Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Open" Return?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
My European based son is studying in the US and needs to fly from Europe and return to Europe at Christmas time. If I follow the discussion correctly then the date of starting school is know so the first ticket should be the cheapest ticket option (can't find again the wiki that had the fare class of tickets) and the second return should be a changeable one. Is that correct? Can anyone help with the fare classes I want please.
Is your son a college student? Most colleges publish a calendar with when school starts/ends, for several years ahead, so you should know specific dates when school ends, not only when the school starts.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 am

Thank you everyone for the tips and ideas.

Originally Posted by gusd
Is your son a college student? Most colleges publish a calendar with when school starts/ends, for several years ahead, so you should know specific dates when school ends, not only when the school starts.

Yes, the exam schedule is published showing classes end on Dec 19. That is known. Also known are which classes have which exam time, also a known. Unknown is what classes he will get as he has a scheduling problem that the adviser won't deal with until the first week of school. Problem is that with an international flight ... our flight time is 6 pm at an airport 2 hours from campus, plus 2 hours for international check in and no car but relying on shuttle service that is not at our times meaning he has to leave campus at noon with 2 exams still on the schedule. Following that it makes sense that we could just pick the day after the last day of exams and go with that, but with this would be a day after the dorms close for semester break. Second factor is that I need to book the ticket with the return trip to get him to school to figure out when he can come home. That the problem I am working with.

After reading I looked at one way tickets... the RT is aprox $2200 right now for my best guess of days. A one way is $3500. Guess we will book the last possible date and beg the mercy of the professor if it comes to it.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gusd
Considering that the OP is talking about a Europe-US-Europe itinerary, buying international travel as two one-ways is much more expensive. An international one-way ticket to Europe is most of the time twice the price of a round trip ticket.
I don't think anyone is talking about buying a one-way to/from Europe, which is the airfare equivalent of paying $10 for a single pack of tic-tacs when there's a 2 for $1 deal at the same store.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just hedge your bets and book a hotel room for another night after the dorms close.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How can the dorms close if there are still final exams that afternoon?

Note also that many USA hotels will not allow under21s to check in, even if they have credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.