Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: UA Passport Control Kiosks at EWR.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:15 am

I used these in ATL a couple weeks ago. To be honest, filling out the form on the a/c before landing worked fine for me. The machines added a couple minutes to the time I could have spent in line - and wound up having to stand in line regardless.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:28 am

I'm not sure how these kiosks at Newark differ from JFK but I did use the ones at JFK this past week and I really did think it saved time. They are only for US or Canadian citizens or visa travelers who have used their visas before. There was no line to get to a kiosk and then there was no line to finish up with the customs agent so for me it was a win-win.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by eng3
I was confused with this as well. It seems like the GE line just faster (sometimes) but everything else is the same. The only other advantage I see to GE is getting TSA-pre and the TSA agent being more friendly when you show your GE ID.
The GE line is going to be a lot shorter than the line for this new program. Plus GE already had biometric data stored, which is matched against your prints on arrival, meaning less screening is needed. GE sometimes gets a special agriculture line as well, which was nice when I had things to declare in LAX.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I used these at IAH a few weeks ago and I thought they were slower than the normal process. Now one has to wait in line twice instead of just once...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
I used these at IAH a few weeks ago and I thought they were slower than the normal process. Now one has to wait in line twice instead of just once...
Was about to say the same thing at IAH ... what's the point to print out the passport scan @ kiosk when you need to stand in line and give your passport to custom officer one more time? Also, IAH seems to be way slower than LAX/SFO in term of custom processing.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I used one of these in ORD a few weeks ago and it was really quick. I was among the first off the plane, though, so no waiting for a kiosk and then the agent was waiting for me and took only seconds to stamp my passport and send me along. I suspect a lot of people would forego GE if these become widespread.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by qfrodo
With Global Entry you are considered a Trusted Traveler as you have previously provided them with information about yourself. Once you obtain the reciept at the Global Entry kiosk you have been admitted and you go to the Customs exit, no need to finish the initial inspection process as with APC.
other than in IAH and YYC where they still ask for your passport and boarding pass (YYC) 3 out of 4 times.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
NEW: UA PASSPORT CONTROL Kiosks at EWR !

Does this mean FA's can stop with the "everyone must fill in a blue customs form" rubbish during the flight announcements?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Maybe it is the internet age, but one does get tired of companies like United issuing press releases about every minor thing they do as if they have reinvented the wheel or something. The kiosks probably cost UA all of $30,000 and it appears that all the other airlines have them as well.

I expect soon to see press releases extolling UA's "new more biodegradable toilet tissue" or their "new, lighter drink cups which save 10 gallons of jetfuel for every 5000 miles flown" as part of UA's commitment to become the "green" airline.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It sounds like the same setup they have at JFK Terminal 4. I flew NRT-JFK on Delta a few months ago with a co-worker and while I have Global Entry, she doesn't so we used the appropriate lines/kiosks. I made it through to baggage claim a few minutes before her.
I flew BRU-JFK on SN with a friend who didn't have Global Entry (and who had never traveled internationally before). He said the kiosk was quick and easy and only took about 20-30 seconds to process. He then spent the next 5-10 minutes searching for the exit from baggage claim and/or not being sure what to do next.

I was shocked to see him so quickly after I exited via the Global Entry line. The 89% figure seems reasonable if you're at the end of a full plane joining the line for CBP.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by eghansen
Maybe it is the internet age, but one does get tired of companies like United issuing press releases about every minor thing they do as if they have reinvented the wheel or something.
It's UA's version of "Look Mommy, I pooped in the potty!"
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It sounds like the same setup they have at JFK Terminal 4. I flew NRT-JFK on Delta a few months ago with a co-worker and while I have Global Entry, she doesn't so we used the appropriate lines/kiosks. I made it through to baggage claim a few minutes before her.
So which of you used the machine and which did not?

It seems to me that if the machine spits you out into the same line as everyone else, then it makes sense to ignore the machine and get ahead in the line.
I used the GE Kiosk and she used the non-GE Kiosk. We both entered the area at the same time and I exited first, but not by much.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I wonder if these are the same as DFW. I used them recently....once you answer the quick questions it asks you to take a photo. If the photo has no X marked on it you pass right through with no agent needed. If the photo has an X you are directed to a regular line of which only processes folks who got an X. Asked the CBP agent and said its a random screening as well if your passport is an old version or has some warping.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Halo117
I wonder if these are the same as DFW. I used them recently....once you answer the quick questions it asks you to take a photo. If the photo has no X marked on it you pass right through with no agent needed. If the photo has an X you are directed to a regular line of which only processes folks who got an X. Asked the CBP agent and said its a random screening as well if your passport is an old version or has some warping.
... are you sure you weren't using a Global Entry kiosk?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Very sure...they are bright orange kiosks located at one end of the CBP area (DFW Term D) while GE kiosks are blue and located in the center of the CBP area. I asked if it was new and they stated they had just been installed....they were very quick as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.