Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by hightide
A trip to India is on my list.
I'm a little shocked to find that Indonesia - India is 70k miles return!
It was bad enough under the old UA charts that made India super pricey, but now, with the Star partners costing so much more I'm wondering if it makes sense to get close using UA miles and then buy a paid ticket to some place to India.

Last edited by abaheti; Aug 18, 2014 at 10:10 pm Reason: changed "from" to "to"
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: All of Them
Posted a trip report of my DEL-ORD F flight over in the community forum if anyone is interested: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...maharajah.html
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
I can't say that I have been paying very close attention, but I'm noticing that Air India aircraft are now consistently parked at UA's hangars at EWR rather than just on the tarmac as before. Perhaps there's some kind of new reciprocal maintenance agreement as well.
Apologies for the low-res image. What you see here is an Air India aircraft with its tail standing next to it on the tarmac at EWR.

Who knew aircraft maintenance was so easy? Just a #2 Phillips screwdriver and the tail pops right off!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Flew a domestic segment on AI, first one since they've joined *. BOM-MAA. Short flight. Almost was on the dreamliner, but its a late flight, and i ended up being able to leave earlier, so it was just on a 319. Some notes:
  • flight was fine - served a snack on a 5:00pm flight - took the Indian vegetarian: Poha, a sweet dish and also a piece of cake, along with a bottle of water.
  • tea/coffee service, but not a full beverage service (and consistent with my previous AI domestic flight experiences)
  • checked baggage, 33.5 kg. between wife and I - that's 3.5 kg over the normal allowance (though under the allowance for any AI Flying Returns member) Agent looked at the scale, and asked something like "that's all?"
  • I asked about priority baggage since I didn't see her trying to put on the orange *A priority tags when attaching the tags. She said, of course, and proceeded to get out a white-backgrounded AI priority tag (said FC) without *A branding - it attached to the bag with the stringy tags (like the UA ID tags you get at US airports) - didn't ask about it, but I guess they are using up their old stock before transitioning to new priority tags for *A
  • Lounge: agent at check-in proactively gave us lounge passes (guess twe need to use those), but didn't use the lounge at all. I had time, but cleared security assuming it was past it (habit), but lounge at BOM is before security. Didn't go back as I didn't want to re-clear
  • Priority tags seemed to work - bags are pretty quick in general for domestic flights, they were on the carousel by the time I got there and appeared to be out first
  • Miles to MP correctly posted - took 4 - 5 days. I was on an E class fare, so received 50% RDM/PQM, 0 PQS
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:41 pm

AI does NOT give Mileage to Kids below 12 years - unlike UA, ANA etc

I am booked for a trip to India on UA ---> ANA ---> AI

On AI the Mileage Drop Down (to Choose your Star Carrier - Mileage Plus for Example
does not show up --- based on Age) Only >> 12 years get the option to put Mileage Plus
FF Number
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like we cannot book AI flights online. Anyone know why? Or if it will ever be allowed?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Why isn't AI award info loaded into the system

Don't see any AI flights on any routes on ua.com, I know SQ is blocked from UA.com, which other *A partners won't show their award inventory on ua.com?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
which other *A partners won't show their award inventory on ua.com?
LO, for one. Reportedly also some trouble with SN.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mherdeg
LO, for one. Reportedly also some trouble with SN.
I have been able to get SN longhaul inventory to show up from time to time, but never for intra-euro flights.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Don't see any AI flights on any routes on ua.com, I know SQ is blocked from UA.com, which other *A partners won't show their award inventory on ua.com?
You have to call reservations. I was booking BLR-DEL-MUC flights using UA miles. The BLR-DEL segment would not show up on ua.com. I saw it was available as an award on aeroplan's website. Called ua and gave them the AI flight #. They booked the whole trip it in minutes! There was no additional miles for the BLR-DEL segment (as expected), so its worth the call.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abaheti
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3253 Mobile Safari/537.35+)
Originally Posted by hightide

A trip to India is on my list.
I'm a little shocked to find that Indonesia - India is 70k miles return!
It was bad enough under the old UA charts that made India super pricey, but now, with the Star partners costing so much more I'm wondering if it makes sense to get close using UA miles and then buy a paid ticket to some place to India.
This is how I do it. And that short paid flight never on AI.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm Reason: fixed BBcode
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:08 pm

Booked an AI flight with UA. Flight is not ticketed yet and the agent told me it can take up to 24 hours for AI to confirm the flight in order to get ticketed.

Is this SOP for AI or should I call UA again and insist on manual ticketing?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jaywhy
Booked an AI flight with UA. Flight is not ticketed yet and the agent told me it can take up to 24 hours for AI to confirm the flight in order to get ticketed.

Is this SOP for AI or should I call UA again and insist on manual ticketing?
SOP for any partner.

IATA rules actually allow the operating carrier 72 hours to confirm inventory at which point the flights are confirmed and then go to ticket (and CC charged) or deny it and then the ticket doesn't get issued or charged for. Believe there are stricter rules for *A high, and they are supposed to do so within 24 hours.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
SOP for any partner.

IATA rules actually allow the operating carrier 72 hours to confirm inventory at which point the flights are confirmed and then go to ticket (and CC charged) or deny it and then the ticket doesn't get issued or charged for. Believe there are stricter rules for *A high, and they are supposed to do so within 24 hours.
Thanks for that info.
My concern is that the ressy still shows as a held reservation on UA.com and does not look like a purchased reservation that is awaiting ticketing.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jaywhy
Thanks for that info.
My concern is that the ressy still shows as a held reservation on UA.com and does not look like a purchased reservation that is awaiting ticketing.
Turns out the space did need to confirmed manually by AI and ticketed manually by UA.
All done now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.