Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is your CPU success IAH-DEN Dreamliner?

Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:47 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by drowelf
5/11 (Sunday) L Fare upgraded at 96 Hour Sweep.
Wow, a CPU on an L fare at 96 hrs! :-:

I have not seen any L fares advertised on the Dreamliner IAH-DEN. Do you know when to start looking for L on the Dreamliner? The lowest I have seen is a T.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mkr

I have not seen any L fares advertised on the Dreamliner IAH-DEN. Do you know when to start looking for L on the Dreamliner? The lowest I have seen is a T.
Fares have to do with your complete route, not specific flights or planes.

Though availability might be the problem you're seeing.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:16 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by drowelf
5/11 (Sunday) L Fare upgraded at 96 Hour Sweep.
Originally Posted by mkr

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Fares have to do with your complete route, not specific flights or planes.

Though availability might be the problem you're seeing.
Thanks for your input mgcsinc.

Yes indeed. drowelf got an L fare on a Sunday, and upgraded at 96 hrs. I am assuming he was speaking about just the IAH-DEN leg.

However, I have not seen any L fares showing up for sale for the Dreamliner IAH-DEN. I do not think UA has any trouble filling this aircraft.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC

I am 100% IAH/DEN since they started the flight, all range of fares, probably 15 flights.

DEN/IAH I am 95% 19 of 20 all range of fares, the one time I missed was a last minute flight, and the flight before had cancelled.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by mkr

Yes indeed. drowelf got an L fare on a Sunday, and upgraded at 96 hrs. I am assuming he was speaking about just the IAH-DEN leg.

However, I have not seen any L fares showing up for sale for the Dreamliner IAH-DEN. I do not think UA has any trouble filling this aircraft.
Do you mean you haven't seen L inventory available, or that you haven't seen L fares published for that origin/destination pair?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:25 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DENflyer3
I am 100% IAH/DEN since they started the flight, all range of fares, probably 15 flights.

DEN/IAH I am 95% 19 of 20 all range of fares, the one time I missed was a last minute flight, and the flight before had cancelled.
Thanks DENflyer. That is an amazing CPU rate.
How many hours out as a 1K do your CPUs clear?

I have been watching these flights and it seems that there are usually a lot of people on the upgrade standby list. It is just a 2 1/2 hour flight, so unless somebody really wants an upgrade, I imagine only a few cash in an RPU, IMHO.

Have there been a lot of people clearing the Upgrade standby list on the day of the flight? That is what I noticed when I checked it a few times.

Originally Posted by mkr

Do you mean you haven't seen L inventory available, or that you haven't seen L fares published for that origin/destination pair?
Yes, mgcsinc. They have not published L fares for sale for the Dreamliner IAH-DEN, from what I have seen so far. They have published them for other aircraft, even G fares. But so far, the lowest fare I have seen for the Dreamliner is a T fare.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
Yes, mgcsinc. They have not published L fares for sale for the Dreamliner IAH-DEN, from what I have seen so far. They have published them for other aircraft, even G fares. But so far, the lowest fare I have seen for the Dreamliner is a T fare.
You're not understanding the nuance between published fares and availability. With very limited exceptions, there's no such thing as "not publishing" G fares for a specific aircraft type or specific flight.

Highly suggest reading this series of articles: http://hackmytrip.com/2012/02/unders...ine-inventory/
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC

Mkr, yes once I realized the frequency of this flight clearing and how it fit into most of my connections I made a point of taking it. The afternoon to IAH is a little inconvenient sometimes but flying with much less stress makes up for it.

I am no where near that close to any other hub, I usually fly to IAH on Tuesdays and back Thursday or Friday mornings, I hope my info helps. Good luck. I think only a couple of times did I get close enough to t-24 that I got nervous. Of course that being said I still watch the flight like a hawk.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:16 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

You're not understanding the nuance between published fares and availability. With very limited exceptions, there's no such thing as "not publishing" G fares for a specific aircraft type or specific flight.

Highly suggest reading this series of articles: http://hackmytrip.com/2012/02/unders...ine-inventory/
Thanks mgcsinc, for your referral to the article. I am already aware of the nuance between published fares and availability. Nothing lower than a T fare FOR SALE for the Dreamliner has been showing up in my searches for IAH-DEN.

drowelf said upthread that he/she got a CPU at 96 hours out on the Dreamliner on an L fare IAH-DEN on a Sunday back in May.

