Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at United Clubs (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Reports starting to appear --- EWR, IAH, SFO, ORD, PHL, JFK, DEN, SEA, LAX, HNL, IAD

Four options
  • UC Members - MP number and password/PIN
  • Star Gold - Confirmation number and surname, or MP number and surname
  • Business/First Class - Confirmation number and surname
  • Guest/One-time-pass/etc - A fixed "password of the day" which is on display inside the club

Has a "Remember Me" function for UC members

Note: If you are unable to access the captive portal page, manually enter http://1.1.1.1/ in your browser.

Note on Star Gold login: If multiple people are traveling under the same MP number (i.e. award tickets) only one last name will work with the authentication system.
Print Wikipost

New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at United Clubs (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Looks like there is an attempt to shut down the leaching outside the UC at EWR. Sign in now required. MP #, confirm # or a password of the day.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Jun 16, 2014 at 3:49 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That's annoying to me because I rarely saw people hanging around outside the lounge door and if there was someone, it was only one person.

Speed is a problem in EWR. I wish UA would have invested in the money in upgrading speeds instead.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Was just at EWR lounge last week, and could pick up the Wifi from the restaurants below it, so it's definitely strong enough to bleed into the public areas.

However, it stopped working about 30 minutes before we went up and was rather poor/non-functioning for the remainder of our 2 hours in the club. Perhaps they were working on this change then. Was a further disappointment to have no access to it on the same day they devalued MP
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That's annoying to me because I rarely saw people hanging around outside the lounge door and if there was someone, it was only one person.

Speed is a problem in EWR. I wish UA would have invested in the money in upgrading speeds instead.
The faster you make it, the more people will stream cat videos until the bandwidth is consumed. Notice its cats. UA hates puppies.

I think the wifi BW should be allocated by status, length of time in UA, and the size of your boat.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Authentication on the wifi was announced about a year, year and a half ago. Sounds like they're right on schedule
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
WiFi in airports should be free to everyone.

There are free hot spots all over the world, but not in airports!
THAT, however, is another story.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW

This is a bit OT as we're talking about club wifi vs. general airport wifi. But while we're on the topic, there are a lot more large airports that have free wifi now then, say, 5-10 years ago. I believe ATL just announced it, as well. Not in the NY area, obviously - not sure I can really see the Port Authority doing that.

Back to the EWR club, though, I was at the one by C120 (I think) last week in the early evening, around 6:30-7:30pm, and the wifi was occasionally very slow, but was mostly on the non-functioning at all side. Am happy to sign in if it would help for it to actually work.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW

A story the NY Times recently wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/bu...ree-wi-fi.html.

While I certainly like having free access I'm not so sure I believe it is an infrastructure commodity like toilets and water fountains. It will be soon enough, I suppose, but I don't think we're quite there yet. Someone is paying for it eventually so "free" is more of a transactional sentiment than a true cost thing.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
While I certainly like having free access I'm not so sure I believe it is an infrastructure commodity like toilets and water fountains. It will be soon enough, I suppose, but I don't think we're quite there yet. Someone is paying for it eventually so "free" is more of a transactional sentiment than a true cost thing.
Well, the customers with UC memberships are paying for it, and they deserve a functional product.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Well, the customers with UC memberships are paying for it, and they deserve a functional product.
... but it will be so much better/faster now ... all the issues w/ speed were clearly related to the gazillion folks outside the clubs poaching the free wifi same thing as the United webpage now that they shut down scanning for R/O
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Do you know if guests are able to log in? Many RCCs didn't allow guests to log into the wifi.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
... but it will be so much better/faster now ... all the issues w/ speed were clearly related to the gazillion folks outside the clubs poaching the free wifi same thing as the United webpage now that they shut down scanning for R/O
On my last visit to the UC before my membership lapsed, I got better WiFi from signing on to the IAD free service than the UC signal.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The two could be related . . .
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Do you know if guests are able to log in? Many RCCs didn't allow guests to log into the wifi.
Yes. It gives you 4 options when logging in :

UC Members - MP number and password/PIN
Star Gold - Confirmation number and surname (I think?)
Business/First Class - Confirmation number and surname
Guest/One-time-pass/etc - A fixed "password of the day" which is on display at the service desk (the one inside, not where they check your membership on entry).

On Friday the password-of-the-day was a word followed by a 5 digit number. No idea if does actually actually change daily or not.

Disconnecting from the network for even a short period (eg, sleeping your computer whilst grabbing a drink) is enough to require re-auth when you reconnect which is extremely annoying.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I am not sure if it was adding the password or an upgrade at the same time but the speeds seemed to have improved in the club by security to 26mpbs on the download.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.