Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are Expired/Undated UA/CO Beverage Vouchers Still Accepted on Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines complimentary drink tickets (and this includes drink tickets with past expiration dates [which also includes both PMUA and PMCO drink tickets]) are to be accepted by F/A's on United mainline flights.

United Express may or may not have the same policy.

Some have reported having expired drink tickets rejected on United mainline flights, but these appear to be exceptions and the tickets are sometimes accepted by other FAs on the same flight or on future flights.

Some reports of success with Continental Currency -- pmCO FA's seem more familiar with them.

Older thread -- Old drink coupons still good? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM

Flying UA870 (SYD-SFO) next week and upgraded Mrs IainC to C but I will be enjoying the comforts of Y. Have stacks of expired drink chits from pre-yellow 2014 as well as yellow 2014. Anyone successfully used old pre-yellow 2014 drink chits recently? I intend to try but interested to know if the FAs are taking a stricker stance on expired chits than in the past.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This might be the kiss of death for my next flight, but they have never checked mine. Only a matter of time before $misek issues a diktat though.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I used an old white one (expired maybe 2011 or 2012?) a few months ago no problem. I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you have current ones as backup if needed.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
From my experience, I have not had an Expired Chit returned. The last of the White ones I've seen are dated 1/31/15.. Perhaps those may be an issue later this year. However in my opinion the 1/31/15 Yellow Chits should go unnoticed.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Is there a limit to how many you can use at once? I don't really drink much on planes thus type are typically wasted every year. However, I wouldn't getting a bunch of little bottles to bring home
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Will be using the last of my Continental Currency next weekend since it seems like the new 1K kit will not arrive in time.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Is there a limit to how many you can use at once? I don't really drink much on planes thus type are typically wasted every year. However, I wouldn't getting a bunch of little bottles to bring home
Pretty sure that's not allowed.

Asked once to get whole can instead of just a plastic cup during pre departure drinks, and FA threw a fit - understood my request as UNOPENED, rather than ALL of it instead of just the contents of a small plastic cup.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Will be using the last of my Continental Currency next weekend since it seems like the new 1K kit will not arrive in time.
I just tried using my remaining Continental Currency on a IAH-MIA flight today (737.....so I assume a PM-CO crew) and they would not accept it. She was nice about it. It wasn't a problem anyway since I have loads of the white ones....and quite a few of the yellow ones.

Anyway, it was the first time I have not been allowed to pay with Continental Currency.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I wonder if I can send a booze bill equivalent to 10 drinks to UA for this months flights, since I am still

Your kit status:
Pending
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:37 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
You can use all currency, old, new, expired, doesn't matter.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
I rarely use those vouchers and give away most of them to my family while saving a few in case I am stuck on a RJ. However, while waiting on the GS line to board a flight on Monday from ORD to NRT, I noticed another passenger giving away the few vouchers he had left to about 12 soldiers who were lined up separately away from the long group 1 line. What a great idea! I searched through my bag and discovered I had a sheet left as well and made sure I dispersed them.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
I just tried using my remaining Continental Currency on a IAH-MIA flight today (737.....so I assume a PM-CO crew) and they would not accept it. She was nice about it. It wasn't a problem anyway since I have loads of the white ones....and quite a few of the yellow ones.

Anyway, it was the first time I have not been allowed to pay with Continental Currency.
Hmmm, I just found a stack of Continental Currency this weekend...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Liz
You can use all currency, old, new, expired, doesn't matter.
So flight attendants dont't get dinged/written up/in trouble for accepting expired chits?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goalie
So flight attendants dont't get dinged/written up/in trouble for accepting expired chits?
Alcohol is one of the easiest things for FAs to co,p as part of service recovery. So there's rarely an instance where an FA can get written up for accepting old chits or chomping a beverage.

(Shout out to my favorite JFK based FA who, every time I flew a p.s. Flight with her, gave me all the leftover mini liquor bottles and aluminum foil container of cookies to go just before landing)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:04 pm

There was a memo to tell FAs to except all UA/CO currencies even the expired ones. You can hand me any chits, I'll take them all. However, I would not fight with an FA if he/ she won't take your expired chit. Just keep it for my flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.