Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Question Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

When Air India joins the Star Alliance, does anyone know what we will earn flying with them from a PQM and EQM standpoint?

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ckidder331
When Air India joins the Star Alliance, does anyone know what we will earn flying with them from a PQM and EQM standpoint?
Not published yet. http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...ePartners.aspx

Once it is there we will know.

I'm guessing 100% on most fares with lower rates on cheaper economy fares, just like most of the Asia partners.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is it true their cabins smell like curry? I'm actually being honest here. I've read on certain trip reports that everything smells like curry in the cabin. I know when I cook curry at home it does sort of linger around so this is why I ask.

Also don't they fly ORD-LHR? I thought so. I tried to confirm on their website and it's down. Wonder if we can get award flights soon.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 24, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Well, isn't this interesting! My wife and I have an award reservation for this fall from the US to BOM with an open jaw before returning from MLE. We're traveling by ground from Mumbai to Delhi, and we have already purchased Air India tickets from DEL to MLE.

The obvious thing to do is add a leg to our award reservation and get a refund on our Air India ticket. I wonder how well that will work?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
Also don't they fly ORD-LHR?
Nope.

They've had 5th freedom routes to the USA in the past but I don't believe any are currently operating.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope.

They've had 5th freedom routes to the USA in the past but I don't believe any are currently operating.
Ah thanks. I'm thinking sometime years ago maybe 7+ I would have swore I saw a AI flight from ORD-LHR.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Ah thanks. I'm thinking sometime years ago maybe 7+ I would have swore I saw a AI flight from ORD-LHR.
Are you sure it wasn't ORD-FRA? They use to fly DEL-FRA-ORD but that was 5+ years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDS747
Are you sure it wasn't ORD-FRA? They use to fly DEL-FRA-ORD but that was 5+ years ago.
Here's a trip report from circa 2006–7 showing Air India on ORD-LHR-DEL: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/150044/

I think they served that route as recently as 2008, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...a-ord-lhr.html
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Is it true their cabins smell like curry? I'm actually being honest here. I've read on certain trip reports that everything smells like curry in the cabin. I know when I cook curry at home it does sort of linger around so this is why I ask.

Also don't they fly ORD-LHR? I thought so. I tried to confirm on their website and it's down. Wonder if we can get award flights soon.
This is a good question to ask - the smells of certain spices makes me dizzy (sensitive nose here) and unfortunately curry is one of them. I fly AI often from CMB to DEL. Once up in the air, the cabin air gets refreshed and it is fairly clean. When it comes time for the meals, you will start to smell a little curry but it isn't so potent. I think AI has done a good job with their meals.

However, what does make me queasy - you are what you eat. If you eat garlic for a couple days, the scent will start coming out of your pores. So not only will your breath smell, but also your skin. Sitting next to someone who smells of curry is what makes it hard for me. Bless all cultures, I'm from the south of Europe and I have relatives who eat a lot of garlic and I can't be around them either.

Another issue, people bring their own food in containers. THAT is what permeates the cabin like nail polish. But it isn't exclusive to AI flights. Curious to hear others thoughts.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Is it true their cabins smell like curry?
i've flown more than 100 ai flights over the last 12 months....haven't come across any curry smelling cabins so far....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
Well, isn't this interesting! My wife and I have an award reservation for this fall from the US to BOM with an open jaw before returning from MLE. We're traveling by ground from Mumbai to Delhi, and we have already purchased Air India tickets from DEL to MLE.

The obvious thing to do is add a leg to our award reservation and get a refund on our Air India ticket. I wonder how well that will work?
The refund might be hard - at best you can arrange for aisle/window for each of you, keeping the row empty.

KTM just got a bit easier for me now, so I'm happy (except for the forced overnights in DEL/BOM).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:33 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The moderators respectfully ask that there be no further discussion of the food smells on certain flights in this thread. We have had a respectful response from UrbaneGent and many disrespectful responses that have been removed. Let's please consider this question asked and answered.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
It will be interesting to see how much (and class type) reward availability Air India releases. Does anyone have any AI redemption intel to share?

SunLover
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SunLover
It will be interesting to see how much (and class type) reward availability Air India releases. Does anyone have any AI redemption intel to share?
The "Airlines of India" forum is pretty jaded with respect to current AI availability - and assumes the worst come July 11th.

OTOH, Eva and the other new *A carriers came on pretty easily - I imagine that *A's IT behind the scenes will force AI redemptions more easily at least for those of us not in AI's FF program.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
The "Airlines of India" forum is pretty jaded with respect to current AI availability - and assumes the worst come July 11th.
On the other hand, I'd bet a lot of AI flyers can't wait to redeem on other *A carriers! Maybe that will alleviate some of the load. :-)

aacharya raises an interesting point about behind the scenes IT; do *A carriers have to agree to some minimal level of availability for partner redemptions? And will LH be "coaching" AI on IT changes/processes/etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.