Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got the miles--don't have the PQD for 1k

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xox
The end of BKK service affected the calculation for us though. We usually fly to or through BKK ... and of course our GPUs don't work on TG or OZ or NH from NRT or ICN. So either we need to sit in Y for the ~6 hour flight, buy up to C, or use miles. (So we have begun to have a use for our miles.)
If you are booking miles tickets from ICN/NRT/HKG to BKK, suggest you look at booking through Aeroplan or ANA (for *A) or BA (for CX or JL). Those are all considerably cheaper options now than UA's ridiculously pricey *A intra-Asia awards.

This is why I now focus spend on my Chase SP and AMEX MR Gold.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I may be in a somewhat similar boat (will have the miles but may be a bit short on PQD). If I am within $1,000 or so, then to me it is worth a "dollar run" to ensure that I have GPUs for my 4-6 annual trips to Asia. $5,000? No dice!

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, though, there are ways to rationalize it. Making a vast generalization, you are likely to spend about $700-1,000 per segment, give or take, on a W fare to Asia, which you can then upgrade with one of your six GPUs, assuming the upgrade clears. Alternatively, you will spend about $4,000 per segment in paid J. Ultimately, we all know that upgrades are probably not really "worth" the fare difference, but this is one way to look at it. YMMV, of course. Depends on your financial situation and what it's worth to you.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by xox
For us it's worth it. My wife and I always fly together, so everything is multiplied by 2. And everything comes out of my pocket ... even though about half our travel is business-related, I own the company. We travel to Asia at least twice a year. We will never fly in Y again on a TPAC. 2 GPUs to Asia save us somewhere between $3000 and $5000. Multiplied by 4 that alone represents a savings of $12,000 - $20,000. And if we only go to Asia twice, we will use the extra GPUs for a trip to Australia, Europe or S. America, so that will represent additional savings.

That said, we will continue to look at the routes and FF program of AA/US Air, but as of now, United makes more sense for us.

The end of BKK service affected the calculation for us though. We usually fly to or through BKK ... and of course our GPUs don't work on TG or OZ or NH from NRT or ICN. So either we need to sit in Y for the ~6 hour flight, buy up to C, or use miles. (So we have begun to have a use for our miles.)

Another reason I may forego this quest. I give away 4 GPUs to my traveling companions each year

Last edited by icydog; Jul 18, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:42 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you are booking miles tickets from ICN/NRT/HKG to BKK, suggest you look at booking through Aeroplan or ANA (for *A) or BA (for CX or JL). Those are all considerably cheaper options now than UA's ridiculously pricey *A intra-Asia awards.

This is why I now focus spend on my Chase SP and AMEX MR Gold.
Thanks Kacee for the recommendation. I'll look into it.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:46 am
RNE

Originally Posted by icydog
Another reason I may forego this quest. I give away 4 GPUs to my traveling companions each year
You could rationalize the $5000 expenditure if most of the other $5000 was company paid.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I do think UA should be giving a CPU preferentially to a 1K who spends $20k vs someone who only spends $5k.
Isn't that what they're dong? Come next year, that $5K 1K will be Gold, and that $20K 1K will be prioritized well above him.

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
But I really wonder if this will actually thin the ranks that much next year.
Most definitely, but not in the way they're thinking.

While there were very few people making 1K for < $10K, I know a lot of people who are just so confused by the complexity of the program now, they've given up on it -- people who have solid spend.

With all the service quality and reliability issues since the merger, a lot of people were just barely hanging on and reluctantly sticking with UA, that there may have been more ancillary damage from PQD than benefit. Same with the 2015 mileage structure.

DL can get away with some of this stuff, I don't think UA can.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm going to be just the opposite this year and will probably fall to Platinum. Already hit the $10K PQD's. I'm debating for the first time ever if a mileage run or two makes sense this year...but will probably not do it.

We need a program to trade PQD for PQM and vice versa!!!
Same here, though the spread for me is much worse. I'm just about at 1k for PQD, but barely past gold on PQM. Guess that's what happens when you do a bunch of $700 short hauls.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The OP has flown 100K in 6 months. Nothing stops the OP from flying another 100K @5 cpm and meeting spend in that fashion.

