJOY planning the trip. My wife planned the wedding, and I was lucky enough to plan the ridiculously complicated honeymoon, but it all worked out perfectly for us (and gave us 3 different trips over six months)!

-jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.