Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight EWR to TLV 12 hr flight turned into 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:33 am
Original Poster

I am scheduled to fly United back to the US and I have to tell you I dont have a good feeling about this. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...5#.U6v0hvmSzLM

The United Airlines flight from Newark to Tel Aviv was set to leave early in the week. Usually a non-stop flight, passengers expected to get to their destinations after about 12 hours, but instead were in transit for about 30. Airline personnel refused to let them disembark for hours, passengers said, “making us feel like hostages, without food or water,” according to one witness.

Even before the incident with the pilot, there were many problems with the flight, passengers reported, including broken lavatories, poor air circulation, and engine issues. The flight, which had actually been set to leave the day before, was canceled because of the poor condition of the plane, and passengers were either sent home or given hotel rooms for the night.

But the “nightmare,” as one passenger described it, continued. “We were waiting for a long time, and finally the staff came out and told us that the pilot had refused to turn the engines on because he did not want to fly to Tel Aviv.” It wasn't clear if his motivation was political or financial, passengers said. Security personnel forcibly removed the pilot from the cockpit, and it was several hours before the airline could find a replacement pilot.

I have already paid for my tickets but if I could I would reconsider.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I like how they say it was weather and also maintenance.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Cue the ranters...check

Cue the UApologists .....check

200 posts later, discover the facts don't match the story.

500 posts later, thread dies finally.

What does 30 hours 'in transit' mean anyway? (Rhetorical)
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:56 am

Sounds like a FAR117 issue driven by either an initial weather or maintenance delay. Love how the press makes it sound sinister related to the destination.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Sounds like a FAR117 issue driven by either an initial weather or maintenance delay. Love how the press makes it sound sinister related to the destination.
What a surprise
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Cue the ranters...check

Indeed. Hope the mods catch this before we get to 200 posts. It is a shame what happened, but this really is a delayed/cancelled flight - like many others.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Pilot Forcibly Removed from Cockpit for Refusing to Fly to Israel

I was emailed an interesting article about a UA flight from Newark to TLV delayed for a variety of reasons, amongst them being that the pilot refused to fly the plane to Israel and was forcibly removed from the cockpit at EWR. I've read other reports which claimed the pilot was arrested as well. An article discussing the situation can be found here: http://www.pilotnewsmag.com/airlines...ng-fly-israel/

Perhaps this thread belongs more on the UA forum but since many of us discuss airlines other than EL AL on routes to/from Israel and since UA is a major player in the USA-Israel market, I thought people here would like to know about this incident.

If, as the article claims, the pilot refused to fly to TLV because the crew timed out, then why was he forcibly removed from the cockpit? If you google this topic you will get wide varying reports as to what happened, some of them being quite troubling.

My colleague emailed UA's head of public relations as well as the CEO's office asking for clarification as to the exact reasons why this pilot refused to fly to TLV and what action the airline is specifically taking. If the pilots refusal was based in political/nationalistic/religious reasoning then I fully expect United to take serious action to ensure such a situation does not occur again.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: *A
Surely the pilot would know where he was scheduled to fly to before entering the cockpit. Unless he was planning to effectively hijack the plane, in which case he should have kept mum until airborne. Something doesn't quite add up.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by sds1493
Surely the pilot would know where he was scheduled to fly to before entering the cockpit. Unless he was planning to effectively hijack the plane, in which case he should have kept mum until airborne. Something doesn't quite add up.
It sure does not. What I don't understand is if the crew timed out, then why would the pilot have to be forcibly removed from the cockpit?

Does anyone know for certain what really happened?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ELY001
My colleague emailed UA's head of public relations as well as the CEO's office asking for clarification as to the exact reasons why this pilot refused to fly to TLV and what action the airline is specifically taking. If the pilots refusal was based in political/nationalistic/religious reasoning then I fully expect United to take serious action to ensure such a situation does not occur again.
Is your colleague a government official or the press?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Is your colleague a government official or the press?
Neither. He's someone who has contacts high up at UA.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Cue the ranters...check

If this was the way the original article was trying to portray it, you would think it would have made the news in the US. Google search turns up only Israeli press covering it.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've read other reports which claimed the pilot was arrested as well.
I find that hard to believe as arrests made by the Port Authority Police would be a matter of public record and media would have access to them. Why no mention of charges and booking facility if it really happened?

One article said the pilot was accompanied off the aircraft by two uniformed officers, but this might have been for his safety-- he could very well have asked for police officers to accompany him off the plane and a passenger wrongly decided that he was being arrested.
United said that “the pilot was not removed from the cockpit,” despite the cellphone clip showing the pilot walking down the aisle accompanied by two uniformed policemen.

According to one passenger, it was unclear if the pilot’s refusal to spin up the jet engines stemmed from a possible labor dispute or unwillingness to fly to Israel.

Claiming that the flight “was originally affected by adverse weather and then an ongoing maintenance delay necessitated our decision to replace the plane and crew,” United said they “provided meal vouchers to assist customers.”

“The aircraft was then swapped for another and as a result of the ongoing delay the flight crew exceeded their legally permitted duty hours.”
http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/06/26...-israel-video/
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:56 pm

...If the pilots refusal was based in political/nationalistic/religious reasoning then I fully expect United to take serious action to ensure such a situation does not occur again.
So let me get this right, the pilot that bid this trip at least a month in advance suddenly decided that he had no idea where he was going until he sat down down in his seat on the flightdeck?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
My reading is 30 hours from scheduled departure to actual arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.