Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 2Q 2014 Results/Discussion/News → Results Announced July 24th, 2014 ←

Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkr
UAL

earnings released: Thursday, July 24,2014 9:30 am CST/10:30 EST

If you missed the live webcast of the 2nd Q earnings conference call, it is now available for replay for a limited time and will later be archived.
A transcript is now available also.
Click this link for access to replay and transcript of call:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23227909-post151.html

Current 2Q 2014 UAL guidance (4/24/14 investor update):

PRASM +1-3%
ASM "quarter, flat to +1%, full year +.5 to 1.5%"
CASM ex fuel, "quarter +1.25 to 2.25%, full year +1-2%"
Analyst guidance/actual 2Q 2013 results:

6/5/14 estimates:
1.86/share (using the 367M shares from last release $682M profit ex special items) [2q 2013 actual was $521M; $1.35/share ex specials; $469M GAAP]
Revenue 10.33B (3.3% growth) [2q 2013 was $10B]

Actual results:
- $789m GAAP Net income, $2.34/share. 7.6% margin
- $919m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.9% margin
- $906m Operating Income (8.8% margin)
- $1.08B Operating Income excluding specials (10.4% margin)

- PRASM up 3.7%, yield up 3.0%; domestic yield +6.8%
- ASM -0.1%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items down 0.2%
- Operating Revenue: $10.33B (up 3.3%); Passenger Revenue $8.98B( up3.6%)
- $1.5B in operating cash flow

Links to UA Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:

DAL
earnings released: Wednesday July 23 at 10 edt. Call link: https://event.on24.com/eventRegistra...epage=register

Actual results:

- $801m GAAP Net income, $0.94/diluted share. 7.5% margin
- $889m Net Income (excluding specials) or $1.04 per share. 8.4% margin
Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $1.4 billion.
- $1.58B Operating Income (14.9% margin)
- $1.61B Operating Income excluding specials (15.1% margin)

- PRASM up 5.7%, yield up 3.8%; domestic yield +7.4%
- ASM +3.2%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was FLAT
- Operating Revenue: $10.62B (up 9%); Passenger Revenue $9.27B ( up9%)
- Over $2.0B in operating cash flow and $1.5B in free cash, net debt $7.9B

3Q projections
: Operating margin +15 to +17%, CASM +0 to 2%, "unit revenues" (I take to be PRASM - spin) +2-4% "driven by continued corporate and domestic strength, along with benefits from our revenue initiatives."

Links to DL Press Releases / News Articles / etc.:
http://news.delta.com/2014-07-23-Del...Quarter-Profit

AAL - earnings call: July 24, 2014 at 12:30 cdt
link to call: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....estorrelations

Estimates/AAL guidance:

2Q PRASM +5-7% (updated estimate from 6/9/14 traffic release). YTD ASM +2.5%.

Actual results:

- $864m GAAP Net income
- $1.5B Net Income (excluding specials)
- $11.4B Revenue (+10.2%)

- Yeld +6.5% (17.34)
- PRASM up 5.9%, (14.57)
- ASM +3.1%
- CASM +3.9% (13.61)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)

Continued from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-news-etc.html.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 21, 2014 at 7:26 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Delta May 2014

This is a WOW!

Love the last sentence in the article. "With traffic rising faster than capacity, the average flight was more full — 86.5 percent, up from 84.8 percent a year earlier."

Delta Air Lines reports 7 percent increase in key revenue figure as passenger traffic rises

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...164803264.html
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
This is a WOW!

Love the last sentence in the article. "With traffic rising faster than capacity, the average flight was more full — 86.5 percent, up from 84.8 percent a year earlier."

Delta Air Lines reports 7 percent increase in key revenue figure as passenger traffic rises

My flight from ORD to BRU this week is like the Marie Celeste. tons of space. Even my flight from LHR to SFO peak week Aug is wide open. I've not seen space as seen this year in a while. Perhaps UA can't shrink capacity fast enough to keep up with falling demand.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
This is a WOW!

It will be interesting to see if United updates it current guidence (they don't give monthly PRASM numbers at this point). UAL's current PRASM guidance for 2Q is +1-3%. Delta hit 6% in April, and now 7% in May. Both with substantial traffic and capacity increases (which makes the numbers even more impressive) while UAL's has been nearly flat in capacity.

