Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Ask Alex" retires from being on UA website

"Ask Alex" retires from being on UA website

Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Second and third order effects

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:33 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:16 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
It is interesting how many threads in this Forum quickly turn into just another thread with several posters taking out other frustrations with UA . Of course, I realize many are upset with UA and take out their frustrations in these FTer threads. But I laugh too at some of the humor.

Related to the topic of the thread, I wonder if UA seriously has plans to replace "Ask Alex" (no not with "Ask Jeff"). Perhaps UA will replace Alex with some live customer chat feature? Or is that still months away? Seriously now, please. Perhaps UAInsider has some information about this?

Or maybe "Ask Alex" will be replaced with "Ask Flyertalk Moderators."

Last edited by mkr; Jul 1, 2014 at 10:46 pm Reason: clarity, reword my sentences to more clearly state my opinion
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mkr
It is interesting how many threads in this Forum quickly turn into just another thread of posters bashing UA. Of course, I realize many are upset with UA and take out their frustrations in these FTer threads. That may make some persons feel better.
Lol, wut?

There's been basically no UA bashing in this thread...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mkr
I think that a thread started about UA announcing that it had significantly increased profits, replaced many Express aircraft with larger planes, cut IRROPS, installed WiFi on all flights, improved food, etc. would still bring out many posters finding something to bash UA about.
If UA actually did something that was "customer friendly," I'd be quick to congratulate them.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Perplexing, isn't it?

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:33 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:47 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by halls120
If UA actually did something that was "customer friendly," I'd be quick to congratulate them.
Thanks halls120. Perhaps that is what is behind removing "Ask Alex" from the website. UA may be improving some of the functions, or replacing "Ask Alex" with a new type of interactive feature.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks halls120. Perhaps that is what is behind removing "Ask Alex" from the website. UA may be improving some of the functions, or replacing "Ask Alex" with a new type of interactive feature.
Seth, who I sometimes disagree with but who is in the end something of an insider, has said that they let the contract lapse. My guess would be that it was expensive and useless -- definitely the latter -- so they said screw it.

As many have said, good riddance.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Alex had a strange "Morphoditic" look didn't she/he?!
That plastered-on smile, that androgynous look... *swoon*

Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I always thought it was cute how Alex would appear different for holidays (wearing a hat for St. Patrick's Day, for example).

Jenn from AS seemed to maybe know Alex, but not the other way around...

Alex did seem to often provide a decent link to information on the site; the search less so. If a whole new site is in the works then it's probably not worth messing with too much. Maybe re-upping Alex would have taken the company past the timeframe when the new web site comes online.

Last edited by UAzip; Nov 18, 2019 at 9:34 pm
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by UAzip
I always thought it was cute how Alex would appear different for holidays (wearing a hat for St. Patrick's Day, for example).

Jenn from AS seemed to maybe know Alex, but not the other way around...

Alex did seem to often provide a decent link to information on the site; the search less so. If a whole new site is in the works then it's probably not worth messing with too much. Maybe re-upping Alex would have taken the company past the timeframe when the new web site comes online.
So, what was the linked page related to Alex's Dog?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:24 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

... Alex did seem to often provide a decent link to information on the site; the search less so. If a whole new site is in the works then it's probably not worth messing with too much. Maybe re-upping Alex would have taken the company past the timeframe when the new web site comes online.
Thanks UAZip. Are you aware of some information that UA is in the process of designing a whole new website? I think it is possible that UA may be making some adjustments to "Ask Alex". When I did a search on Friday to find refund information using "Ask Alex", the sound did not work.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I think the link related to the dog was to the Traveling With Animals page.

All I remember about a new web site was reading last year that they planned to roll out a new web site this year...of course, that was last year and with $2B to cut, maybe they've gone the two-pronged approach of (1) stopping paying for Alex and (2) not building a new web site either! :P

Although I think I did see somewhere in a copy of some presentation posted here a preview slide of a new united.com that looks like the new phone app.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mkr
...Are you aware of some information that UA is in the process of designing a whole new website? ....
below is from April --- not much yet
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...—our new website is in the works. In the next few months, we will begin to launch the new united.com. It will be a phased approach that will span all of 2014, and you can expect that the Preview program will be a key part of each release.
-UA Insider
.... Although I think I did see somewhere in a copy of some presentation posted here a preview slide of a new united.com that looks like the new phone app.
various peeks in some investment community presentations and some United ads.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:54 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
below is from April --- not much yet

various peeks in some investment community presentations and some United ads.
Thanks WineCountryUA. Where can we find this "Preview Program" to which you and UAInsider refer in regards to preview looks at the new website design as it is being phased in ?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mkr
....Where can we find this "Preview Program" to which you and UAInsider refer in regards to preview looks at the new website design as it is being phased in ?
No reports yet of any preview activity
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...w-program.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...w-website.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-website.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.