Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-HKG on Air Japan UA code share: Experiences

NRT-HKG on Air Japan UA code share: Experiences

Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by mduell
I think this is a limitation of the legacy CO technology platform... they can now issue BPs for LH (although LH will sometimes reprint them anyway), but I've had no luck with getting a usable TK/SN/NH/OZ/TG BP from CO pre-merger or UA post-3/3.

It was quite the surprise on my first CO+*A trip a couple years after CO joined *A, when CO couldn't issue a TK BP but TK had no problem issuing a CO BP on the return.
I was recently able to get a BP at check-in for SFO-NRT-CTU (UA-NH) so there is no technological limitation. I had gone to the ANA website ahead of time to select my seat ahead of time and perhaps that was a factor. The boarding pass had the seat I selected with ANA, which was different from the seat united.com was showing on my reservation.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the updates, hopefully they'll continue to improve the partner integration!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by belynch
I was also very underwhelmed by NH 763 C (Air Japan) earlier this week.
I've flown SGN-NRT a few times in C & Y. I'd rather stay home than fly Y. C is good for about 3 hours.

ex-SGN departs about midnight. Service is fine, but those C seats aren't very comfortable. I may fly it again, but it's not high on my list.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I am flying HKG-NRT on NH next week and then connecting to NRT-SFO UA. The NH is in Y and the UA is in BF (GPU'd from Y).

The NH locator doesn't pull up on their site but I was able to call in and just confirm they had the reservation and aisle seat, they mentioned I couldn't pull up the res because it is a code share.
Will I be able to do OLCI from the NH site with their locator?

Does it affect anything with my UA flight? Will I have to visit the transfer desk in NRT to get a BP?
Is there anyway it may affect my upgrade (not being checked in early enough)?
you can OLCI at 24 hours out on NH website. there is a specific page for OLCI. i have been unable to check my reservation using the NH confirmation code using their reservations search features.

i was able to get BPs for my onward UA operated flight at the NH counter at HKIA. no need to go to a transfer desk at NRT.

Last edited by eleeut; Jul 2, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by eleeut
you can OLCI at 24 hours out on NH website. there is a specific page for OLCI. i have been unable to check my reservation using the NH confirmation code using their reservations search features.

i was able to get BPs for my onward UA operated flight at the NH counter at HKIA. no need to go to a transfer desk at NRT.
I have found that even for codeshares it is possible to view the reservation - but in typical NH style the website is incredibly picky about how you enter in the name - and it all depends on how it was transmitted to NH by UA (if purchased on 016 stock). Sometimes you have to add your middle name to the first name all as one string, sometimes a middle initial, sometimes nothing - if it's not exactly right you will get an error that says unable to find reservation...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I have found that even for codeshares it is possible to view the reservation - but in typical NH style the website is incredibly picky about how you enter in the name - and it all depends on how it was transmitted to NH by UA (if purchased on 016 stock). Sometimes you have to add your middle name to the first name all as one string, sometimes a middle initial, sometimes nothing - .
Had asked a UA agent about seating & she gave me an apparent NH locator & said that "they" arbitrarily gave us seats 33H & K. Since that's pretty much at the back of the bus I tried to go into the ANA website to change them since a seat map found via a dummy booking showed lots of forward availability. Tried all possible combinations of name(s), the(UA)ticket#, and that apparent NH locator, but nooooo. (sigh). Next step is to call the NH 1-800 number & see what's possible. Maybe I'll learn the secret for getting into the NH booking.

Added later: Struck out w/ ANA. Rep said there was no way to log in & select seats since "it's a code share". He "improved" the seats to 28HK & said that was the best that could be done (even though the dummy booking indicated available seats further forward ... sigh). So it is what it is.

Last edited by BH62; Jul 3, 2014 at 4:35 pm Reason: added info
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Did I lose my seat assignments?