I asked him/her to expound, but he/she has not yet had another post. I am not questioning the validity of the post. I do not know from feedback so far from drowelf or anyone else if and when L fares are sold (ANYMORE) for the IAH-DEN leg on the Dreamliner.

As you possibly already know, after arriving in DEN from IAH, the Dreamliner goes on to NRT (Japan). I have not seen any L fares for IAH-NRT, nor from DEN-NRT.

So I asked drowelf for more feedback about the L fare on which the CPU was obtained for IAH-DEN.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:22 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Mods, please delete. Accidental double posting, already erased.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks mgcsinc, for your referral to the article. I am already aware of the nuance between published fares and availability. Nothing lower than a T fare FOR SALE for the Dreamliner has been showing up in my searches for IAH-DEN.

drowelf said upthread that he/she got a CPU at 96 hours out on the Dreamliner on an L fare IAH-DEN on a Sunday back in May.

I asked him/her to expound, but he/she has not yet had another post. I am not questioning the validity of the post. I do not know from feedback so far from drowelf or anyone else if and when L fares are sold (ANYMORE) for the IAH-DEN leg on the Dreamliner.

As you possibly already know, after arriving in DEN from IAH, the Dreamliner goes on to NRT (Japan). I have not seen any L fares for IAH-NRT, nor from DEN-NRT.

So I asked drowelf for more feedback about the L fare on which the CPU was obtained for IAH-DEN.
Sigh. Are you using expert mode? Is the problem a lack of availability? It sounds like it. It does not sound like a lack of a fare.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:51 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkr

Sigh. Are you using expert mode? Is the problem a lack of availability? It sounds like it. It does not sound like a lack of a fare.
Yes, mgcsinc, I do understand, and I know you are trying to help. I think we are talking about a misunderstanding in semantics.

I have been flying since the 70s. I know all about Expert Mode. I know they can zero out certain fare buckets on certain flights and then they do not sell those fares. If they do not sell them, I cannot buy them. I also know they can open up those fare buckets, if they choose, at a later date for sale.

What I was asking drowelf or anyone else is if they noticed any kind of pattern when UA might open up the L fare buckets for sale on IAH-DEN for the Dreamliner. I am assuming drowelf got the L fare for this segment for the Dreamliner by the response posted.

I have read about how UA is trying a new strategy by not releasing the lower fare buckets way in advance of certain flights. They are trying to sell the higher fares way in advance of the flight. This may be a case of that. They know that the Dreamliner is probably always filling up, so they do not sell the lower fares.

Last edited by mkr; Jun 23, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
Yes, mgcsinc, I do understand, and I know you are trying to help. I think we are talking about a misunderstanding in semantics.

I have been flying since the 70s. I know all about Expert Mode. I know they can zero out certain fare buckets on certain flights and then they do not sell those fares. If they do not sell them, I cannot buy them. I also know they can open up those fare buckets, if they choose, at a later date for sale.

What I was asking drowelf or anyone else is if they noticed any kind of pattern when UA might open up the L fares for sale on IAH-DEN for the Dreamliner. I am assuming drowelf got the L fare for this segment for the Dreamliner by the response posted.

I have read about how UA is trying a new strategy by not releasing the lower fare buckets way in advance of certain flights. They are trying to sell the higher fares way in advance of the flight. This may be a case of that. They know that the Dreamliner is probably always filling up, so they do not sell the lower fares.
Okay. You're talking about availability then, not fares. When you say things like "open up the L fares for sale on IAH-DEN for the Dreamliner," it's very confusing.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:20 pm

I did some looking for you. No real need to ask for anecdotes -- just go searching. There is much availability in G on the IAH-DEN 788, as an example, in the first week of November. You can even throw it into a round-trip to get it to actually price out in G.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:07 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Mkr, yes once I realized the frequency of this flight clearing and how it fit into most of my connections I made a point of taking it. The afternoon to IAH is a little inconvenient sometimes but flying with much less stress makes up for it.

I am no where near that close to any other hub, I usually fly to IAH on Tuesdays and back Thursday or Friday mornings, I hope my info helps. Good luck. I think only a couple of times did I get close enough to t-24 that I got nervous. Of course that being said I still watch the flight like a hawk.
Thanks DENflyer. Your information adds insight. I hope that many more persons will post their CPU success on the IAH-DEN Dreamliner. A larger reported sample will give us all a better picture of CPU success.

You did not remark to my question about complimentary companion upgrades.

You also did not indicate if a lot of persons cleared the Upgrade list on the day of the flight. Can you enlighten us with your experience?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.