Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO runway issues (summer 2014 and impact to UA/UX flight operations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO runway issues (summer 2014 and impact to UA/UX flight operations)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Still monitoring flt. 903 and it is over 4 hours late today due to mechanical. 1.5 hours late yesterday for mechanical...it must be true as they would much rather pin it on the runway. Annoying so I think I need to change my connection in FRA.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Redding airport manager ‘very frustrated’ by cancellations

REDDING, Calif. -
A recent string of flight cancellations at the Redding Municipal Airport has manager Rod Dinger “very frustrated,” and seeking answers from SkyWest Airlines, United Airlines, and the San Francisco International Airport.

On Wednesday, all flights out of Redding were cancelled due to air traffic control operations at SFO, and only one flight – the last one of the day – made it to Redding.

Runway construction at SFO has impacted operations for all airlines. However, according to Dinger, in recent weeks, Redding has taken more than its fair share of cancellations compared to other small airports.
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/red...tions/26788618
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
was connecting at SFO on 7/3 to PDX on UA5238, which was cancelled by ATC with less than 24-hr notice. Had to route through DEN eventually. At the end it worked out ok (with a few more hours in the air and late arrival into Portland), but it put lots of stress on the holiday travel planner (ie, me)...

I would avoid SFO for now, till the project is completed..
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by travelsg
was connecting at SFO on 7/3 to PDX on UA5238, which was cancelled by ATC with less than 24-hr notice. Had to route through DEN eventually. At the end it worked out ok (with a few more hours in the air and late arrival into Portland), but it put lots of stress on the holiday travel planner (ie, me)...

I would avoid SFO for now, till the project is completed..
Oh great. I was just going to call UA and see if I could get re-routed from SJC-DEN-IAD-CDG to SFO-EWR-IAD because 4 of the last 6 days my itin would have misconnected due to mechanicals or late-arriving planes.

However, chances are good that ATC isn't going to mess with TCONs when there are still Barbie jets they can dump into the bay...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
However, chances are good that ATC isn't going to mess with TCONs when there are still Barbie jets they can dump into the bay...
ATC doesn't pick the flights, UA does for UA/UAX flights.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
You pretty much have 50/50 chance of being cancelled on united express if there is a touch of "fog", "marine layer"
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by mduell
ATC doesn't pick the flights, UA does for UA/UAX flights.
Yeah, I know that, should have been more precise.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
According to The TravelSkills blog :

“The project is moving along well; we’re a bit ahead of schedule, now looking at completion in late August. Delays are on-track with our expectations; averaging about 15-20 minutes when weather is not a factor, 30-35 minutes when we start the day with low clouds and fog,” airport spokesperson Doug Yakel told TravelSkills.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
sorry to jump in but reading this getting kinda worried!
have a flight from japan to sfo and onto anc and same on way back on 16th august
is this likely to be delayed?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
At 8:45pm I got a notification that my MRY-SFO 11am flight was cancelled because "ATC affecting [their] operations. That was my 3 hour lay over feeder to JFK just before 4pm. MRY before is at 5:45am & after at almost 3pm. Called 1K line and am being rerouted MRY-LAX at 10:45am and then to JFK at 4:15pm instead of the Noon one she was pushing me for but I didn't want to risk it with just an hour if MRY has fog issues or anything tomorrow.
My Cali to JFK was p.s. in J using a RPU and the phone agent was able to carry the upgrade through.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
It's been a few months since I did an SFO-LAX hop, but the runway construction is clearly having an effect on scheduled times.

My flight in 2 weeks departing in the middle of the day (after fog generally would be burned off) is scheduled for 1h41m, or an assumed average ground speed of 200 mph...

Greg
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The 3rd MRY-SFO flight was canceled too today. Morning made it in, the plane is sitting here and the 11:10 and 2:25 flights are cancelled. It still shows 8:16pm as running.
Must suck a fair amount for the pax, since I was going to NY I was able to pretty easily reroute through LAX. I gather is most found out about it last night some may have ended up driving to SFO today to make their connections.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
“The project is moving along well; we’re a bit ahead of schedule, now looking at completion in late August. Delays are on-track with our expectations; averaging about 15-20 minutes when weather is not a factor, 30-35 minutes when we start the day with low clouds and fog,” airport spokesperson Doug Yakel told TravelSkills.
Uh, in reality, currently at SFO:
MAXIMUM DELAY: 118 [minutes]
AVERAGE DELAY: 62 [minutes]
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS
COMMENTS: ARRIVING AND DEPARTING 28L/R
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I wouldn't be surprised if the airport spokesperson was calculating the delay averaged over the 24 hour cycle, rather than the delay for the average flight (which is what pax obviously would care about...who cares if delays are minimal at 2am!).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by endrond
I wouldn't be surprised if the airport spokesperson was calculating the delay averaged over the 24 hour cycle, rather than the delay for the average flight (which is what pax obviously would care about...who cares if delays are minimal at 2am!).
Exactly. :-: An example of this would be today's RNO-SFO RJ flights. The 10:07 flight - delayed 1 hr 2 min, and the 12:50 flight - cancelled, due to ATC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.