Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We cant accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We cant accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. Well accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if theres space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices dont apply, and well gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Per my reading, they are stricter on the weight than the size. What's the chance for me to use a 65-inch legacy bag for a oneway international flight with UA? TIA
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by spacehawk
Per my reading, they are stricter on the weight than the size. What's the chance for me to use a 65-inch legacy bag for a oneway international flight with UA? TIA
Depends on if you have status and where you depart from. I agree that they're stricter on weight because they see the scale when you put the bag on.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Depends on if you have status and where you depart from.
And most importantly, your attitude and what kind of day the checkin agent is having (though that's not United-specific).
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
If I check in UAX, they tend to be more strict than a UA agent. Fortunately at my home UAX station they are starting to recognize me as a 1K and are very gracious.

Agree with all that is stated above. If the bag is oversize and heavy, red flags may go off
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... What's the chance for me to use a 65-inch legacy bag for a oneway international flight with UA? ...
The agents will eyeball the bag dimensions and if obviously oversized or overweight {by the scale} it could get hit. If your bag is truly 65 inches including wheels, handles, .... and is not all the excess in one-dimension, you are likely to be OK.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:28 pm

I have check quite a few bags in the 65-70 linear inches range (they were standard size bags that you can extend out). I never seen them measure the size. They are pretty strict about the weight though.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Skycaps work for tips and are likely your friend in these cases.

Nothing like a tipped employee to put them at odds with a company's policies.
TechMarauder likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by channa

Shares and Jeff aren't somehow to blame for the policy?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

That's a bright idea.

Originally Posted by channa

Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:47 pm

That's a bright idea.
I didn't think you could curbside check bags for INT travel
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: aa, ua 1k
My bag is 4" too large (66") and for six years through GM to 1K last four years never a question. Noted others with larger bags at all counters having no problems. A pound over 70 lbs has shifted a pair of jeans to my carry on.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Oversize Bags on UA

I'm curious what experiences any of you have had with oversized luggage. Charged? Not Charged? Heated disputes?
I'm flying SMF-HNL next month and would like to bring my camera slider. In its case it measures 64 linear inches, and UA's limit is 62". It weighs only about 10-15 pounds. I can ship it USPS for $150 round trip. Or, I can risk checking it, and chance being charged $200 each way.
What would you do in this situation?
Thanks for your input!

For reference, this is what the bag looks like: http://lghttp.32171.nexcesscdn.net/8...case-4ft_1.jpg

Last edited by joecool1885; Sep 17, 2014 at 5:21 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I wouldn't risk it and would use UPS.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:28 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
In July I traveled to Guatemala and checked a cardboard box measuring 8" x 8" x 48, weighing about 15 lb along with other large bags without any problems.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer is that you can get 1,000 responses, but you cannot be sure. Your risk is $50 each direction ($150 vs. $200). Can you buy one for less?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.