Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
another data point

I am *A Silver and have a B fare, codeshare with LH, ticketed through a travel agent.

I called the LH call center using the US number. Waited on hold for 50 minutes, and was assigned seats with no problem. I can see them on .bomb. It's because they're in B that it could happen.

Now, what I found out is that because my LH flights are booked as UA codeshare and not the LH flight number, I cannot upgrade to biz using miles. I can only do so if my flights reflect the LH flight numbers. Since that goes against the rules I need to use when traveling (Fly America) I am SOL in getting the upgrades. Can't wait for 18+ hours in economy.....
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's because they're in B that it could happen.
Just to clarify, while that is what should be happening, it doesn't always. I've had ASR not work with C fares.

Upgrading on LH using UA miles should actually be possible for you, as you can upgrade from LH Y, B, and J.

I'm finding myself shifting over to UA metal more and more because of the missing integration, but also because on UA I can at least try for an upgrade, and if that falls through I still get E+. To me, it ends up coming down to the type of plane. If it's between a UA 747 or even 777 and a LH A380 or 748, I might forego the extra legroom in favor of flying on a newer, nicer plane. If it's a LH 744, there really isn't any point.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by flltravel
I just tried again as well, no where I can find an option to select seats after putting in my booking code and last name.
After you enter your information in the "My Bookings" area for me a screen comes up:

If you click on the seat reservations it should allow you to select seats. Please note that although I am in business class this screen has never worked before - until recently. Also note that I beleive that only certain fare classes allow advanced seat selection on LH...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Just bought a bunch of LH tickets on UA web site - and the LH seat selection policy is apparently SOLELY fare-based. (Confirmed with a colleague who is HON Circle.) In other words, status does NOT matter.

In short: V classes and above get free seat selection (so calling LH or going to LH.com would work for those classes), while W and below require a payment of a fee. (And apparently there is still no way to pay that fee if you are ticketed on 016 stock.)

In addition, it appears that LX now has the same policy.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:25 pm

Angry LH Economy Award Seating

I apologize for joining this conversation late, but then again this only recently became an issue for me. I am returning LHR-FRA-MIA on LH next week and am using a United Airlines economy mileage save award (30K miles). Obviously, no advance seat selection was offered when I booked the ticket on-line. So ... I seem to be stuck in the 23 hours prior to departure window for getting seats. My question(s) are:
1. I can't even seem to bring up the reservation on the LH site (just to look at it) using the UA confirmation number/code. Anyone have thoughts on this?
2. How awful are the odds of getting an aisle seat? The flight from FRA - MIA is an Airbus A380, and if I get stuck in a middle seat for 10 hours I may just forfeit the flight (I've done it before). Torture is not high on my list of new adventures. But I am serious, is there a reasonable selection of seats when you log on?

I am planning on calling LH in London when I arrive there on Saturday from my three week stay in Paris, and hope that at least they can help with the first question. I suppose I could play dumb and see if they will give me a seat, but from what I am reading here - and everyone seems to be having varied experiences - that seems unlikely (since you can't get a cheaper ticket than mine).

I agree with the comment above - never again will I book an alliance partner flight. Having a reasonable seat is too important. This could be the flight from hell coming up. Thanks for any help, and letting me gripe.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by viapanam
I apologize for joining this conversation late, but then again this only recently became an issue for me. I am returning LHR-FRA-MIA on LH next week and am using a United Airlines economy mileage save award (30K miles). Obviously, no advance seat selection was offered when I booked the ticket on-line. So ... I seem to be stuck in the 23 hours prior to departure window for getting seats. My question(s) are:
1. I can't even seem to bring up the reservation on the LH site (just to look at it) using the UA confirmation number/code. Anyone have thoughts on this?
2. How awful are the odds of getting an aisle seat? The flight from FRA - MIA is an Airbus A380, and if I get stuck in a middle seat for 10 hours I may just forfeit the flight (I've done it before). Torture is not high on my list of new adventures. But I am serious, is there a reasonable selection of seats when you log on?

I am planning on calling LH in London when I arrive there on Saturday from my three week stay in Paris, and hope that at least they can help with the first question. I suppose I could play dumb and see if they will give me a seat, but from what I am reading here - and everyone seems to be having varied experiences - that seems unlikely (since you can't get a cheaper ticket than mine).

I agree with the comment above - never again will I book an alliance partner flight. Having a reasonable seat is too important. This could be the flight from hell coming up. Thanks for any help, and letting me gripe.
It is not possible to use a UA confirmation number on the LH website. You need the LH confirmation number. It should be available on your online itinerary.

