Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
End of August, this route switches to:

SFO-MSP 1 daily mainline, 2 RJ
MSP-SFO 3 daily RJ

Odd that they keep mainline on the eastbound only.

Discount F is pricing at only $200 more RT than the cheapest Y. DL, meanwhile, is charging $500 premium for F.

Just based on schedule I have a very difficult time choosing UA over DL on this route, and that's despite my desperate need for PQD this year.

Side note: DL and UA showing about equal award availability and pricing . . . not a terrible Y redemption at between 1.7 and 2 cpm.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Well I'm on the (delayed) 10:58 am 737-900 today. 3 frequencies today. E175/739/320.

Aircraft choice for this route seems to change quite a bit throughout the year
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
This change has caused me to buy DL first-class seats when I've had to fly the route. It's almost always personal travel, and the discount first fares on DL are very competitive, combined with far more schedule flexibility.

It's another example of me shifting spend away from UA. I am already 1K again, and given that I don't seem to ever be considered for GS, once I know I will have 1K status with my "normal" UA travel (lots of SFO/SJC - IAH, plus quite a lot of transpac travel), it's easy to shift the discretionary spend to the most convenient / best service carrier, epsecially when buying premium cabin tickets.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Goaliedad30
This change has caused me to buy DL first-class seats when I've had to fly the route. It's almost always personal travel, and the discount first fares on DL are very competitive, combined with far more schedule flexibility.

It's another example of me shifting spend away from UA. I am already 1K again, and given that I don't seem to ever be considered for GS, once I know I will have 1K status with my "normal" UA travel (lots of SFO/SJC - IAH, plus quite a lot of transpac travel), it's easy to shift the discretionary spend to the most convenient / best service carrier, epsecially when buying premium cabin tickets.
You're clearly not the only one, which is why DL is getting a $500 premium for F, vs. only $200 for UA.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by demkr
Well I'm on the (delayed) 10:58 am 737-900 today. 3 frequencies today. E175/739/320.

Aircraft choice for this route seems to change quite a bit throughout the year
I was on that one too! The family with 2 kids in row 10. It was my 4-year-old's 100th lifetime flight, and she really wanted to go to the cockpit to see the pilots. Unfortunately we were on the plane for an hour before the pilots showed up...they had no time before the flight, and afterwards the purser rushed us off saying the pilots had to make a quick connection at MSP. The kid was very disappointed.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I flew this on the E75 last weekend. I don't fly all that much (hence much lurking, little posting), so it being my first time on an RJ in quite a while my hopes weren't high. I have to say I was pretty pleasantly surprised. The meal service was respectable (cross post in food thread), and most of the rest seemed comparable to mainline. Sure, my overhead "bin" was a few inches deep at best, and the lavatory felt even more like a coffin than usual, but I kinda like the window+aisle feature of the 1-2 F cabin.

I wouldn't argue it's better than mainline, but with L-UPs down to $565 rt I'm honestly a little surprised no one else (except sometimes SY - never flown them) is even in the same ballpark with UA on FC fares for this route. I fly this route for leisure so I can afford the spottier schedule (and honestly 2-3x daily nonstop isn't that bad). To me the ~$350 savings is more than worth the RJ / chance of worse IRROPS. If you guys flying DL anyway is what keeps UA's fares down, I guess I'm not complaining

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.