Search

NEW: UA Passport Control Kiosks at EWR.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:45 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Exclamation NEW: UA Passport Control Kiosks at EWR.

NEWARK, N.J., June 23, 2014

Excerpts from the UA press release:

"United Airlines customers returning to the United States through Newark Liberty International Airport may now enjoy a faster, more flyer-friendly customs experience. The airline has installed 20 Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks by BorderXpress in the Terminal C customs hall at its Newark Liberty hub – the New York area's premier international gateway.....

United's new APC kiosks expedite the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) entry process by enabling United customers to scan their passport and complete their customs declaration before proceeding to a CBP officer. The kiosks significantly reduce customs wait times, accelerating the screening process by an average of 89 percent according to Vancouver Airport Authority, which manufactures the units.....

United customers who use the kiosks follow a set of simple on-screen instructions to obtain a receipt confirming their identity and flight information. Passengers then bring the receipt and their passport to a CBP officer for final processing.....

United has rolled out APC kiosks at its hubs in Chicago and Houston over the past year and plans to deploy an additional 10 units at Newark Liberty in the coming weeks...."

Here is the link to the entire press release

http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...York-Travelers

Last edited by mkr; Jun 26, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reason: removed unnecessary sentence
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I tried them in YVR before ... Very user friendly and efficient process
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Use these all the time in Chicago and they are great!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I use them in Chicago often. They do save time, though not 89%!

I just love this--

Newark Liberty hub – the New York area's premier international gateway.....
ROTFL!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by mkr
"United Airlines customers returning to the United States through Newark Liberty International Airport may now enjoy a faster, more flyer-friendly customs experience. The airline has installed 20 Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks by BorderXpress in the Terminal C customs hall at its Newark Liberty hub – the New York area's premier international gateway.....

United's new APC kiosks expedite the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) entry process by enabling United customers to scan their passport and complete their customs declaration before proceeding to a CBP officer.
How is this different from the existing Global Entry process?

SunLover
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:18 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SunLover

SunLover
Exactly my question.

Added: I looked it up, go here for further information:
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...port%20Control

Looks to me to be a electronic verson of the CBP Declaration Form.

Last edited by DEN; Jun 26, 2014 at 3:25 am
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by DEN
Looks to me to be a electronic verson of the CBP Declaration Form.
Thanks for the link DEN. I can see where this would save time if when you get to the CBP agent your profile information has already been processed and ready for quicker access; but no trusted traveler status so it is kind of like Global Entry lite.

Maybe this be enough of an assist thru immigration for the 1x or 2x a year international traveler to not renew their Global Entry status if their airline status already provides them domestic pre-check.

SunLover
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by SunLover

SunLover
With Global Entry you are considered a Trusted Traveler as you have previously provided them with information about yourself. Once you obtain the reciept at the Global Entry kiosk you have been admitted and you go to the Customs exit, no need to finish the initial inspection process as with APC.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It sounds like the same setup they have at JFK Terminal 4. I flew NRT-JFK on Delta a few months ago with a co-worker and while I have Global Entry, she doesn't so we used the appropriate lines/kiosks. I made it through to baggage claim a few minutes before her.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I flew NRT-JFK on Delta a few months ago with a co-worker and while I have Global Entry, she doesn't so we used the appropriate lines/kiosks. I made it through to baggage claim a few minutes before her.
So which of you used the machine and which did not?

It seems to me that if the machine spits you out into the same line as everyone else, then it makes sense to ignore the machine and get ahead in the line.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't understand what all the news is about. I used the kiosks at ORD two weeks ago and if anything it definitely takes more time. Once you finally get to a kiosk well that is only to get your photo taken, passport scanned, then it kicks out a ticket. THEN you have to wait in line just like any other immigration place to see an agent anyway ?? Totally adds time. Immigration at ORD sucks.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
They have these things at YYZ now as well. I have Global Entry, so I use that, but it appears they're much faster than just the traditional line-up. There's a dedicated set of agents processing the people that use these machines. It appears the agent-involved bit is on average much faster. Those that don't use the machines go into a longer queue for the traditional processing.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Seems no different than ORD. Yet at ORD you are forced to use the machines. There's no option to stand in line and speak to a CBP agent. So you use the machine and then stand in line to see the *one* agent they usually have looking at the receipts that were spit out by the machine.

-RM
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mkr
...at its Newark Liberty hub – the New York area's premier international gateway....
While I must admit JFK does have its drawbacks, but I would still consider it to be the premier NYC international gateway airport...and I am sure the dozens more international airlines who use it over EWR would agree. A bit over the top hyperbole from the UA PR department, I'd venture.

Where these kiosks are really needed is at DEN where there are just two GE kiosks and many times that number of GE members on inbound flights! But most Canadian airports now have these, both when using US Pre-Clearance for departures across the border and in the Canadian customs halls for international and US arrivals.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was confused with this as well. It seems like the GE line just faster (sometimes) but everything else is the same. The only other advantage I see to GE is getting TSA-pre and the TSA agent being more friendly when you show your GE ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.