Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I wish that the management would reconsider.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The $misek playbook - copy the bad, ignore the good

Seriously, can they please clean house at the top already
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Will you be answering questions raised in this thread as they come up?

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Leisure flyer?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Although people buying first class fares likely don't focus too much on the miles earned, but this seems like yet another slap in the face to people who pay for first to Asia/Australia and sometimes to Europe. Another disincentive to flying first on United.
Paid international F on UA is already nearly a dead duck this should help speed up the process....
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Why would one consider to choose UA over DL, other than being hub captive? I can't find a strong reason...

Originally Posted by rosesplus
Paid international F on UA is already nearly a dead duck this should help speed up the process....
This is just Smisek's way of justifying on taking Business-First out and going full Spirit mode
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:
  • Member: 5 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier Silver: 7 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier Gold: 8 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier Platinum: 9 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier 1K and Global Services: 11 award miles per US dollar spent
The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.

-UA Insider
We know you are only the messenger but posting this can't feel good.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Even with copying the DL playbook their financial performance still lags. What are the odds SMI/J is around once this is implemented?

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Amusing in a way.. what United and other airlines need to cut down on are manufactured credit card spenders, not FLYERS.

Glad that last year was my final year flying regularly on United. Alaska is much more enjoyable!

Gotta give credit to UA for announcing this in June so folks can move their allegiance to another airline and still have a chance at qualifying for status!

Last edited by bmvaughn; Jun 10, 2014 at 6:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by rosesplus
If you buy two one-ways you reset the limit on the 75K miles. So you could earn 150K, yeah I know who does that?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Leisure flyer?

I'm too young to be anything else My parents and I had started buying more expensive tickets to meet the PQD requirements, but now it's almost useless.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not gonna happen with the current group, who have apparently decided that the root of their problem is that they haven't enhanced enough.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
An amazing opportunity for AA to take all the orphaned non-OPM elites.

Hopefully they won't miss it.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tom911
Leisure flyer?
Kayakers.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Originally Posted by kluau88
Even with copying the DL playbook their financial performance still lags. What are the odds SMI/J is around once this is implemented?
Ah, but the only part of the DL playbook UA copies is the negative changes. They don't copy any of the service improvements, those things that help DL retain it's customers while implementing these sorts of changes.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is why UA is at rock bottom compared to their domestic counterparts. Innovation is at an all time low at UA

At least DL actually tries to improve things while bolstering profitability. Seems to work quite well, not so much for UA as they are only focused on the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.