Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United and Regional Jets - Are RJs more efficient and economical than mainline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United and Regional Jets - Are RJs more efficient and economical than mainline?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I get the small market argument for the RJs. For example, UA has the only non-stop service from DEN to several cities in Western Canada, small markets that require an RJ if you are going to have more than one flight a day. But why CR700's on DEN-YYZ? AC flies ER190s on that same route, with $30 extra for an "E+" seat. All seats have inflight entertainment, power, and the ER190 is a cabin you can stand up in. UA flies the CR700 with $39 extra for an E+ seat, has no entertainment, no power, and one lav at the back that is a joke in terms of size. I am finally starting to see some ER170s and ER190s on the route. That's movement in the right direction.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
DAY-IAD service is now featuring prop planes for some flights. Q200 and Q300...not even something with a First Class. Some days are down to 2 flights daily on this route.
The Q200s and Q300s are really annoying; at least the Q400s have E+ and F on some flights. The 200s and 300s are cramped and slow... much worse than a RJ.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
But why CR700's on DEN-YYZ? I am finally starting to see some ER170s and ER190s on the route. That's movement in the right direction.
UX (Shuttle America) has used ER170s on DEN-YYZ for years now and it's only been recently that the CR700s (SkyWest) have taken over more and more of the slots. I personally don't get it because I've been doing this route for 10 years now and I know for a fact they can fill larger jets if they used them.

UX doesn't have any ER190s yet.

AC still flies the occasional A320 along with their ER175s with AVOD in every seat. It's really a no-brainer in terms of which to choose except for UA-metal only counting towards MM status and CPU chances (which used to be almost guaranteed for 1Ks - not so much anymore).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Oops, saw AC codeshares and mistook them for UX. So much for my optimism.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Oops, saw AC codeshares and mistook them for UX. So much for my optimism.
They are adding E175s, though. The E175 is a newer version of that aircraft which is more fuel efficient. The problems are, they are putting those awful slimline seats in them in addition to the lack of power, WiFi and warm meals.

It's just going to be a newer, cleaner, more spacious version of misery on all the 2 hour+ routes where they will go. I can't tell you how many times I have flown between DFW and SFO on CR700s (Scheduled flight time: 3:26), always arriving with physical pains that torment me for days thereafter. Riding in an E175 with those same seats isn't going to change that.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Can't; UACO pilots will not allow.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Q: Why does UA have so many baby jets?

A: Because UA's big jets pull out late.

Variation of joke from "Airline"....
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
A lot of people on this forum like to kid around that, if he could, Smisek would fly RJ's all across the world...

Actually, this plane flew across the Atlantic for about 30 years...

Its cabin was 5 inches narrower than the E170, only had one class of service with 2-2 seating, 38 " seat pitch, no video IFE at all (unless you count an airspeed indicator as entertainment) and yet the world's wealthiest people and its most celebrated stars boasted they had flown it across the Atlantic.

Yes, sure it was fun to fly faster than Mach 2.0, but it's still a little funny that so many of us complain bitterly about flying an RJ for "over 3 hours" when that's about how long it took Concorde to cross the pond.

The final irony is that while it cost as much as $15,000 to fly Concorde it also had trouble making money without a few "back door" subsidies, especially the AF SST's.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jul 21, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
A lot of people on this forum like to kid around that, if he could, Smisek would fly RJ's all across the world...

Actually, this plane flew across the Atlantic for about 30 years...

Its cabin was 5 inches narrower than the E170, only had one class of service with 2-2 seating, 38 " seat pitch, no video IFE at all (unless you count an airspeed indicator as entertainment) and yet the world's wealthiest people and its most celebrated stars boasted they had flown it across the Atlantic.

Yes, sure it was fun to fly faster than Mach 2.0, but it's still a little funny that so many of us complain bitterly about flying an RJ for "over 3 hours" when that's about how long it took Concorde to cross the pond.

The final irony is that while it cost as much as $15,000 to fly Concorde it also had trouble making money without a few "back door" subsidies, especially the AF SST's.
Yeah, but no one ever called you over-entitled so it was ok....
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:11 am

well..

the pilot shortage was probably the nail in the coffin, but CLE was closed because it simply lost money. Good local markets were kept - and there are 70 flights a day. All the money losing feeders that were drains on the hub went away (why do you need 4 x CLE-BUF, why do you needd 4X-CLE-ERI, etc).

Originally Posted by channa
CLE generated healthy yields.

CLE was closed because of the pilot shortage -- they don't have enough pilots to fly the small planes at current wages.

DL saw this coming and shrewdly sourced smaller mainline planes (717s) so as not to reduce their network. UA had no such solution, so they must shed routes and close a hub, which is why CLE was a victim.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy
As of April, they were showing a plan to remove 9 135's and 34 145's from service in '14. They will be likely be accelerating the 145 retirements faster than the fleet plan indicates. 43 ERJ's is ~15% of that fleet, so that's ~6 years at that rate. ...
And they are not removing the CRJ-200s

I've started using AA on my regular DEN--MAF (Midland, TX) hops because I can go FC all the way now that AA has started using 700s on the DFW--MAF legs. Just booked my October trip...$661 on a CRJ--200 vs $749 FC on AA.

I just won't do it anymore. The CRJ-200 is just too uncomfortable a plane. Same for DEN--YYC...way too many 200s on that route as well.

I'll fly on the "A" side of a 145 any day, by the way.

I figure if I keep hammering on this in this forum that UA will see my posts, get the message, and get rid of those accursed 200s.

Yea, right
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Its the baby jets on routes like PHL-ORD that really get me....
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Its the baby jets on routes like PHL-ORD that really get me....
That's only ~600 miles...try 1,500 on LAX-MSP
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Comparing the Concorde to a crj200, way too funny.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Comparing the Concorde to a crj200, way too funny.
Hillarious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.