Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Being that status accrual remains the same rules as today but award accrual is now based on spending and status, the people standing to lose the most are international travelers or possibly transcon flyers. As for me being based in Colorado and a 1K these changes work to my benefit. I generally pay fares upwards towards $1K due to last minute travel and do not fly transcon or international (based on reality not desire). Most of my flights will yield between 4,000 to 7,000 miles (status and bonus) per reservation. Multiply this by 30-35 and best case is that I accrue 250,000 reward miles annually. The new formula based on past spending habits will yield an estimated 330,000+ reward miles per my spending patterns. While I am not thrilled about any more changes to M+, this one does reward those who spend the most monies on UA. Is the fallout of those who will leave UA going to be significant? I bet the loss of revenue will be a decent bump in the road and noticeable to management.

Who knows where M+ turns next. The saga continues.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The W fare for IAD-SIN is about $1700, which is equivalent to less than half of 18 CPM. It will take perhaps 20 years to reach the 18 cpm mark.
not to mention the recent LAXSIN Q fare that I purchased on AA that was <1000 USD RT with MPM of >10k.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davewang202
Soon, average ticket prices will cross the 18 CPM mark, and we'll actually like the new scheme.
For some places, the average fare is well above this already on many routes. I know it's not really applicable to those in competitive markets like NYC, WAS, ORD, etc.

For example, I was in, and will be coming back to, CVG. Aside from flights to the west coast, it's hard to get anything below 18 CPM domestically.

One of my most frequent routes is YYZ. And it's really hard to find anything below 50 CPM most of the time. And I usually buy in advance. DAY and CMH sometimes offer a fare worth driving for, but often enough, the difference isn't worth it. BUF can offer savings on the other end sometimes, too, but I often don't have the time for it, not to mention I need to add a rental car, extra time for traffic, etc. Even NYC can be expensive - ~30 CPM.

For me, this change will actually partially offset some of the disadvantages of the higher fare structure I have to deal with. I've had some international travel the last couple of years which has brought my average CPM down to under the cutoff for me as a gold. But I'm expecting little to no overseas travel next year, which means I will likely have a few more miles in my account to use.

Last edited by emcampbe; Aug 27, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
not to mention the recent LAXSIN Q fare that I purchased on AA that was <1000 USD RT with MPM of >10k.
Aye. Remember it well lads, this be the good old days of flying. Soon, it will be nothing except memories.

One day, I'll be sitting next to the LED based fake fire, and this wee lad will say "Granpy, tell me again the story of this aeroplane company Unisteed? That used to pay you to fly?"

And I'll wipe away some moisture from my eye and say "Aye, United Air Lines itwas. A good and proud airline. RDM's, GPU's, SDC's and drink chits. Ah, but no more. Now what remains of it is part of the Ryan Spirit Alliance."

"Lad, did you know we used to have seats on aeroplanes? Proper seats! "

"Seats?!?! Wow! Tell me more Granpy"

"Aye, how I wish it was 2014 again...."

Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
will it mean that international travelers will book away from UA?
for exmaple. CX gives full miles on discount economy that i used to fly to asia?
is there any reason why i should fly CX over UA?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
will it mean that international travelers will book away from UA?
for exmaple. CX gives full miles on discount economy that i used to fly to asia?
is there any reason why i should fly CX over UA?
CX most definitely does not give full miles on their most discounted economy fares. If you book them as AA codeshares, they will, but those are usually priced much higher.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
The winners here are the ones bringing margin to UA, not just revenue. This will be refined further. Distance flown was a lousy business metric and airlines figured this out.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The winners here are the ones bringing margin to UA, not just revenue. This will be refined further. Distance flown was a lousy business metric and airlines figured this out.
And how long will it take them to figure out that revenue by itself, without accounting for cost of service, is a lousy business metric as well?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by davewang202
I think that for most people, the earning is worse, but let's look on the bright side - as airline consolidations continue, we'll earn more RDM's as the tickets get more expensive year after year. Soon, average ticket prices will cross the 18 CPM mark, and we'll actually like the new scheme.
This is why a dollar-based redemption system (i.e., X RDMs per dollar of flight price to redeem an award) is inevitable sooner or later.

An irony of this change is that RDMs will now be an appreciating currency. It will be cheaper to earn 25,000 RDM in 2017 than in 2016, in real terms, ergo each RDM will be more valuable in the future, assuming that RDM redemption rates stay the same, which is why they can't.

If they don't move to a dollar-based redemption system, I can imagine an amusing scenario whereby they index award-flight prices each year. It's 25,000 this year, 25,500 next year, etc. That seems impractical.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:01 am

Presidential Plus Waiver

All,

Hopefully I didn't miss the answer to this during my search of this thread but has United announced any waivers or allowances for Presidential Plus card holder as they relate to the 2015 changes?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Johnson21710
All,

Hopefully I didn't miss the answer to this during my search of this thread but has United announced any waivers or allowances for Presidential Plus card holder as they relate to the 2015 changes?
Considering that it's a card they no longer offer, I doubt it.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by mecabq
This is why a dollar-based redemption system (i.e., X RDMs per dollar of flight price to redeem an award) is inevitable sooner or later.

An irony of this change is that RDMs will now be an appreciating currency. It will be cheaper to earn 25,000 RDM in 2017 than in 2016, in real terms, ergo each RDM will be more valuable in the future, assuming that RDM redemption rates stay the same, which is why they can't.

If they don't move to a dollar-based redemption system, I can imagine an amusing scenario whereby they index award-flight prices each year. It's 25,000 this year, 25,500 next year, etc. That seems impractical.
It is so easy they are already doing it, by simply controlling saver availability on the supply side.The mean number of RDMs redeemed for travel can be controlled by UA as precisely as they care to.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: 1K
Wow! This would have made a substantial difference to my RDM earnings last year. $500-$900 UX MAF flights certainly add up...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hookthem
Wow! This would have made a substantial difference to my RDM earnings last year. $500-$900 UX MAF flights certainly add up...
Yeah, last time I checked they want $661 DEN--MAF (563 miles OW) at the times I would need to fly (on a CRJ-200 no less). That yields a 1K 2252 RDMs today per RT and will be 7271 RDMs after 3-1-2015. Quelle différence!

Might keep me from buying FC-all-the-way tickets on AA for $750-$800, but don't count on it until they get rid of the devil's chariot on that route.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Just want to hear it from the horse's mouth....

LX F segment bought on UA and ticket on 016 = $ x 11, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.