Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.

Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
I think United is a decent airline. I wish it had planes and FAs like Virgin America, but it's still ok.

I may be an exception though as I buy only first class tickets so I don't care about upgrades. The new mileage accumulation based on dollars spent will be awesome for me, I will earn significantly more miles as a 1K who buys expensive tickets.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stella23
I believe you must have an excessive amount of something. I think it is great UA is working for you!

I just flew UA last weekend with my family. I have flown over 200k miles this year. We were treated poorly on every connection. In fact on one flight , the minute we stepped on the small jet, the FA started nagging us about our carry on items and made one of us move to accommodate a woman with two children.
On our last flight of return there were two small children crying and screaming (until one finally threw up) in first class for the entire 3 hour flight. There were only eight seats in first class. I was not in one of them. When I say screaming, I mean full lung capacity, no resting. It was miserable.
On several of my most recent flights, the FAs seem to hate their jobs and have acted like the passengers are just bothersome nags. Flying international business class is a complete waste of good money. The service is horrible and certainly not worth thousands of dollars.
And those families and children could have ben on any airline doing the same thing. Don't see how that can be attributed to UA/UX.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Interesting that those who claim they are satisfied with UA haven't responded to any of the questions about UA raised in post #10.
Perhaps because, from their perspective, there's nothing to respond to. UA works for them, why do they need to justify that to you?

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Does that reflect that it is blind satisfaction?
No, it reflects the fact that the airline works for them.

Last edited by LETTERBOY; Dec 21, 2014 at 9:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Baze
And those families and children could have ben on any airline doing the same thing. Don't see how that can be attributed to UA/UX.
Absolutely, you are correct. It is the way the situations were handled. I have traveled with young children, been there, done that. That is not my main complaint.
I don't live in a hub city, I fly frequently and most of it is international business first. I have been very disappointed in the service I received in the last year. The service is mediocre at best. My location hinders my choice of airline. I think UA can do better in many ways.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: 1K
-----

Last edited by hookthem; Jan 3, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:19 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
How happy you are with the airline depends in large part on your priorities and flying pattern.

If, like me and my wife, your primary interest is in lie-flat TPACs and TATLs under $2-$3k RT, and if like us you have no problems redeeming your GPUs (or using miles + copay), then you're likely to be a relatively happy camper with United. Delta only gives 4 SWUs and requires an extra 25k BIS to get them. AAs SWU policy is more generous than United's, but their TPAC schedules (from where we fly) are not an attractive option and their international fleet is not fully lie-flat in C.

And we have been able to find attractive P and Z fares both to Central America and Europe. We're essentially budget C flyers and on about 70 segments this year only sat in Y (where C or F was offered) on a few short hops intra-Europe (where C is a joke) and 3 domestic segments.

We represent a very particular segment though: primarily (flexible) international flyers for whom domestic flights are not that important. CPUs? We don't care. Since we have to connect to go almost anywhere we usually don't have a domestic flight over 3.5 hours. If sitting in front matters we pay for F (if there is F). RPUs? We give them to friends or family. RJs? For two or three hour flights we don't care except insofar as they seem more subject to delays than mainline (and that is a problem). Food? We don't fly airlines for a gourmet experience (in fact while in the air my wife never eats and will only drink water).

The PQD requirements aren't a problem. The RDM changes will have little effect on us. IRROPS handling? Our experience has been relatively good although I believe it would have been much worse were I not able to feed the agents information. (In the last 300,000 miles, only once did we arrive more than three hours late.)

So while I don't consider us to be UA loyalists (or apologists), for us they remain the best option.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xox
...The RDM changes will have little effect on us.
Just to be clear...I assume that is because you buy all your tix, right? Because as a discount J flier you will take a haircut in terms of RDMs.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I was able to live with a lot of the thousand cuts that UA offered, even though many of them injured my love for UA. But loosing all my upgrade chances and having no more red meat on my intl. routes made it virtually impossible for me to use them reasonably.

Also the advent of real Premium Economy classes in Asian and European carriers, rendered UA a much less attractive alternative to me. I can now avoid the ugly upgrade rodeo everytime I flew UA.
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
..Why must every post that speaks positively of UA, and responses that agree to said positive post, answer to an inquisition from those that disagree?
Because with the cult of UA and the apologetics of UA, there must also come the inquisition of UA.

That's just fair .
Originally Posted by zrs70
Funny. I notice the opposite (at least on FT). It's newer posters that seem to complain more while long time posters (and long time flyers) seem to take it more in stride.
Many like me - 1K of 16 years and 2.8MM - have left UA because of the unbearable changes and are now posting less on the UA forum.