I'm flying HKG-NRT-SFO and I just OLCI with NH. When I went back to the UA site to look it shows a seat assignment (not the one on my mobile NH BP) for HKG-NRT and then has the -- for NRT-SFO.
The seat map though does show my chosen seat on the UD as still being occupied.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Well to answer my own question. No.
Eventually online the seat for NRT-SFO popped back up. Went and checked in this morning booked for 17C in Y on the mini little cabin.
While she was tagging my bag printed out my BPs for all flights and noticed two said C on them.
Got a bump up to Business since Y was over booked. Can't complain about that! Was a nice 3:45 min flight.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
OP here to update

As I said elsewhere, just did that NRT-HKG leg in Y w/ the tightest knee-crushing seat pitch imaginable. Otherwise, service was very good, but of the two meal choices (again in Y), happened to choose the poorer one. All in all, flight experience per se was tolerable, but not by very much (again in Y). But thats only part of the story. There were enuf other issues to merit posts to (a) Checkpoints & Border Policies & (b) the Hong Kong thread in the Destinations Forum. Long story shortened: outbound from NRT was delayed over an hour, touch down at HKG at 10:45 pm (about an hr past the scheduled arrival time), then sat on tarmac for over an hour waiting for a gate, finally mid-field offload via slippery stairway (it was raining lightly) & then bussed to terminal where immigration lines were very, very looong, so that took well over an hour to clear, and of course, by that time the Airport Express had long since made its last run of the nite, so waited in line for a bus (#A11), then bus ride to Wan Chai where we luckily picked the right place to get off, so only a 4 block walk to our hotel thru the lively night scene in Wan Chai. So all in all, touch down at 10:45 w/ arrival at hotel at 3 am. (BTW, it was a Friday nite, so maybe thats why traffic to HKG was heavy as well as the crowd masses in the terminal). Oh well, now here to do our thing although its stifling hot. Return to US will be HKG-SFO on the upper deck of a 747, so things can only get better. But as they say, YMMV
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by BH62
Had asked a UA agent about seating & she gave me an apparent NH locator & said that "they" arbitrarily gave us seats 33H & K. Since that's pretty much at the back of the bus I tried to go into the ANA website to change them since a seat map found via a dummy booking showed lots of forward availability. Tried all possible combinations of name(s), the(UA)ticket#, and that apparent NH locator, but nooooo. (sigh). Next step is to call the NH 1-800 number & see what's possible. Maybe I'll learn the secret for getting into the NH booking.

Added later: Struck out w/ ANA. Rep said there was no way to log in & select seats since "it's a code share". He "improved" the seats to 28HK & said that was the best that could be done (even though the dummy booking indicated available seats further forward ... sigh). So it is what it is.
Found out the hard way, booked on UA website to CGK and flights show up as codeshares with UA flight number. That makes it impossible to look up on the ANA website and you have to call to make seat reservations. We are in Y and I think I got the worst seats available in the back. The ANA phone staff is unwilling or unable to assign better seats, like exit seats or bulkhead, which somehow I understand. They are reserved for ANA elites, as it should be. But being unable to chose a seat from the website is disappointing. And UA does not give the option to book the ANA flight using a NH flight number, which would enable seat choice on the NH website.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:24 am

Cool

I find it amazing that a "1K" UA flyer can truly state that a Ycls meal intra Asia is comparable to a Jcls UA transpac meal. I mean, how was the sundae? Did you get your choice of topping? And go on to state not one negative thing about flying 4 hours in a knee crushing seat with crappy IFE but he did get free beer.

A few posts later we read of others who fly the same route and are unimpressed, it's got to make one wonder.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by KnightInWhiteSatin
I find it amazing that a "1K" UA flyer can truly state that a Ycls meal intra Asia is comparable to a Jcls UA transpac meal. I mean, how was the sundae? Did you get your choice of topping? And go on to state not one negative thing about flying 4 hours in a knee crushing seat with crappy IFE but he did get free beer.

A few posts later we read of others who fly the same route and are unimpressed, it's got to make one wonder.
I'm taking these flight in a couple of months. What first hand knowledge can you advise to make the journey better? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KnightInWhiteSatin
I find it amazing that a "1K" UA flyer can truly state that a Ycls meal intra Asia is comparable to a Jcls UA transpac meal. I mean, how was the sundae? Did you get your choice of topping?
Quite ironic, given your starting of (and never returning to) this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-sundae.html
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I took this route beginning of the year when I couldn't book the direct ORD-HKG and had to go through NRT.

The service is terrific and up to NH standards but the hard product is severely lacking, most of which is magnified by my knees grinding against the seat in front. Only saving grace was I had an aisle seat booked and could angle my leg towards the aisle after meal service.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Quite ironic, given your starting of (and never returning to) this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-sundae.html
I had read good and bad about the sundae, and have had it many times and actually enjoyed it, but it is getting a little old. The thread was meant to encourage conversation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.