Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLE..We Hardly Knew You...Bye

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

CLE..We Hardly Knew You...Bye

Today marks a sad day in CLE. UA de-hubs today and many dedicated UA employees, well this is their last day. Just watched a news story on WKYC-TV3.

Godspeed CLE
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by happymom2008
Today marks a sad day in CLE. UA de-hubs today and many dedicated UA employees, well this is their last day. Just watched a news story on WKYC-TV3.

Godspeed CLE
Yes, very sad. I've seen it with other hub cities as well like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Memphis etc.

If I were Denver or LAX I would start to worry as well.

US/AA will do the same. PHX could be kind of redundant. So could PHL.

Last edited by FlyerTom111; Jun 5, 2014 at 7:27 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:01 am

Paying over a million dollars a month through 2027 on that terminal they won't be using. Wow.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...l#incart_river
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111

I don't think there is any need for Denver to worry. There are no other United hubs in the area that competes with Denver. Plus, they've even been adding flights to DEN since the merger such as DEN-NRT.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:18 am

I agree, Denver seems safe. As you say, there are no competing hubs there and it allows the use of more RJ's on flights from Chicago and other midwest cities, which seem to be the preferred aircraft of UAL these days.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sad day indeed for my adopted home town. On a positive note, without a lot of nonstop options, Clevelanders won't be shackled to UA and can branch out and experience better options and airlines that actually believe in customer service.

Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Paying over a million dollars a month through 2027 on that terminal they won't be using. Wow.
Wow, $180 million in lease payments thru 2027.
That is unless they file for BK, again.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum

CO made the deal, the new UA doesn't need it, and apparently regards it as a sunk cost. Makes sense to me. Agree that is a lot of money, though.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

People here are saying to turn the terminal into a homeless shelter...seriously!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
What a shame. Was born in Cleveland and the moved to the Tampa Bay area as a child. I remember United running a DC-10 with "Sunbird/Snowbird" service in the late '70s and early '80s between the two. Menus and free champagne (okay, sparkling wine) in coach. What a shame it's gone.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA1K
i flew through CLE a few times in the last few years. easily the easiest hub to connect through. i never had delays and always enjoyed going to great lakes brewing.

here is hoping i can force a connection through CLE again. i prefer it over ORD.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haddon90
i flew through CLE a few times in the last few years. easily the easiest hub to connect through. i never had delays and always enjoyed going to great lakes brewing.
Had the pleasure one time as well and it was super-easy. I doubt I will pass by CLE anytime soon.

Not too worried about LAX, as it is a strong local market besides connections.
Adding new routes like MEL point in the same direction. Still believe a FRA flight would make sense as well - given LHs 21 weekly flights and two daily 744s (one in winter time) flying SFO-FRA.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Clevelanders won't be shackled to UA and can branch out and experience better options and airlines that actually believe in customer service.
This.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by haddon90
Can't say we didn't see this coming. I do wonder how long folks like Great Lakes Brewing are locked into their leases. Some vendors even in C may be seeing reduced traffic. GLB in particular was at a crossroads in the terminal and fewer UA pax means fewer dining customers.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
Yes, very sad. I've seen it with other hub cities as well like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Memphis etc.

US/AA will do the same. PHX could be kind of redundant. So could PHL.
UA is already giving up gates at LAX, but the new AA quickly snapped them up. I don't think LAX has anything to worry about. DEN has nothing to worry about because there isn't an alternate hub for UA.

As for PHX and PHL, time will tell. PHX will likely survive because LAX simply can't handle all the connecting traffic routed over PHX and PHX has wonderful weather for flight operations (rarely disrupted by poor weather). PHL is a major transatlantic and east coast hub for the new AA -- they can't move all the operations to JFK (slot controlled) and CLT is too far south.

CLE was the weakest link for UA...g'bye!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat

at the expense of the hard and soft product across Us and Intl.probably...gotta find the $ somewhere! if I made a decision like that, my boss wouldn't let the door hit me in the behind as he kicked me down the stairs...and I would spend years trying to get his shoe out of my backend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.