Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Acts of Random Kindness by UA Travellers / Issue Guesting Strangers into UCs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acts of Random Kindness by UA Travellers / Issue Guesting Strangers into UCs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
I don't understand it, but IME they really don't like it when you help a fellow traveler like that...it's like the lounge dragons get charged for the number of people they allow into the club and you were taking something out of her pocket. I've never understood it.

It's not just at ORD, either.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:49 am

It's a control issue with the agent. Think about it: sitting there all day doing nothing but swiping cards and checking boarding passes. Have to do something to make it seem worthwhile.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Had a similar experience guesting in a couple of Germans once. A group of three, one had *G access, so the agent wouldn't allow all three in, let the rules. I said I'd happily use my guest privileges so they could all get in. She then accused them of soliciting me and said it was against club rules. I had to convince her it was of my own free will.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
The lounges are crowded enough as it is. I think it's a bad idea to guest people in who are total strangers who otherwise would not have access.

If people keep doing this I wouldn't be surprised if UA changes the policy such that guests must be traveling with you in order to gain lounge access. After all, that IS the intent...
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
Did you witness the lady's whole conversation with the Agent? Maybe she was being pushy and the Agent wasn't having it. Then you come and nicely offer to let the lady in as your guest. If I was the Agent I might be annoyed with that happening depending on if I thought the lady was trying to get into the club when she (knew she) was not eligible. Still a nice thing to do on your part
I was there the whole time, she was very friendly and demur, actually apologized for being incorrect about having access. She said she flew a lot of international flights and rarely domestically.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
The lounges are crowded enough as it is. I think it's a bad idea to guest people in who are total strangers who otherwise would not have access.

If people keep doing this I wouldn't be surprised if UA changes the policy such that guests must be traveling with you in order to gain lounge access. After all, that IS the intent...
Ah there it is, I was wondering when the first of these posts would show up. First of all, at 7:30 AM on a Saturday, the lounge was not anywhere near crowded. Secondly, if they have a problem with what I'm doing then they're more than welcome to change the rules. Until they do, I will obey the letter of the law and I don't think it's wrong to expect to not have to listen to be belittled for doing what I think is a favor.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...up-thread.html

Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I am on record as being opposed to that entire concept (guesting in strangers). I've been in the club too many times when I couldn't find a seat and had to walk out. It gets pretty old when something that you pay $400 (or whatever) for loses value like that.

Originally Posted by CMK10
...Ah there it is, I was wondering when the first of these posts would show up. First of all, at 7:30 AM on a Saturday, the lounge was not anywhere near crowded. Secondly, if they have a problem with what I'm doing then they're more than welcome to change the rules. Until they do, I will obey the letter of the law and I don't think it's wrong to expect to not have to listen to be belittled for doing what I think is a favor.
Keep it up...I hope they do change the rules, and the sooner the better.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JetAway
It's a control issue with the agent. Think about it: sitting there all day doing nothing but swiping cards and checking boarding passes. Have to do something to make it seem worthwhile.
Not trying to apologize for the agent being rude, but a very large percentage of the times I enter a UC there's someone at the counter trying to get in that does not legitimately have access. If I were a UC agent I'd be more than bored, I'd be aggravated with all the [dunces, scammers, confused individuals, etc.] trying to get something they're not entitled to.

OTOH, once the OP offered to guest in the lady that should have been the end of the discussion.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:00 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
I was there the whole time, she was very friendly and demur, actually apologized for being incorrect about having access. She said she flew a lot of international flights and rarely domestically.
Definitely wrong then for the Agent to be giving you the 6th degree.

My only other thought is that maybe the Agents are just burnt out from people trying, innocently or not, to get into the club.

When I first started going to the clubs a few years back I was surprised at the number of people I saw (and still see) getting denied access - and correctly denied I believe. Not an excuse for the Agent's behavior, but maybe a reason why having to deal with that all day long. I feel I also see a lot more people getting turned away from US lounges then lounges outside the US.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:02 am

I am on record as being opposed to that entire concept (guesting in strangers). I've been in the club too many times when I couldn't find a seat and had to walk out. It gets pretty old when something that you pay $400 (or whatever) for loses value like that.
I think it may be more from the Chase-UA free UC pass promotion with credit card then the occasional FT'er guesting someone in.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Stephenk19
Did you witness the lady's whole conversation with the Agent? Maybe she was being pushy and the Agent wasn't having it. Then you come and nicely offer to let the lady in as your guest. If I was the Agent I might be annoyed with that happening depending on if I thought the lady was trying to get into the club when she (knew she) was not eligible. Still a nice thing to do on your part
If that is the case, time for some "coaching" for that employee. When I was young I started off working return desks at big box stores and spent a few years in call centers too. I wouldn't have kept my job long if I got visible annoyed with a challenging customer. Got to love the airline industry, where standards are only a dream in the US.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jacobac00
If that is the case, time for some "coaching" for that employee. When I was young I started off working return desks at big box stores and spent a few years in call centers too. I wouldn't have kept my job long if I got visible annoyed with a challenging customer. Got to love the airline industry, where standards are only a dream in the US.
I agree! Not trying to justify the poor behavior, just root cause it.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
United Clubs can get very crowded at certain times of the week/day and I find it difficult to find a place to sit or find a stall to use my laptop. United policy is that *G on a domestic flight does not have access to the UC. On the other hand, OW Emerald/Sapphire flying domestic flights have access to American's Admirals Club.

I am sure the Club agents hear complaints from Club members all the time that the Clubs get too crowded and people would rather relax outside the Club rather than be packed inside the Club just to get free snacks, drinks and wifi.

Sure it is nice to enter the Club as a guest if it is you who are being guested in. But this also leads to more crowding of the Club. So I think it is a catch 22 no matter which way you look at it.

AFAIK American's Admirals Club policy state that the guest has to be flying the same itinerary, although the rules are not always enforced. I wonder if UA will change the rules to make it United Club policy in the future...
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Ah there it is, I was wondering when the first of these posts would show up. First of all, at 7:30 AM on a Saturday, the lounge was not anywhere near crowded. Secondly, if they have a problem with what I'm doing then they're more than welcome to change the rules. Until they do, I will obey the letter of the law and I don't think it's wrong to expect to not have to listen to be belittled for doing what I think is a favor.
(Emphasis added)

Perhaps there lies the crux of the issue - the agent has been there since 5am, and the caffeine had ran out.

But in theory, at least the agent was explaining the rules, as opposed to other dragons who would flatly denied entry. I guess with great powers comes great responsibilities.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I'd think at a call center "visual annoyance" wouldn't be disciplined. You know, face for radio...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.