Wiki Posts
Search

"Open" Return?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
"Open" Return?

I can't find the answer to this readily in a post merger thread.

it used to be common to book round trips with "open" return dates. I haven't had a need to do this before, but with a son returning home from college with a known coming home date but only a "sometime at the end of the summer" return date, how best to book? 2 one ways? (this would be far less than a unrestricted full fare RT). Is there still a way to do an open date return?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
This is a good question. It's been awhile I've heard this. In my younger years, when I would spend my summers in Europe with my grandparents, I would have a ticket with an open return. They wouldn't be expensive full-fare tickets either, simple coach fares. I'm sure these still exist - those in the travel business on here would know better.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
AFAIK, UA doesn't issue open-ended published fare tickets anymore. You could get close by buying a ticket without a change fee and immediately after ticketing, cancel the return segment and just leave the return portion of the ticket hanging out there without a confirmed segment.

I still think you can get true "open return" international tickets through consolidators, where they book a confirmed outbound leg and leave the return open and wait for you to call to book the actual date.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Most domestic fares are now one-ways. Booking r/ts just strings together two one-way fares anyway. I book most of my travel as one-ways.

What are the cities?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
SEA-HNL

The absence of replies is likely telling...I'll bet this is now a historical relic.

Bought him a OW home, so thats that for now. If I find an answer that helps, I'll use it for his return / back home.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Most domestic fares are now one-ways. Booking r/ts just strings together two one-way fares anyway. I book most of my travel as one-ways.

What are the cities?
This is the answer, at least for domestic fares. Open return is unnecessary. You can always pay the change fee for international, still cheaper than two one ways. But if this still exists for international flights, I'd also be very interested in learning how it works.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
...But if this still exists for international flights, I'd also be very interested in learning how it works.
Open return still exists for international fares, although mostly just for YY type of full fare. Some airlines require you to book a future date but allow free changes while some allows straight OPEN return date.

Hardly anyone ever purchase them as they are the highest fares you can buy for the cabin. You need to contact a full service travel agency to book. It doesn't really make sense for anyone to purchase them unless someone else is paying.

Last edited by TerryK; Jun 2, 2014 at 9:53 pm
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I've been a 1K since the late 90's and quite tuned in to this sort of thing and the only time I ever heard of open ended tickets was in the movies or on TV. With an unrestricted ticket you can change the return without a change fee but "open ended" tickets are a thing of the way way way back and no longer exist...at least on US carriers.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:50 pm

International college student

My European based son is studying in the US and needs to fly from Europe and return to Europe at Christmas time. If I follow the discussion correctly then the date of starting school is know so the first ticket should be the cheapest ticket option (can't find again the wiki that had the fare class of tickets) and the second return should be a changeable one. Is that correct? Can anyone help with the fare classes I want please.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
Can anyone help with the fare classes I want please.
It's not something you can pull up on ua.com, especially if the POS is in the US.

"Open tickets" are extremely common from foreign destinations, which are essentially ticketed by travel agents. I've never heard of it working (outside a normal refundable/changeable high fare class) within the US.

One option is to book with miles as one-ways, and if you're Plat or above, changing is not an issue. Of course, as it's Xmas time on the return, it may be tougher then to find Saver inventory.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:31 pm

Open returns went the way to "United Rising" and Starbucks coffee on United. Its been gone since the early 2000s
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Open returns went the way to "United Rising" and Starbucks coffee on United. Its been gone since the early 2000s
And thanks to low cost airlines, domestic fares are now priced on a one-way basis so the OP should just buy a one-way ticket now and wait to buy another one-way ticket for the return when he knows the dates with certainty.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....If I follow the discussion correctly then the date of starting school is know so the first ticket should be the cheapest ticket option (can't find again the wiki that had the fare class of tickets) and the second return should be a changeable one. Is that correct? ....
Unfortunately on a UA issued RT, the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire itin.

Make a best guess on the return date and if needed pay the change fee. The higher cost of a changeable would have exceed the change fee in most cases.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
And thanks to low cost airlines, domestic fares are now priced on a one-way basis so the OP should just buy a one-way ticket now and wait to buy another one-way ticket for the return when he knows the dates with certainty.
Whilst this is true in most cases, there's still several examples where it's not.

eg, many SFO-EWR fares, especially close in, are not available for one-ways.

That said, booking two one-ways is still probably the best option, especially as long as you're not booking last minute.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
My European based son is studying in the US and needs to fly from Europe and return to Europe at Christmas time.
Originally Posted by fly747first
Originally Posted by docbert
That said, booking two one-ways is still probably the best option, especially as long as you're not booking last minute.
Considering that the OP is talking about a Europe-US-Europe itinerary, buying international travel as two one-ways is much more expensive. An international one-way ticket to Europe is most of the time twice the price of a round trip ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.