Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today were announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. Weve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDMs?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by richfish13
So as a Silver I would need to spend almost $3,600 next year to requalify, or spend over $7,000 to get Gold, to which neither level is worth even close to that spend for what you get. I'm sure an additional 'change I'll like' is the removal of complementary E+ for Silver as well next year. I've moved most of my flying over to AA, but being IAH based, SMI/J still has me by the balls on some fights.
? - this is for redeemable miles only, not premiere qualifying. PQD and PQM requirements stay unchanged.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Bummer - and its not even a Friday. I've already moved most of my flying to AA. Now that both DL and UA are doing this: any bets on how long it takes Parker and Company to follow suit?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by richfish13
I've moved most of my flying over to AA, but being IAH based, SMI/J still has me by the balls on some fights.
Driving to DFW is sounding better with each new "flyer friendly" change...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by a9504477
So, would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Excellent question, I would like to know the answer for this as well...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
So, would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
It applies to all UA flights (no matter what ticket stock). However, ticket stock matters in terms of qualifying status.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
How you earn award miles on flights will change on March 1, 2015

I'm not sure from the wording, but for me this hits me hard. I have two scenarios in mind which I'm not sure of:

1) switch my transpac flying to ANA and still receive full mileage to credit to UA

2) credit UA flights to another program (which I'm not sure of which one at this point)

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
Excellent question, I would like to know the answer for this as well...
But then you can't get elite status becuase of the PQD requirements.

Programs: Skywards Platinum
What is with the 75k mile cap?! So, as a 1K, if I buy a fare higher than $6,800 I am penalized?

"For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar."

Anybody have a clue what this means? If I am 1k and earn 11x miles per dollar, how is class-of-service accounted for? Or, I am guessing that is yet to be published, but it sounds like there will be additional miles if you fly a premium cabin.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
But then you can't get elite status becuase of the PQD requirements.
Unless there is a change for international members on PQD I am not affected by this
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whimike
What is with the 75k mile cap?! So, as a 1K, if I buy a fare higher than $6,800 I am penalized?
Apparently so.

Exactly same as Delta again fpr MDQ.

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oblisk
PQD didn't really affect me, but this will.

As a 1k who flies 95% for personal travel, being 100-110k miles a year on a 10-12k spend this will turn me into a kayaker. This is effectively a 40-50% devaluation of earned mileage, compounded with the devaluation of the mileage chart it is not helpful to retaining my business.

I'm just glad I'm finding out in June so i can direct the remaining 2014 travel elsewhere; it'll be nice to say good bye to EWR.
I'm in complete agreement. I fly mostly leisure, so I feel that I have no incentive for loyalty to any airline, anymore. So long United, it was great until Jeff ruined it for us!

And this from whimike: "What is with the 75k mile cap?! So, as a 1K, if I buy a fare higher than $6,800 I am penalized? "
That bites big time!

Last edited by ok2uselane; Jun 10, 2014 at 6:26 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

"For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar."

Anybody have a clue what this means? If I am 1k and earn 11x miles per dollar, how is class-of-service accounted for? Or, I am guessing that is yet to be published, but it sounds like there will be additional miles if you fly a premium cabin.
Another straight copy of what DL did...

The solution talked about in that thread was to buy one-ways if not price-penalized
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The cap is there because DL did it and for the same reasons DL did it.

Welcome to the oligopolistic market run by lemmings for lemmings.

Copy meet cat.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:23 am
Suspended

Why bother earning status or miles on UA. The way forward is to fly the airline that gives you the best bang for the buck. Today that can be UA, tomorrow it can be DL. And next week AA perhaps. Or any combination thereof.

Loyalty My A$$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.