Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GS8101
I had to make changes during a recent TPAC trip. Now the RDM have been posted and the total are more than 75K RDM. I've always thought the 75K cap is arbitrary and simply a copy of DL's.
shhhhhh, let the dogs sleep. In contrast to the gazillion IT issues that steal money from customers ... this one WILL get fixed if we continue to post about it.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Do people really find these systems 'too complicated to understand' or is this just hyperbole to express distaste?
Before the recent changes a great many people had a hard enough time understanding that PQM/EQM were simply counters and not spendable miles.

I'd venture to say that MST MileagePlus members who have looked at the new rules still don't have any idea how things work. Just look at the absolute basics. On what planet does it make sense that some miles are earned based on how much you spend while other miles are earned based on the distance you fly -- and both types are earned on the same ticket?!
Old May 29, 2015, 9:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
This has probably been asked, but if I'm flying LH/OU/OS on fares that accrue 0% on any program, is it to my advantage to ticket to 016 (no price difference)? That is, on 0%-PQM-earning fares, do you still earn RDMs when you have a 016 ticket?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pewpew
This has probably been asked, but if I'm flying LH/OU/OS on fares that accrue 0% on any program, is it to my advantage to ticket to 016 (no price difference)? That is, on 0%-PQM-earning fares, do you still earn RDMs when you have a 016 ticket?
No it doesn't help. If it's non-earning based on operating carrier fare class, ticketing on 016 stock won't change that.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Kacee
No it doesn't help. If it's non-earning based on operating carrier fare class, ticketing on 016 stock won't change that.
So... RDMs are calculated by spend, except when they're not?

Thanks for resolving my dilemma; I'll 202 it.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pewpew
So... RDMs are calculated by spend, except when they're not?
Exactly.

It's in the (extremely) fine print . . . "Certain fare classes are ineligible for accrual."
Old May 29, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Earning RDM is a prerequisite for earning PQD.

Originally Posted by LBJ
A roundtrip $1200 ticket to LHR should have about $240 in government taxes/fees, so you should be seeing around $960 in Premier Qualifying Dollars total for a roundtrip. Something not quite adding up here.
Adds up, he got $466 one way on his only post-3/1 flight.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
shhhhhh, let the dogs sleep. In contrast to the gazillion IT issues that steal money from customers ... this one WILL get fixed if we continue to post about it.
It'll get corrected. I've already had one of mine get retroactively adjusted/capped.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish
It'll get corrected. I've already had one of mine get retroactively adjusted/capped.
Yeah, well let's get the FTC and the lawyers involved.

http://mileageplusupdates.com/#faq

Use the "calculator" they have here. Type in $9,000 spend and that you are a 1k.

Shows me I get 99,000 miles awarded. I would suggest that everyone that exceeds the 75k mile just print screen the calculator screen shot!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Premier Gold, *G
This complaint has come up many times, and I had known that this would likely negatively affect my reward mileage earnings, but I didn't realize how bad it would be until I just did one trans-Atlantic, one trans-Pac, and one domestic in the last three weeks. Under the "miles travelled system" as a Gold, that would have been ~41,000 miles. Under the spend system, it was ~26,000. It is particularly galling that upgrade copays are not included in the spending (I work for a university that will not, under any circumstances, pay for business class travel, but I pay out of pocket to upgrade sometimes). Say what you want about low fare classes, but this was well over $4k worth of travel, when all the taxes and fees are included.

Not a change I particularly like, Jeff.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
They want to reward flyers for purchasing expensive tickets, at the expense of flyers who purchase cheap tickets. I recently earned 58,000 miles on a single TATL RT in paid F. The same trip in paid F last spring, I earned 12,000. You can probably imagine how I feel about the new system.

This is not meant as a criticism of how you fly; just that it isn't an accident that flyers like you don't like this change, and UA made the change with full knowledge that flyers like you aren't gonna like it.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Still doesn't support domestic RTs with open jaws:

This itinerary includes one or more flights that are ineligible to earn mileage or Premier qualifying credit.

Yea, the - --- --- --- --- dummy segment between my open jaw points.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
They want to reward flyers for purchasing expensive tickets, at the expense of flyers who purchase cheap tickets. I recently earned 58,000 miles on a single TATL RT in paid F. The same trip in paid F last spring, I earned 12,000. You can probably imagine how I feel about the new system.

This is not meant as a criticism of how you fly; just that it isn't an accident that flyers like you don't like this change, and UA made the change with full knowledge that flyers like you aren't gonna like it.
I'll be getting 60k on a TPAC in F on AA next month - and no one else got screwed in the process. @:-)
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
The RDM earnings change is the single biggest factor in shifting my business away from United. Without a viable frequent flier program, there is no need to suffer through the purchase of revenue tickets on United.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'll be getting 60k on a TPAC in F on AA next month - and no one else got screwed in the process. @:-)
Well done. Post back in one year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.