Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United employee puts friends on top of upgrade llst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United employee puts friends on top of upgrade llst

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Sales folks absolutely have this ability. Also, not just to provide, but confirm outside of the normal process.

All airlines do this. I was the recipient of such treatment at AA years ago.
Kenn and ANC are most likely correct. Corporate sales can grant upgrade certs and status to clients either too woo them or as part of a contract. Outside of that, I'm guessing that 99.99% of regular employees wouldn't have the ability to hack the system to the point of elevating one's status. I'm pretty good (IMHO) and would not have the skill set to even come close, nor access to the systems required.

I surely have the ability to bypass a name or even delete it (for real reasons) but in no way could I manipulate your position on the displayed list.

100:1 says it's another one of the countless legit thing that gets reported as "shenanigans" by someone.

Last edited by fastair; Jul 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm Reason: Forgot the word "wouldn't" which was critical to meaning
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Droneklax
Upgrade waitlist.

Sorry the sentence wasn't clear.

The "United friend" put in a request for an upgrade for these 2 (no status, no upgrade instrument). I requested an upgrade using miles and my position on the upgrade list is controlled by my status, as it should be. I played the game.

Regarding United's ability to upgrade anyone at will, as I am sure some top executives can do that, why wouldn't they just sit them in F?
Missing a domestic upgrade is not worth getting "livid" over.
If you need to be in F, you should buy F.

Ratting-out your traveling companions won't get you anything, and may cause their friend problems. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by TrixieTang
UA can't control every employee at every moment.
United seems to struggle to control any employee at the moment
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:22 pm

It's United's airline and they can do whatever they want with their seats.

Chill out, and btw a complaint to c/s about a person of high authority in sales taking care of a client, a gifted RPU or GPU from a friend, or whatever UA wants to do with their seats is their own business.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Missing a domestic upgrade is not worth getting "livid" over.
If you need to be in F, you should buy F.

Ratting-out your traveling companions won't get you anything, and may cause their friend problems. Let sleeping dogs lie.
I don't agree. You'd be surprised how often it actually happens. While it is not an entitlement, with upgrades getting more scarce, it would be nice to know that you are not missing out on it because employees are upgrading friends.

The worse a company treats its employees, the worse the employee treats the company.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LilAbner
You are absolutely correct. If they want to set up an upgrade program as an incentive to get people to fly their airline, and then undercut that program by visibly allowing it to be subverted, that is indeed their choice.

Bad for business, but hey, so what if customers seek transportation elsewhere?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by fastair
I'm guessing that 99.99% of regular employees have the ability to hack the system to the point of elevating one's status. I'm pretty good (IMHO) and would not have the skill set to even come close, nor access to the systems required.
I think maybe you meant "wouldn't have the ability"?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
You are absolutely correct. If they want to set up an upgrade program as an incentive to get people to fly their airline, and then undercut that program by visibly allowing it to be subverted, that is indeed their choice.

Bad for business, but hey, so what if customers seek transportation elsewhere?
Yep, it's their choice who gets to ride upfront, and the ONLY reason this even came up is the OP is jealous and pissed that his companions were seated in a better section as he passed them while headed towards steerage.

For me it's not high on my "Livid List" where others get to sit, but I usually don't get secret inside poop either!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
This strikes me as a bit over the top, given that I don't think we've established that the OP's friends were put atop the list by way of some unilateral "put these passengers on the top" move as opposed to the use of some valid method described above. I think it's possible that the United employee in this case did use some valid method, possibly an instrument of his own or similar, but the OP's friends understand it and conveyed it to the OP as "he put us on the top."

Even if we had established that, I think it's a bit much to associate "the way our country is going" with the dispensing of two flight upgrades in one circumstance when here are legitimately disturbing instances of corruption in the world.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 6, 2014 at 5:03 pm Reason: VBB Update
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yep, it's their choice who gets to ride upfront, and the ONLY reason this even came up is the OP is jealous and pissed that his companions were seated in a better section as he passed them while headed towards steerage.
Back when UA still flew BKK-NRT, I witnessed the same thing - a GA making sure her NRSA friends were seated up front, while several GS and 1K with instruments were left in the back. Needless to say, that didn't reflect well on UA that day.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
do we know what flight this alledgedly happened on?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 pm

As a publicly traded company, it is the shareholders' airline and the executives are not supposed to run it for the greater good of the shareholders not as their personal plaything.

In SAN last year, I was called to the podium because my upgrade cleared. I saw the printed boarding pass. As he was getting ready to hand it to me another employee tapped him on the shoulder and my upgrade evaporated. I was told -- but cannot confirm -- a UA employee got my seat.

This incident, along with 5 unplanned overnights last year due to missed connects (4 ORD, 1 BNA) and cancelled flights, was a factor in "firing" UA and going over to AA. Very happy with my choice.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP needs to get over it. There are, of course, people at UA more than senior enough to move specific people into F or move them up the UG list, depending on what they choose to do. Sam thing at AA and DL too.

The internal UA question is whether the senior UA person was using their authority in violation of company policy. If OP wants to report the details to UA, UA can look at it and make that determination.

But, UA -- just like others -- markets. One way to do that is to give someone in authority a "taste of the good life" (if that's what domestic F is).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
technically speaking employees on official airline business travel can bump a revenue pax from a seat if necessary. In no way are upgrades guaranteed so no laws/rules were broken.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Droneklax
There's 4 of us traveling, on separate bookings.

Yesterday, I am told that two of us have a friend "who works for United" who put in a request for an upgrade for them

Sure enough, I check in and I find both of them not just on the upgrade list, but right there on top of the upgrade list. And ahead of me lowly 1KMM who put in 20K for the upgrade and 27 years of loyalty to United. No status, no upgrade instrument- just "a friend who works for united"

1- how is this possible?
2-How do I resolve this without all manner of hell breaking loose in our party? If I call United the guy may lose his job ( right now I think he should).
3-Why does United let this happen?

I. am. livid and would appreciate input.

I would like to add that I always suspected that shenanigans of the sort where possible. Now I know they happen.
can offer some input if you provide the flight info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.