Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MUA Co-Pay Amounts on p.s. Routes (Premier members exempt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 8:12 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

As you are all aware, we recently finished a complete reconfiguration of our dedicated p.s. “Premium Service” fleet that operates between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Improvements include flat-bed seats in BusinessFirst, complimentary seatback on-demand entertainment and improved Wi-Fi connectivity in all cabins.

Now that we have finished these customer-facing improvements, we are bringing our upgrade policies more in line with those on routes offering a similar product. Effective today, we are increasing the co-pay amounts required for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards (MUA) on certain economy fare classes (H and below) on p.s. flights between JFK and LAX/SFO. You can find a PDF chart with the new co-pay amounts here. A couple other items to note:
  • The new co-pay amounts are effective immediately for all MUA requests made on or after today, May 22.
  • MUA requests made prior to May 22 will be honored at the then-current rate, however voluntary changes to an itinerary may result in new mileage and/or co-pay amounts.
  • The number of award miles required for MUA co-pays on p.s. routes remains the same.
  • Premier members continue to be exempt from MUA co-pays on p.s. routes, and all other routes within the mainland U.S. and between the mainland U.S. and Alaska and Canada.
If you have any questions about the above, please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer them.

-UA Insider
Old May 22, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As you are all aware, we recently finished a complete reconfiguration of our dedicated p.s. “Premium Service” fleet that operates between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Improvements include flat-bed seats in BusinessFirst, complimentary seatback on-demand entertainment and improved Wi-Fi connectivity in all cabins.

Now that we have finished these customer-facing improvements, we are bringing our upgrade policies more in line with those on routes offering a similar product. Effective today, we are increasing the co-pay amounts required for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards (MUA) on certain economy fare classes (H and below) on p.s. flights between JFK and LAX/SFO. You can find a PDF chart with the new co-pay amounts here. A couple other items to note:
  • The new co-pay amounts are effective immediately for all MUA requests made on or after today, May 22.
  • MUA requests made prior to May 22 will be honored at the then-current rate, however voluntary changes to an itinerary may result in new mileage and/or co-pay amounts.
  • The number of award miles required for MUA co-pays on p.s. routes remains the same.
  • Premier members continue to be exempt from MUA co-pays on p.s. routes, and all other routes within the mainland U.S. and between the mainland U.S. and Alaska and Canada.
If you have any questions about the above, please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer them.

-UA Insider
Interesting... Doesn't affect many people here I would think.

Thanks for the update though.

H/Q = $125
V = $175
W = $225
S/T/K/L/G/N = $250

Last edited by edcho; May 22, 2014 at 8:23 am Reason: Updated w/ Co-Pay Amts
Old May 22, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the heads-up! We appreciate you keeping us in the loop.

If customers have a p.s. flight downgraded from the 28-J-seat 757 to the 24-domestic-F-seat 757, which happens occasionally for operational reasons, do they get a refund of the upgrade copay?
Old May 22, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Given the seat and other amenities in ps BusinessFirst, I actually think this is fair.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Could have been worse...

(The UG policies on the premium TCON routes are actually a strength for UA vis-a-vis DL/AA IMO)
Old May 22, 2014, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Could have been worse...

(The UG policies on the premium TCON routes are actually a strength for UA vis-a-vis DL/AA IMO)
From friends who have flown on UAs and AAs and DLs UA is in 4th place.4th yea since B6s looks like they too will be a better deal
Old May 22, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz
From friends who have flown on UAs and AAs and DLs UA is in 4th place.4th yea since B6s looks like they too will be a better deal
I said upgrade policy, not product

(DL elites can't use their regional upgrades on these routes; on AA, if you use miles even elites have a co-pay, and I can't imagine comp. EXP upgrades are that plentiful these days on the A321s)
Old May 22, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Given the seat and other amenities in ps BusinessFirst, I actually think this is fair.
Agree. However, it would have been nice to get notice sooner than the day it actually takes effect.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Fair enough, though notifying the day of seems like a DL policy. One think UA has been good about is notifying changes to the program months in advance. This doesn't seem right
Old May 22, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

(DL elites can't use their regional upgrades on these routes; on AA, if you use miles even elites have a co-pay, and I can't imagine comp. EXP upgrades are that plentiful these days on the A321s)
Should have said they purchase the tkts and not flying on UPs. They will buy UA only out of last resort. part of UAs problem is they come up with a new idea but by the tim ethey implement it its outdated comparted to what others have put into play. Yet when UA did it they were the best thusly they think no matter what it will remain that way

So for a short period of time UA did have the best product but that fell by the wayside real fast. Probably in 10 yrs from now theyw ill once again have the best product for a few months on these routes

Forgot about Virgin, UA will be #5
Old May 22, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Agreed. DL's system is particularly chaotic, apparently it's quite difficult either to confirm in advance or get on the gate list.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

Totally agree with your points and I can't fault UA for the logic on this one.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Fair enough, though notifying the day of seems like a DL policy. One think UA has been good about is notifying changes to the program months in advance. This doesn't seem right
Didn't UA do something like that last November? I remember there was some type of change that particularly impacted upgrades on other airlines (within Asia flights comes to mind) & they did the announcement the day it went into effect/no advance notice?

I agree that UA's been getting better about advance announcements (usually to the program or baggage or boarding procedures) but a few times they've done same day announcements.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree. However, it would have been nice to get notice sooner than the day it actually takes effect.

Cheers.
Agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.