In fact, the extra GPUs, 200K RDMs (a lot less after March 2015), another 10% towards MM, might all be worth it.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by EricH
How did you get 100,000 PQMs for $5,000?
YTD Premier qualifying miles:
YTD Premier qualifying segments:
YTD Premier qualifying dollars:
$2,031
4 flight segment minimum:
4 of 4
Lifetime flight miles:

My future plans for UA --- They win - I'm done!!!
Lifetime UC & Platinum to see the grandkids in DEN a few times a year is all I'm doing after I use up ---
Mileage balance: 990,587
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Another reason the OP could have 100k PQM but only $5k PQD: a lot of tickets on partner stock.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LilAbner
YTD Premier qualifying miles:
YTD Premier qualifying segments:
YTD Premier qualifying dollars:
$2,031
4 flight segment minimum:
4 of 4
Lifetime flight miles:

My future plans for UA --- They win - I'm done!!!
Lifetime UC & Platinum to see the grandkids in DEN a few times a year is all I'm doing after I use up ---
Mileage balance: 990,587
In your case, you're three years from LT 1K and till then LT Platinum, even if your PQD is $1. I'd do it if I were you. But then again, I don't know how long you intend to be a road warrior for.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mrswirl
You're exactly the type of flyer UA doesn't want anymore. It's why they implemented PQD in the first place.
Oh, they still want you. They just don't want to have to do much to keep you.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
In a world where you're trying to get people to pay a supracompetitive fare out of loyalty, forcing them to pay more attention to price is unbelievably stupid.
Yes. The business plan is: charge more, make loyalty harder, deliver less. Something's got to give.

Originally Posted by scherzva
I would go for it for the 6 GPU and 2 RDU if you plan to fly UA next year (those alone are worth more than $5000 IMHO).
Only if you know you can redeem them as desired. The black-box nature of GPU/RDU redemption makes the stretch not worth it IMO.

Originally Posted by channa
With all the service quality and reliability issues since the merger... there may have been more ancillary damage from PQD than benefit. Same with the 2015 mileage structure.

DL can get away with some of this stuff, I don't think UA can.
I hope your first statement is true and concur with your second.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by icydog
Am I the only one in this predicament. I'll have the PQMs but I'm short about $5000 in the race for $10,000 PQDs. Is it worth it to take an expensive trip to become 1K again? I love the Global Upgrades but $5000 is a lot of money! If I don't get the PQDs I'll be platinum next year because I have the Chase Mileage Plus Presidential MasterCard
You kind of knew this was going to happen, right? If you could have flown AA with its status matching you should have (sorry). If you couldn't then your going to be flying United anyway, 1K or not.

Every time one takes a flight with a CPM that is less then $10,000/(the miles your going to fly for the year on United) you will have to fly some of them at a greater rate or not make 1K. (not exactly right, but point still holds) Like it or not unless things change that is the way it is.

Your question is what are 6 GPUs, +2 RDUs and a higher priority for CPU and IROPs worth to you? $5,000?

If you are buying the tickets and you still have future travel and it is worth it to you then you might buy a couple of tickets in first.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:54 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Yappy
Your question is what are 6 GPUs, +2 RDUs and a higher priority for CPU and IROPs worth to you? $5,000? If you are buying the tickets and you still have future travel and it is worth it to you then you might buy a couple of tickets in first.
Exactly. Take a nice vacation and fly in style; that has value in and of itself. ^
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by aacharya
The OP has flown 100K in 6 months. Nothing stops the OP from flying another 100K @5 cpm and meeting spend in that fashion.

In fact, the extra GPUs, 200K RDMs (a lot less after March 2015), another 10% towards MM, might all be worth it.
This is exactly where I am this year... looking at my current status, I am at 214K miles and $8900 spend so far this year. And I have several transpacs coming up. I'll hit 3MM early next year, so I am just hoping that the lifetime benefits of that don't go away with everything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.