I would suggest that you simply call LH and ask if they will assign you a seat. Not sure what the current policy is on economy award tickets, but last time I had one (late April) it was not a problem getting an advance seat assignment.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is not possible to use a UA confirmation number on the LH website. You need the LH confirmation number. It should be available on your online itinerary.

I would suggest that you simply call LH and ask if they will assign you a seat. Not sure what the current policy is on economy award tickets, but last time I had one (late April) it was not a problem getting an advance seat assignment.
I tried recently for an upcoming flight (I'm on United ticket stock and upgraded using miles). On LH, I'm in economy and was told no advance seat assignment. Fortunately, the transatlantic legs are on United metal so I'm okay there.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by viapanam
You should be able to pull up your itinerary on LH website - here is how.

First, you will need LH booking code - it should be available on UA.com; in your itinerary, look for the line that says "View additional booking numbers" (right under the "United Confirmation Number" line).

Second, go to LH.com, and open your LH itinerary (My bookings... then use the LH Booking Code and Last Name option). If you can select the seats online, it will be there.

Finally, AFAIK, LH economy awards book into X fare class - which should qualify for advanced seat selection; LH IT is not exactly its strongest suit, so YMMV.

It is worth a try - if online check in is not available, call. Could not agree more torture-wise.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Another data point:

I've got no status and a UA saver award ticket SFO-MUC-IST for next spring, both flights on LH (flight # and metal) in Y. When I pull up my booking on the LH website (using LH confirmation #), it does show the Seat Reservations heading. When I click it, I see that LH has assigned seats for me on both flights. But there's no apparent way for me to change those seats, neither for free nor for a fee.

I haven't called LH. At least they're aisle seats, even if not the ones I'd choose, so I may just let it be.

The seat assignments don't show up when I pull up the booking on UA's site, but I didn't necessarily expect them to.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
I bought a Business saver award ticket to FRA (bought on 7/25 flight later), and I'm able to change seats on the LH leg on the LH website.

I'd probably call. They'll probably ask for CC# over the phone.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:07 pm

I just tried calling LH again.

They tell me that if you have a United ticket number (i.e., you're on United stock), and your fare class is too low, then you cannot select seats in advance on your LH flight, either for free OR by paying.

Naturally, I'm on United stock so I'm out of luck.

(Edited to add the piece about fare class -- it's apparently a combination of the two, because they say they can't process the payment for the seat selection if it's a United ticket.)

Last edited by titaniumfemme; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Didn't search through the entire thread, but I was able to call in and get seats on 016 stock. Website didn't work. Seems to depend on fare class: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...167843163&l=en
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:13 pm

Sorry for the multiple posts and what is a bit of an off topic question. (I'm happy to post it as a stand alone thread if that makes more sense.)

For those who travel LH (I've never flown on the airline), is it common/uncommon/a crap shoot to be able to get an aisle seat if you can't select your seat until 24 hrs. before the flight? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

For those who travel LH (I've never flown on the airline), is it common/uncommon/a crap shoot to be able to get an aisle seat if you can't select your seat until 24 hrs. before the flight? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
Depends on a lot of factors, such as time and popularity of route. Two data points for you:
  • Thus far I'm 10/10 in being able to select aisle seats at T-23.
  • However, I've heard stories from friends here and there who were unable to select aisle, as all that was left were window and middle seats at T-23.
  • Also, I've had 2 cases where I was unable to check in online or via the phone and had to check in at the airport. In those cases, I would imagine that I wouldn't have been able to get an aisle seat in econ, but fortunately both times I was in business, so it wasn't an issue.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
I just tried calling LH again.

They tell me that if you have a United ticket number (i.e., you're on United stock), and your fare class is too low, then you cannot select seats in advance on your LH flight, either for free OR by paying.

Naturally, I'm on United stock so I'm out of luck.

(Edited to add the piece about fare class -- it's apparently a combination of the two, because they say they can't process the payment for the seat selection if it's a United ticket.)
Originally Posted by eng3
Didn't search through the entire thread, but I was able to call in and get seats on 016 stock. Website didn't work. Seems to depend on fare class: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...167843163&l=en
So, putting these together: if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book any other economy fare, you have to pay for seat assignment - but because LH can't process these payments if your ticket is not on LH stock, you simply can't get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH).

Brilliant. This is so annoying. Isn't the whole POINT of an alliance that it makes it easy to fly seamlessly across the whole network? I guess that no longer applies to the unwashed masses on S and T fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.