Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Routes: IAH-SCL, IAH-PUJ, and ORD-BZE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes: IAH-SCL, IAH-PUJ, and ORD-BZE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I have a flight booked IAH-SCL middish Dec. I still see "Subject to receipt of government operating authority". I know it's still 6+ weeks away, but do they have the receipt and the website just hasn't been updated?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST

I can count the number of false starts

This is just good business though. These routes don't just get cancelled for the sake of cancelling them. Being usually an AC flyer, there's been more than a few of these as well. New routes are being started at a good clip because business is good right now but it's just a matter of time before it becomes evident there aren't 300 pax needing to go YYZ-CPH daily. Or 150 MORE pax needing to go YYZ-PTY when Copa is already there and usually cheaper.

The demand will determine the success which isn't a new concept or anything, but gone are the days that airlines can fly what I would call "random" routes, like Canadian Airlines flying direct to Prague.

Sure someone ALWAYS gets offended and feels put out when these get cancelled, but for the few regulars that exist the empty seats don't justify it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Ua to begin service to Santiago of Chile on 12/14

Hello I heard last night on Ua 818 that service will begin IAH - SCL on 763
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mlibers
Hello I heard last night on Ua 818 that service will begin IAH - SCL on 763
Yup it was announced a while back. There's a thread somewhere around here with the info.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm at the gate now for the SCL inaugural. No celebration happening at all; just another regular day of flying. Well, except the part where they don't have the flight listed on any departure boards at IAH.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm at the gate now for the SCL inaugural. No celebration happening at all; just another regular day of flying. Well, except the part where they don't have the flight listed on any departure boards at IAH.
Enjoy your trip. I look forward to reading more about it soon.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:28 pm
RNE

From the picture you tweeted, looks like SCL was appropriately celebratory at least.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
From the picture you tweeted, looks like SCL was appropriately celebratory at least.
Yup...we got a water canon salute in SCL. And the crew was talking up the inaugural part a bit as well. But it seems that corporate HQ decided not to make as big a deal about the actual flight. I know there was a celebration in Houston last week for the route but otherwise very tame.

Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But it seems that corporate HQ decided not to make as big a deal about the actual flight.
Hedging bets in case it doesn't work out. Like IAH-NRT #2 . . . .
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hedging bets in case it doesn't work out. Like IAH-NRT #2 . . . .
Lame. How about some marketing! I and several others are excited about this flight, as we've spent time in Chile and have friends & colleagues there!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:03 pm
RNE

It's the departure time of the return flight I can't hack.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:50 pm

IAH-SCL (Santiago de Chile), new flight

Interesting that UA is joining DL and AA in flying to Santiago de Chile, although my preference remains DL for its front-of-the-cabin seating. In contrast, the UA 767-300 is only good in the window seats in Row 1 (a few inches more leg room, and quieter than the aisle seats).

But, UA does not have any sort of departures lounge or affiliate in SCL, unlike DL and AA, both of which have lounges with showers in SCL -- great before such a long overnight flight. Any chance UA will come up with anything comparable? Maybe the UA website hasn't been updated yet.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:14 pm

UA uses the DL lounge in SCL.

I was on the inaugural IAH-SCL. It was just fine.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Interesting that UA is joining DL and AA in flying to Santiago de Chile
It's been available for several months now.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's been available for several months now.
Not really. The first UA IAH-SCL flight was on 7 December, just 3 weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.