Search

scheduling on top of other flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
scheduling on top of other flights

I am flying today from Phil-ORD-stl. Got to ORD fine. Flight to stl immediately starts getting delay messages. I check "where is aircraft coming from" option. It says it is coming from stl and will arrive 9 minutes early! I am now confused and look into and realize that the flight from stl is scheduled to arrive at8:08am which is my departure time.

How is this possible? I ask at gate and they say this is how it is done. This is absurd. This flight will necessitate a delY every time. I don't understand the benefit of this to UAL?

We now are arriving 39 mins late. Who wins in this?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You're using day of data to assume UA always builds in such tight turnaround times. That's not how it works. UA does sometimes assume one can turnaround a plane as fast as WN can, but it's nothing how the data implies it to be. The GA was talking about that aspect, not your particular set of circumstances.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I think the GA gave you a quick answer to get rid of you. I fly these types of routes all over from ORD and have never seen that. My money is on some type of equipment change. Maybe the first shuttle of the day went mechanical. I'm not sure how one could research that.

UA is claiming the incoming aircraft departed 36 minutes late, which is only the case if it was a different plane than the one you're now on.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I think the GA gave you a quick answer to get rid of you. I fly these types of routes all over from ORD and have never seen that. My money is on some type of equipment change. Maybe the first shuttle of the day went mechanical. I'm not sure how one could research that.

UA is claiming the incoming aircraft departed 36 minutes late, which is only the case if it was a different plane than the one you're now on.
This. If they were able to sub in another aircraft in place that had a chance to depart closer on time will look like it was scheduled that way from the start when you look to see where the aircraft is coming from. It's all real-time information, and it may not be as was originally scheduled.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the day of, the only thing that matters is what time the aircraft assigned to make up your flight is scheduled to and then departs.

There is no reason to get worked up about how carrier operations look on a one-line display on the website as it doesn't tell you anything and doesn't mean that you will or won't get to STL ontime.

While it can be a useful function, it also creates a lot of angst. Maybe, it's TMI.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
While it can be a useful function, it also creates a lot of angst. Maybe, it's TMI.
particularly for UX flights -- very common for the data to be incorrect in irrops for UX and I have seen data errors for mainline (but less so).
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
No, this isn't correct. Check the scheduling today. Flight 3410 from STL-ORD was to arrive at 8:08/scheduled and this was the actual plane to return to STL at 8:08 also. The GA confirmed this and that this happens. This wasn't a switch, it was how it was scheduled, without delays, without mechanicals.

Here is the info from the UAL website showing my flight today TO STL and that the plane it is waiting on is 3410 from STL. It is crazy:

https://hopeworks.box.com/s/3gx8utml5x6x266nrxvo

So it wasn't about IRROPS, it wasn't a switch, this is how it was scheduled! An 8:08 arriving aircraft to be used for an 8:08 departing aircraft. This isn't a website thing, this is what happened.

Originally Posted by aacharya
You're using day of data to assume UA always builds in such tight turnaround times. That's not how it works. UA does sometimes assume one can turnaround a plane as fast as WN can, but it's nothing how the data implies it to be. The GA was talking about that aspect, not your particular set of circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.