If UAL hits the midpoint of its guidence if will be badly under-performing Delta once again.

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
My flight from ORD to BRU this week is like the Marie Celeste. tons of space. Even my flight from LHR to SFO peak week Aug is wide open. I've not seen space as seen this year in a while. Perhaps UA can't shrink capacity fast enough to keep up with falling demand.
I wonder how much of this is the "don't sell seats cheap, wait to sell them for more later" RM plan. The impact it has had on me is UAL loosing a lot of traffic to OALs, flights I then see empty seats on later...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by spin88
I wonder how much of this is the "don't sell seats cheap, wait to sell them for more later" RM plan. The impact it has had on me is UAL loosing a lot of traffic to OALs, flights I then see empty seats on later...
Everything I've been on lately has been empty. Just went to/from Brazil, wide open in both cabins both directions. They 5500 odd departures every day, so my flying will hardly be a sample, but I am hearing a lot of internal dialog about empty flights
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:37 am

The latest plan (instead of actually improving the product) is to adjust the schedule banks to create shorter connections in DEN & IAH. They believe that less high revenue flyers are flying them due to the longer connection times at those airports, so they are adjusting the banks to create better connecting times.

All I see is the potential increased outflow of pissed off misconnecting passengers
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
The latest plan (instead of actually improving the product) is to adjust the schedule banks to create shorter connections in DEN & IAH. They believe that less high revenue flyers are flying them due to the longer connection times at those airports, so they are adjusting the banks to create better connecting times.

All I see is the potential increased outflow of pissed off misconnecting passengers
You've got to be kidding me. The only way I was willing to connect on UA last year was by scheduling long connection times.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I agree with this. Especially, since weather hits UA the hardest (according to UA in their latest press statements). I guess will find out on Thurs (I think that is when they will release the latest data).

United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL)
-NYSE
47.51 Up 0.81(1.73%) Jun 3, 4:00PM EDT
UAL stock sure went up today (Tues). Perhaps they know something?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by gengar
You've got to be kidding me. The only way I was willing to connect on UA last year was by scheduling long connection times.
I wish I were kidding. Sadly, I book the same as you, I will not book anything less than 2hrs of a connection on United.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
UA would fly an RJ for SFO-LHR if the plane would make it.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:07 am

I am surprised at the increase in capacity at DL.

Where are this many new ASM's coming from? New aircraft? ATA / WN?

Looks like they have been able to react quickly to increased demand.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:16 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by kettle1
UAL stock sure went up today (Tues). Perhaps they know something?
Simple, IATA said they were bullish on the North American airline market earlier this week.

The stock market is pathetic right now, everything is all sensational and reactionary. Everybody who is not in the investing business are much better off just putting money in several low fee ETFs [SP500, emerging markets, small/mid cap, international, etc] and just let the institutional investors take care of it for us.

Earlier this year, I wanted to short TWTR about a month after their IPO and was told [by Optionshouse] I had to wait 60 days after the IPO date before I can establish short positions
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:18 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I am surprised at the increase in capacity at DL.

Where are this many new ASM's coming from? New aircraft? ATA / WN?

Looks like they have been able to react quickly to increased demand.
They are replacing many CRJs with 717s. A lot of CR2 routes are being upgauged to CR7/9 and the CR7/9 routes are being upgauged to MD80/Airbus/717.

They are also getting a lot of new planes [739s now then A321s in 2016]. Delta is expanding fast domestically, but relatively flat internationally [UA is doing the opposite].

If you look at DL's hub departures by equipment type, almost 78% of ATL departures are mainline, none of UA's hubs come even close to that figure and for comparable hubs, DL has considerably more mainline departures except for LAX.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jun 4, 2014 at 7:24 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
They believe that less high revenue flyers are flying them due to the longer connection times at those airports, so they are adjusting the banks to create better connecting times.
That's insane. If anything, it's the reverse. People who know what's going on with United will book away from shorter connection times, especially with UX involved, because of the long odds of on-time performance, especially in the back half of the day.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They are also getting a lot of new planes [739s now then A321s in 2016]. Delta is expanding fast domestically, but relatively flat internationally [UA is doing the opposite].
I'm a little confused... what is UA doing internationally on the expanding fast front? They've got a few new planes this year they're deploying on some very specialized routes, but they retired their 10 762s, and they are starting to retire 763's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.