Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at United Clubs (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Reports starting to appear --- EWR, IAH, SFO, ORD, PHL, JFK, DEN, SEA, LAX, HNL, IAD

Four options
  • UC Members - MP number and password/PIN
  • Star Gold - Confirmation number and surname, or MP number and surname
  • Business/First Class - Confirmation number and surname
  • Guest/One-time-pass/etc - A fixed "password of the day" which is on display inside the club

Has a "Remember Me" function for UC members

Note: If you are unable to access the captive portal page, manually enter http://1.1.1.1/ in your browser.

Note on Star Gold login: If multiple people are traveling under the same MP number (i.e. award tickets) only one last name will work with the authentication system.
Print Wikipost

New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at United Clubs (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
EWR club near C102

MP number verification needed, had to be linked to club, the kids MP did not work

Speed high for everything I do ( not much)
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So has anyone run a test yet to see if entering your MP#/Password actually checks if you're a UC member?

I encountered this new login at SEA and LAX on my way to SYD this past week and I just used the Password of the Day.

But I'm wondering if I'm outside the club (e.g. in SEA) and don't have UC access because I'm not going intl whether I would be denied or not. I assume that UA does a check in the background after I enter my credentials on whether I have UC access tied to my account or not. But given how bad IT is at UA I'm not sure they bothered to do that.

-RM
Your M+ profile contains a UC flag which is what gives you member access to UC WiFi. That suggests you would be denied access when lurking outside the SEA UC.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
So does that mean an MP gold without a UC membership (that would describe me) traveling internationally can not use my MP credentials to log in, and will need to either use the *G method (PNR/name) or the password of the day?
You will need to use the password of the day. They will either hand you a little slip of paper or you will find it prominently displayed inside the UC.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by YRKInsider
Your M+ profile contains a UC flag which is what gives you member access to UC WiFi. That suggests you would be denied access when lurking outside the SEA UC.
Agree! At IAH, a colleague traveling with me but who is not a UC member (he came into the UC as my guest) tried to login using his MP credentials but was denied, whereas mine worked fine since I am a UC member.

He ended up using the password of the day.

Last edited by sapguy; Sep 13, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by pauljacobson958
At IAD - Safari Problems? -- I'm at the IAD C Concourse club and authentication is in effect. Was able to sign on through iPad by providing FF# and password but was unable to sign on with MAC laptop using Safari. Was, however, able to sign on and go through authentication on MAC using Chrome browser. May just be my machine but might also be an issue with Safari.
---Update---
After I signed on using Chrome I was then able to access the Internet using Safari.
Originally Posted by maduarte
It seems Safari problems are still present. I'm wondering what percentage of the membership is affected by this issue, since it hasn't been addressed yet...
I hear there is a bug in either Safari or in the authentication method employed by UA on its routers. The bug prevents the usual Apple authentication page that pops up when connecting to a new or known network. Chrome is the usual work-around. After Chrome authentication, any browser or application using/requesting internet services will work.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I would NEVER use any secure credentials (your MP number and password) to login to such a network. Use the alternative means listed at the top of this thread.
That probably won't work if you're a general member and don't have access conferred by another means (e.g. class of service). Have you tried? If so, I'd take your advice, since the combo of your surname and confirmation code would be a one-time combination-in theory. Getting rid of the PIN and moving to more secure password-based authentication would be a good thing for MP accounts (but I'm pretty sure that's a different thread...).
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sapguy
You will need to use the password of the day. They will either hand you a little slip of paper or you will find it prominently displayed inside the UC.

If you are seated in a premium cabin on an international flight, and are therefore, "allowed" UC entry, you should be able to login with your MP login credentials. That's what the welcome screen indicates, anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My Safari browser worked fine at the LAX T-7 UC a couple of weeks ago, but then when I went to one of the ORD UC's later in the day, the browser didn't work. I got the dreaded dead screen. Same for the return trip: It worked in the C17 UC at ORD, but when my gate changed and I went to one of the UC's in B, my Safari browser was "dead."
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would NEVER use any secure credentials (your MP number and password) to login to such a network. Use the alternative means listed at the top of this thread.
Why not? The data is just processed by UA's systems, same as logging in to the website or to the wifi portal on the plane.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SS255
My Safari browser worked fine at the LAX T-7 UC a couple of weeks ago, but then when I went to one of the ORD UC's later in the day, the browser didn't work. I got the dreaded dead screen. Same for the return trip: It worked in the C17 UC at ORD, but when my gate changed and I went to one of the UC's in B, my Safari browser was "dead."
iOS and osx have troubles it seems.

Sitting in the GF lounge at ORD (next door to C17 UC) tonight. My wife had no problem logging in with her iphone.

It didn't work me until I connected to the wifi via the united iphone app. Top corner -> wifi and entertainment -> continue to unitedeifi.com. My wife does not have the app installed.

For osx, I had to use google chrome to get authenticated. Many wifi set ups confound osx safari.

I've never had a problem in DEN since authentication was added last month.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Yep.. This is one of those services that my OSX system does not pick up..

ie I need to make sure I visit a non https site to get to the log in screen...

I was cursing UA last week when wifi seemed inoperable until I did this and then, to give credit where credit is due, wifi was darn near good!*

*Spoiled by LH Senator lounges..
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
ie I need to make sure I visit a non https site to get to the log in screen...
Somewhere I was in the past week or two (SFO main pier maybe?) had a sign up suggesting going to www.bing.com first. I guess Bing don't use HSTS (the protocol that causes sites like Google to use HTTPS even if you type in HTTP, thus breaking the redirection to the login page)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:19 pm

I didn't see it in the wiki, but HNL United Club is now utilizing this.

I laughed because I think I was eligible for all the options provided to connect to wifi.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is my first time in the HKG UC and was handed a slip of paper when I entered with the password. Not sure if it is password of the day or not.

This must not be the same system as I didn't have a splash page to login. Just associate to the United2 SSID and enter the key.

Last edited by RockinRon; Sep 17, 2014 at 2:33 am Reason: More detail
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
+1000
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Micp3208
In Newark on 9/7, I logged in using my MP# and Password without an issue, but I am a UC Member. My partner however, is not, and his MP# and Password rejected him.

In an ideal world, it would allow those ticketed on the same reservation as UC Member to have access to the wifi. Though, I bet setting that up is a bit of a hassle when there certainly are bigger concerns.
Thanks. Basically confirms that if you don't have a United Club membership tied to your account then entering your details won't do any good (at least when you're not traveling internationally).

Originally Posted by emcampbe
So does that mean an MP gold without a UC membership (that would describe me) traveling internationally can not use my MP credentials to log in, and will need to either use the *G method (PNR/name) or the password of the day?
Not sure, but why does it matter? Entering the clearly displayed code-of-the-day is easier than entering two pieces of information. Not sure if the web page allows saving of the form data in the browser if you enter MP# and password. When I was in LAX last week heading to SYD I specifically chose to enter the password of the day because then UA can't track that I used their WiFi in a club. They can only track I entered the club via BP scan. (Big brother data).

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.