Wiki Posts
Search

Time to retire the sundae

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

The businessfirst sundae is getting old. I think it's time to replace it with

regional specialties at the UA hub cities. So here's a few suggestions UA.

We know you can do it.

IAH -

1. Tres Leches, years ago CO offered it with comp meals and it was the best in Houston.

2. Sticky Toffee Pudding

ORD -

1. Pumpkin Napoleon

2. Strawberry Sable Tart

EWR -

1. Montego Bay Bar

2. Clementine and Ginger Rugelach

DEN -

1. Creme Brulee

2. Sopapilla and Fried Ice Cream

SFO -

1. Coconut Tapioca

2. Baklava Ice Cream

LAX -

1. El Rollo

2. Lemon Tart

IAD - your choice
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:11 pm

I'm happy with the sundae- I wish it was offered on more flights. I'm on a lot of transcons that only qualify for the cookie

Although I must say- the cookies are pretty good too- but ice cream is awesome on flights. Back in time I was so impressed when AC Rapidair handed out ice cream bars on their commuter flights.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
No enhancements of positive value coming. My guess is that UA will see your post and see it as an opportunity to cut something else rather than swap it for something better.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
In the interim, please allow me to let you in on a little secret I learned many years ago (from a pmUA FA): Order your sundae plain and also a bottle of amaretto - pour the latter all over the former and dig in. Depending on your crew, they will either think you are the smartest ever or a drunk in need of keeping an eye on. Either way, it's pretty much the only way to enjoy UA's plain old vanilla ice cream as an adult IMHO...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
No enhancements of positive value coming. My guess is that UA will see your post and see it as an opportunity to cut something else rather than swap it for something better.
Yup.......however on my flight from DEN-BOS yesterday, they loaded 7 lime slices in First.....the FA counted them and reported that she hadn' t even seen limes in ages.....guess the shortage must have eased.

Sundae gone...over my dead body.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Nice idea but that would be a real enhancement so don't count on UA doing that.

However, I don't mind the sundaes at all. I actually like the sundaes but wouldn't mind some of the cakes or cheesecakes that pmUA had in the past. Dessert isn't the area that many believe UA needs to work on but rather the main meal and appetizers.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
On every post flight survey I mention that the sundae is tired. I would rather have one of those little 3oz Haagen Das things or something vs. that entire sundae.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

IAD- Cupcakes.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:17 pm

Sundaes are the one thing that catering doesn't seem to screw up in any city. I would be sad to see them go.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Sundaes are the one thing that catering doesn't seem to screw up in any city. I would be sad to see them go.
+1...and they are only on a very limited number of domestic flights (transcons) so I rarely see them but look forward to them if I'm on one of those flights...most of the time it's the cookie for us
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't much care for ice cream but do eat it on occasion. It is time consuming, therefore more expensive, for them to cater and is popular. And it's a reasonably consistent product. Don't expect change.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UACO can barely delivery the sundae, and not with any consistency. Pressing for PMUA-style variety sounds like a recipe for failure.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by KnightInWhiteSatin
The businessfirst sundae is getting old. I think it's time to replace it with

regional specialties at the UA hub cities. So here's a few suggestions UA.

We know you can do it.

IAH -

1. Tres Leches, years ago CO offered it with comp meals and it was the best in Houston.

2. Sticky Toffee Pudding

ORD -

1. Pumpkin Napoleon

2. Strawberry Sable Tart

EWR -

1. Montego Bay Bar

2. Clementine and Ginger Rugelach

DEN -

1. Creme Brulee

2. Sopapilla and Fried Ice Cream

SFO -

1. Coconut Tapioca

2. Baklava Ice Cream

LAX -

1. El Rollo

2. Lemon Tart

IAD - your choice
40 international flights in the last year and I had the sunday 5 times (exactly the number of times I was upgraded).

Please don't get rid of it ! Maybe I'll get upgraded someday.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The sundae is awful. Cheap ice cream substitute. Classic UA penny pinching. I'd love to see it replaced, except they'll just replace it with something equally cheap.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
The sundae is awful. Cheap ice cream substitute. Classic UA penny pinching. I'd love to see it replaced, except they'll just replace it with something equally cheap.
I know I've heard to it referred as "ice milk"...I know it's not the best quality (and I usually just douse it in toppings, so don't really notice the difference), but do we know what brand it actually is? Or that it's not actually "cream"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.