Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at United Clubs (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Reports starting to appear --- EWR, IAH, SFO, ORD, PHL, JFK, DEN, SEA, LAX, HNL, IAD

Four options
  • UC Members - MP number and password/PIN
  • Star Gold - Confirmation number and surname, or MP number and surname
  • Business/First Class - Confirmation number and surname
  • Guest/One-time-pass/etc - A fixed "password of the day" which is on display inside the club

Has a "Remember Me" function for UC members

Note: If you are unable to access the captive portal page, manually enter http://1.1.1.1/ in your browser.

Note on Star Gold login: If multiple people are traveling under the same MP number (i.e. award tickets) only one last name will work with the authentication system.
Print Wikipost

New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at United Clubs (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sapguy
Agree! At IAH, a colleague traveling with me but who is not a UC member (he came into the UC as my guest) tried to login using his MP credentials but was denied, whereas mine worked fine since I am a UC member.

He ended up using the password of the day.
That's strange, I used my MileagePlus # **###### , and it worked on the whole familys devices.

3 laptops, 1 smartphone wifi.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
That's strange, I used my MileagePlus # **###### , and it worked on the whole familys devices.

3 laptops, 1 smartphone wifi.
Are you a UC member?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I was at the MSP club over the weekend, and it worked fine there. I didn't have any problems logging in or with the speed.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
At the UC in Terminal C at EWR (near the 100 series gates) today, waiting to board my flight to Mumbai.

Had problems logging in with MacBook Pro, & iPad using Safari. Problem solved when switched to Firefox.

Somehow, Safari worked on my iPhone 5S and I was able to access the login screen! Go figure
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Somewhere I was in the past week or two (SFO main pier maybe?) had a sign up suggesting going to www.bing.com first. I guess Bing don't use HSTS (the protocol that causes sites like Google to use HTTPS even if you type in HTTP, thus breaking the redirection to the login page)
I was also told to use Bing. Works fine on my iOS devices, but I'd rather i didn't have to.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Speed high for everything I do ( not much)
I have noticed this as well, at IAH. When the club was busy, WiFi used to be so slow that it was close to unusable at times. Now, it's very speedy even if there are a lot of people in the club. There used to be lurkers just outside the club sitting on the terminal floor with laptops, presumably using the free signal, and those people are mostly gone now. But I suspect the main speed improvement relates to things inside the club.

It may be that they've had other infrastructure improvements installed at the same time as the authentication. Perhaps they have QoS in the router which will automatically detect people doing large downloads and de-prioritize them. Perhaps the upstream connection is faster. Perhaps the requirement to log in has dramatically cut down the number of devices that people are carrying that passively would connect and start downloading updates even though the user wasn't using them at the time. Who knows. Whatever it is, the 30 seconds it now takes to log in is well worth the result.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Which login option are people using that prompts you for an account password? Using the wifi in EWR, NRT, and SFO over the last couple weeks I was always entering MP# and last name. None of them asked for my MP password.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nookanaya
Which login option are people using that prompts you for an account password? Using the wifi in EWR, NRT, and SFO over the last couple weeks I was always entering MP# and last name. None of them asked for my MP password.
In DEN, SEA, ORD and I think IAD it asked for MP # and password. Maybe they are using a slightly different authentication method between airports? Or changed it since I actually used the wifi in a UC last (about 2 weeks ago).
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Wifi @ SFO temp club this past weekend was MP# and PIN/password IME. That's for UC members.

For others it is PNR and surname. See wiki for details.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Steve M
I have noticed this as well, at IAH. When the club was busy, WiFi used to be so slow that it was close to unusable at times. Now, it's very speedy even if there are a lot of people in the club. There used to be lurkers just outside the club sitting on the terminal floor with laptops, presumably using the free signal, and those people are mostly gone now. But I suspect the main speed improvement relates to things inside the club.

It may be that they've had other infrastructure improvements installed at the same time as the authentication. Perhaps they have QoS in the router which will automatically detect people doing large downloads and de-prioritize them. Perhaps the upstream connection is faster. Perhaps the requirement to log in has dramatically cut down the number of devices that people are carrying that passively would connect and start downloading updates even though the user wasn't using them at the time. Who knows. Whatever it is, the 30 seconds it now takes to log in is well worth the result.
It's likely related to this: http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~rek/Nets2/C10...ce_Anomaly.pdf

A *single* slow client (slow meaning that it has a very crappy connection to the access point and therefore transmits at a very low data rate, taking up a lot of time on the wifi channel) will degrade everyone's throughput to something less than that of the slow client. Multiple slow clients make it even worse. Strangely, the way to improve this is to give everyone a fast connection to some access point close to them, in this case, if they had put APs outside of the United Club, connections inside the United Club would probably stop sucking so much. Or, airports should just do their part in providing free wifi in the terminals. Nobody is going to use a connection with a crappy signal if a free connection with a good signal exists at the same location.

It should be noted that the same phenomenon exists with modern technologies (11n/11ac) and even more so, because the range of data rates that the new technologies work at is much greater than the 11:1 ratio of the old 11b technology.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wifi @ SFO temp club this past weekend was MP# and PIN/password IME. That's for UC members.

For others it is PNR and surname. See wiki for details.
That must be it. I was using the *G login, however it was absolutely working with MP# and last name. Never once had to look up my PNR.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
That must be it. I was using the *G login, however it was absolutely working with MP# and last name. Never once had to look up my PNR.
That worked for me yesterday at the club in EWR by the 70s gates. Used my MP#/name from the *G login page and logged me in fine. Not a club member, and was in there prior to my domestic segment after landing from YYZ.

Wasn't doing any heavy browsing, but seemed pretty quick to me. Last time I was in the club by the 100s at EWR, I was using my phone and has to switch back to cell data since wifi was hardly working at all.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sapguy
Are you a UC member?
UA Plat Member and I have club membership (Club CreditCard) but I used my FF # to get in on all devices.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Silly move of UA. Many airports offer free wifi already, and within a year or two pretty much all airports will.
I have been in UC's and choose to use the airport wifi because I didnt want to hassle with the password or signin procedures.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Silly move of UA. Many airports offer free wifi already, and within a year or two pretty much all airports will.
I have been in UC's and choose to use the airport wifi because I didnt want to hassle with the password or signin procedures.
Yes, many airports already offer wifi. Sometimes, they don't work well in the lounges, depending on where they are. Some still charge, particularly in quite a few large US airports including UA hubs (ORD and EWR specifically come to mind). Sometimes in international airports, they require a code to verify be sent to a phone number - which doesn't work for folks who don't have local cell service. Not sure that all will have free wifi in a couple of years (If you think the PANYNJ will change anything from pay to free at LGA, EWR and JFK, I'm sorry I'm going to have to strongly disagree).

At YYZ, I usually use the free airport-wide wifi since it works pretty well and is strong in the transborder lounge. Iffy for the club wifi there. But if it works, I don't mind signing in - the several seconds it takes to sign in really isn't a big deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.