Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
timing of change?!!!

Is anyone else annoyed and angry that they are announcing almost six months in to the year something that will affect us next year! If they want to do this they should have the decency to provide a year of lead time. People have already chosen the programs they want to requalify with this year, and now we're stuck with this albatross for 2015.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sf26
The people that will switch to AA will be all the unprofitable mileage runners from Delta and United. All the profitable flyers who spend the most money will be happy with Delta and United.
Yes. That is why AA's PRASM and yield growth far away beats UA's .
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Is anyone else annoyed and angry that they are announcing almost six months in to the year something that will affect us next year! If they want to do this they should have the decency to provide a year of lead time. People have already chosen the programs they want to requalify with this year, and now we're stuck with this albatross for 2015.
Decency is to United as Oil is to Water.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Wonder what the positive impacts are

Originally Posted by @united
@bmvaughn: We hope you'll give the program a chance and see the positive impacts for 2015. ^RS
https://twitter.com/united/status/476365125742784512

LOL.. you're kidding, right? 6 months is wayyyy more lead time than this industry typically provides
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CMK10
That's incorrect. There will also be segment qualifiers switching, and people who pay mid-range fares and people who are tired of nothing but cuts and devaluations, plus people who live in the southeast where UA is now very weak without US.
Indeed. Most high-fare passengers are actually passengers who fly a combination of fare types and not all tickets purchased by such passengers are tickets bought using OPM.

As I've said for years, how an airline treats me on my leisure trips is a substantive factor I consider in how I determine my business trip carrier preferences. Devalue my leisure trip experiences and I reconsider how I fly on my business trips too.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Other People's Money.
Yeah, people need to get over this. I have to travel under strict controls in our corporate travel system, and I have little control over my own schedule, which makes it a lot less pleasurable than when I'm taking a vacation. I think this is probably break even on my work travel, not a gain. And most of us who use OPM for work use our own $ for vacations.

Bottom line, this is bad for just about everyone. I have a feeling that anyone thinking otherwise either a) has very short segments and a lot of the, such as 50x ORD-CVG, or b) hasn't really looked at their past flights and worked through the calculation. "11x" sounds big, but its 2x for 1K currently.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Ahhh yes. Jeff clearly took the WSJ article to heart and immediately implemented this change to finally rid his airline of the infestation that is ruing it! Of course that is the customer! He has done a helluva good job driving many away, now they will be leaving in droves. I am sure that this will amp up the motivation of his "co-workers" because everyone will be sooo pleased. Just wait until the Kettle finds out 6 months down the road that his MP is screwed. MP helped maintain UA through the dark times, but Jeff is tossing it on the dung heap along with the pillows and SB coffee. Can't wait to see the "improvements" in the award schedule!

UA/CO- now a poor imitator of DL. I am stuck with a few 100K miles that I have been unable to redeem for several months. I keep looking out MONTHS in advance and the redemption is so restrictive (no Fridays or Sundays) and mostly limited to major hubs.

*sad
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Kayakers.
This change has no effect on Kayakers, they dont care about miles by definition. It affects lower revenue leisure frequent flyers who had shown loyalty to United. They now have to spend $8500 on flights to earn a a flight to Hawaii. This change is bascially taking from the masses to give to the corporate flyers.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I actuall disagree. With a 3/15 start date they are providing 8 months lead time. That is a heck of an advance notice. Need to give them some kudos for that. It could have come in during October or November as well.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Different Perspective.. Does this benefit the MP member sitting on allot of MP Miles in their account. Say the ones whom have over 750K? If Miles will be more difficult to earn will this benefit some? Im looking for a Silver Lining.. Thanks and Save Travels

Wondering if with this change buying miles with a 40% discount (as of today´s mail from UA) will be a good deal?
The price is around 2,25 CPM...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Specialty tickets earn more?

Sounds like somebody really though this through. Time to start buying through consolidators:

Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and
United Express
J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
150%
Y, B, M
100%
E, U, H, Q,V,W
75%
S, T, L,K, G, N
50%
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:21 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Wonder what the positive impacts are

https://twitter.com/united/status/476365125742784512

LOL.. you're kidding, right? 6 months is wayyyy more lead time than this industry typically provides
At lease their PR team is consistent - https://twitter.com/united/status/476355898664046593
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JeredF
Why are they doing this?
Uh, because Smisek wants to keep his job?

The current earnings model is obviously a failure. Good for FFers but disaster for airline earnings. The DL earnings formula works, the UA formula doesn't. Expect more pinches to be coming through next year.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a copy of the email UA sent me:

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
Bottom line, this is bad for just about everyone. I have a feeling that anyone thinking otherwise either a) has very short segments and a lot of the, such as 50x ORD-CVG, or b) hasn't really looked at their past flights and worked through the calculation. "11x" sounds big, but its 2x for 1K currently.
Well it actually works out better for me. I fly CLE-LGA and then LGA-CLE every week. Right now I get 1750 miles being Platinum. With my fare this week (without taxes) I would get 4644 with my $516 fare. Pretty good for me. The only thing I worry about is more devaluation in the redemption area.

I understand for everyone else it pretty much sucks though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.