That portraits UA in a disproportionate positive light.

And new posters who are upset, come here to tell their experience that's also not all that surprising.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PushingTin
...-TOD upgrades while telling elites about auto upgrades...
Take a gander at a couple of relatively new threads over on the Delta board. It seems that DL is in the process of copying UA w/r/t monetizing the FC cabin. Many of the posts are eerily similar to those that appeared in threads here a few years back.

There's no place to hide if choosing among UA, AA, and DL, especially once AA and US merge and adopt the "$$$ not miles" model also.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
after all those praises I read on FT, i decided to try EXP match just for the fun of it

last friday I got a free sticker upgrade to AA domestic F cabin on a 5-hour non-premium transcon on a 738. the plane has that overpriced gogo WiFi, streaming entertainment but no movies are free, no in-seat live TV, better recline than UA F, roughly same level of service, and food quality only a small notch above UA (i'd rate AA as a B+ and UA as a B in food, but nothing totally drastic like what's portrayed here).

it was a decently pleasant experience (overall grading B+), but nothing like the "AA is infinitely better than UA in XYZ" that so many people love to proclaim. by the time I factor in their route network, the limited number of partners, potential challenges once they're combined in SOC, and the inflexible award routing rules, i've decided not to jump ship. I have yet to try DL F, but their list of partners is so fatally flawed that migration to SkyTeam is not remotely an option.

UA, despite its flaws in certain aspects, serves a Manhattan-based international traveler the best.

Last edited by 787fan; Dec 22, 2014 at 8:36 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
after all those praises I read on FT, i decided to try EXP match just for the fun of it

last friday I got a free sticker upgrade to AA domestic F cabin on a 5-hour non-premium transcon on a 738. the plane has that overpriced gogo WiFi, streaming entertainment but no movies are free, no in-seat live TV, better recline than UA F, roughly same level of service, and food quality only a small notch above UA (i'd rate AA as a B+ and UA as a B in food, but nothing totally drastic like what's portrayed here).

it was a decently pleasant experience (overall grading B+), but nothing like the "AA is infinitely better than UA in XYZ" that so many people love to proclaim. by the time I factor in their route network, the limited number of partners, potential challenges once they're combined in SOC, and the inflexible award routing rules, i've decided not to jump ship.

UA, despite its flaws in certain aspects, serves a Manhattan-based international traveler the best.
Glad you finally saw the light!

A few notes or clarifications:
- Hope you appreciated the "free" sticker UG...we all know that's not likely to happen on UA on a TCON...they even happen on the A321B
- Always, always buy Gogo ahead of time...all-day flat $16 rate. Very fair IMO.
- Agreed on service, it's not like you're getting CX/SQ
- New 738s are all getting seatback AVOD in F/Y (along with power)...I've been on a few, they're quite excellent planes
- Food...yes, unfortunately, with the post-9/1 cuts, AA is no longer heads and shoulders above UA quality-wise (just a big higher). Still nice to pre-order online, and of course flying RJs there's no comparison.

Fly AA as an EXP for the year and you'll appreciate the difference (much like FlyWorld, not a huge difference if flying in Y as a non-elite, or in your case, a single flight)...you are actually treated as the top customer on the airline. And this NYC-based mostly-business-traveler thinks AA/OW is just fantastic ^
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Take a gander at a couple of relatively new threads over on the Delta board. It seems that DL is in the process of copying UA w/r/t monetizing the FC cabin. Many of the posts are eerily similar to those that appeared in threads here a few years back.

There's no place to hide if choosing among UA, AA, and DL, especially once AA and US merge and adopt the "$$$ not miles" model also.
I don't have any illusions that there is a big difference between the airlines. Interesting to see the others copying UA for once instead of the other way around. I try to divorce industry realities and trends from UA oddities.

Like my mom said, just because everyone else is doing it.....
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stella23
I believe you must have an excessive amount of something. I think it is great UA is working for you!

I just flew UA last weekend with my family. I have flown over 200k miles this year. We were treated poorly on every connection. In fact on one flight , the minute we stepped on the small jet, the FA started nagging us about our carry on items and made one of us move to accommodate a woman with two children.
On our last flight of return there were two small children crying and screaming (until one finally threw up) in first class for the entire 3 hour flight. There were only eight seats in first class. I was not in one of them. When I say screaming, I mean full lung capacity, no resting. It was miserable.
On several of my most recent flights, the FAs seem to hate their jobs and have acted like the passengers are just bothersome nags. Flying international business class is a complete waste of good money. The service is horrible and certainly not worth thousands of dollars.
I am sorry to hear about your experiences. I flew a little more than you did on UA this year and found the crews to be absolutely marvelous. On the rare occasion that I wasn't upgraded, I found the crews in E to be equally good. Everyone was courteous and professional. I've not seen any FAs act unprofessional or look like they don't care. I've also flown international in First and Business and have had very good experiences across the board. I find the service to be worth what I am paying. I hope your experience improves in the future.

