Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New B-737 slimline interior modifications coming along with some meal/drink changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New B-737 slimline interior modifications coming along with some meal/drink changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Exclamation New B-737 slimline interior modifications coming along with some meal/drink changes

Rec'd today from someone I know at United....

To help us remain competitive and meet demand for capacity, slim-line seats and space saving lavatories will be installed on all B737-800/-900 aircraft (except #811 and higher). After modification, the cabin will look very similar to our newly delivered slim-line aircraft (#811 and higher). Highlights of the modification, which will take approximately two years to complete, include:

Modified B737-800
  • Capacity 16/150
  • Aft lavatories replaced with new, space saving lavatories
  • Relocating minimal emergency equipment (see Flight Attendant Operations manual)
  • Identical interior layouts fleet wide, including three double jumpseats

Modified B737-900
  • Capacity 20/159
  • Mid-lavatory replaced with new, space saving lavatory
  • Relocating minimal emergency equipment (see Flight Attendant Operations manual)

Flight attendant bag stowage
Tote stowage behind the last row of United Economy seats will move to the last overhead bin aircraft left.

HNL-GUM-HNL transitioning to Choice Menu Choice Menu will now be offered in United Economy on all flights between HNL and GUM, which aligns the market with North America. This decision was made after analysis by Pacific sales, Marketing, Food Services and Inflight Services, and allows us to offer improved, high quality products that would not be economically feasible on a complimentary basis.

Garlic bread removal on USA to Asia flights. Garlic bread will removed from premium cabins on USA to Asia flights, which aligns with the previous removal from Asia to USA flights. We will continue to offer a selection of breads.

Other changes of note:
  • A cold, pre-arrival sandwich will replace the United Economy hot sandwich on S-CO flights from IAD to Europe (afternoon arrivals).
  • Removing pre-arrival bulk ketchup in United BusinessFirst on flights from USA to Europe.
  • Dasani Sparkling replacing Sprite Zero Dasani® Sparkling (lime-flavored sparkling water) will replace Sprite ZeroTM as one of our soft drink options. Though the effective date is July 1, you will see Sprite Zero on board until remaining inventories are depleted. Catering locations that cannot obtain Dasani Sparkling will re-stock bar carts with Sprite product.
Discuss.....
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
•Aft lavatories replaced with new, space saving lavatories

How much more space can they save?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
More changes we will like!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
If there are changes I might like here, I don't see them. Minor, to be sure, but I am going to miss the garlic bread.

We've all been Smiseked.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While the typical collection of service downgrades we have come to expect,
what does this mean?
Originally Posted by goalie
Tote stowage behind the last row of United Economy seats will move to the last overhead bin aircraft left....
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Sprite Zero being removed
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I don't get the sandwich thing - are they referring to the IAD-LHR morning flight only?

If the other way around, that's a stupid cut (if the sandwiches are as horrible as the PMUA cold sandwiches) and why only S-CO flights? Joe?

And when was ketchup ever part of the pre-arrival meal? I would imagine only on LAX/SFO-LHR/FRA/CDG (hot breakfast) and even on those flights I don't remember seeing ketchup.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While the typical collection of service downgrades we have come to expect,
what does this mean?
Tote stowage behind the last row of United Economy seats will move to the last overhead bin aircraft left....
I take it that with the slim-line seats being installed, F/A's will not be able to stow their totes behind the last row of economy as their will not be enough room so the last overhead bin on the left will be reserved for them (and with that, one less overhead bin for pax carry-ons so more money for Uncle Jeff's checked bag fees account )
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Wow garlic bread is the only bread I have and I usually drink Sprite Zero with Vodka... A change I don't like...

I've been Smiseked
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
I take it that with the slim-line seats being installed, F/A's will not be able to stow their totes behind the last row of economy as their will not be enough room so the last overhead bin on the left will be reserved for them (and with that, one less overhead bin for pax carry-ons so more money for Uncle Jeff's checked bag fees account )
so left / right vs left / last remaining
Another reason not to be in the far back.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
oh what the... they took away the garlic bread. that was one of the few things i actually enjoy. that's a pretty ridiculous decision if you ask me. in bf i often see lots of other people taking the garlic bread as well. i would imagine it's one of the more popular breads they serve, at least from what i observe.

also why are they getting rid of ketchup? does it cost THAT much? does it mean it's just straight up not available, or is it something where we just have to ask for it?

also which slimline seats are being installed? is it the blue style we're seeing on the RJ's or is it those grey ones on the a320's?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I don't get the sandwich thing - are they referring to the IAD-LHR morning flight only?

If the other way around, that's a stupid cut (if the sandwiches are as horrible as the PMUA cold sandwiches) and why only S-CO flights? Joe?

And when was ketchup ever part of the pre-arrival meal? I would imagine only on LAX/SFO-LHR/FRA/CDG (hot breakfast) and even on those flights I don't remember seeing ketchup.
Yeah, I don't understand the "bulk ketchup" either.
Overall, other than the seats and lavatory, just a bunch of stupid small cuts.

I guess the garlic bread experiment worked so well one way, they decided to double down...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Well any idea that managment gets that they are totally uncompetitive on hard and soft product is once again dashed...

I love the easy with which the current management lies, including to their own staff: "To help us remain competitive and meet demand for capacity"

And United continues its rapidly increasing decent angle...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I like the garlic bread.....geez, how frickin expensive is garlic bread??? The pretzel rolls are bigger, weigh more and take up more room in the bread basket....get rid of them.

Seriously this airline is a shell of what it's two parts use to be. Soooooo sad.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cruisr
I like the garlic bread.....geez, how frickin expensive is garlic bread??? The pretzel rolls are bigger, weigh more and take up more room in the bread basket....get rid of them.

Seriously this airline is a shell of what it's two parts use to be. Soooooo sad.
cheap, cheap, cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.