Originally Posted by hookthem
Not having read a lot of this thread, I have to say that anyone that is satisfied with UA is "ignorantly blissful". I just ended the year with 107 flights.
I ended the year with slightly more segments than you and I think this "ignorantly blissful" comment is unfair. After all, I also flew 150,000 miles on AA so that puts me in position to compare both airlines better than most others on FT. I can tell you from my experience that UA and AA are almost exactly the same when it comes to my 2014 flight experiences. I'd go as far as to say that folks who feel that UA is much worse than other airlines are "ignorantly blissful"

it was a decently pleasant experience (overall grading B+), but nothing like the "AA is infinitely better than UA in XYZ" that so many people love to proclaim. by the time I factor in their route network, the limited number of partners, potential challenges once they're combined in SOC, and the inflexible award routing rules, i've decided not to jump ship. I have yet to try DL F, but their list of partners is so fatally flawed that migration to SkyTeam is not remotely an option.

+1 AA is not infinitely better than UA. I think the emotions of those here who flew UA for years and are defecting to AA colors the boards.

I am the opposite as I'm a life long AA flyer (CK/EXP, 2.5 LT MM) and due to a job switch had to start flying UA in 2011. I am now a GS on UA and a CK on AA. I flew 200,000 miles on UA and 150,000 miles on AA this year. I agree with you - they both feel the same to me. The flight crews are equally professional and courteous. The FAs are just flat out nice on both airlines. I don't run into these sourpusses that seem to color everyone's perception of the airline industry. Given how much I fly, I find my experience to be the norm and not the exception. When I check with my colleagues, friends, and family, no one complains about UA (or AA).

I think we're going through a secular change in the airline industry where things will never be the same as they used to be. This is hard to endure and I understand that. I also think it causes a lot of emotion to enter into the picture and that's what you end up seeing here on FT. DAL and UA have made their moves and AA will do so in a year bringing parity to the industry. After that, it will be up to each individual airline to compete on service. I think better days are ahead but clearly the industry is moving to a new place - better for some, worse for others, but certainly different.

I also recognize that what is good for me today will be bad for me tomorrow but I'm pretty easygoing about it so it doesn't bother me.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I'm so satisfied with UA in 2014 that I won't be flying AA in 2015. I'm giving all of my business to UA going forward. I find the GS program to be better than the CK program at AA.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Glad you finally saw the light!

A few notes or clarifications:
- Hope you appreciated the "free" sticker UG...we all know that's not likely to happen on UA on a TCON...they even happen on the A321B
- Always, always buy Gogo ahead of time...all-day flat $16 rate. Very fair IMO.
- Agreed on service, it's not like you're getting CX/SQ
- New 738s are all getting seatback AVOD in F/Y (along with power)...I've been on a few, they're quite excellent planes
- Food...yes, unfortunately, with the post-9/1 cuts, AA is no longer heads and shoulders above UA quality-wise (just a big higher). Still nice to pre-order online, and of course flying RJs there's no comparison.

Fly AA as an EXP for the year and you'll appreciate the difference (much like FlyWorld, not a huge difference if flying in Y as a non-elite, or in your case, a single flight)...you are actually treated as the top customer on the airline. And this NYC-based mostly-business-traveler thinks AA/OW is just fantastic ^
I didn't pay for the gogo. I was so tired that I napped through most of the flight, so it would've been $16 down the drain too.

I had one of the older 738s that had drop down TVs but not seat-back ones.

My most frequented route is flown 2x daily by AA but 4-7x by UA (depending on season). That's a tough pill to swallow.

Originally Posted by RealFan
I find the GS program to be better than the CK program at AA.
This is quite true. GS has a lot of real concrete benefits like Benz transfers and converting regular upgrade/revenue buckets to saver awards.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 22, 2014 at 10:39 am Reason: Merge
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
This is quite true. GS has a lot of real concrete benefits like Benz transfers and converting regular upgrade/revenue buckets to saver awards.
You are right. Also, the GS upgrades are far superior to the CK/EXP upgrade rate. I know a few other double GS and CKs who are moving everything to UA in 2015 due to the GS program and the superior RDM earning potential. If/when AA decides to step up its CK program, I'll reconsider coming back but in 2015 I'm pretty locked into UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.