Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
I bet United starts doing this sometime soon

Why wouldn't they?
Old May 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DesertFox62
Sorry, the LH segment is F on mine. Didn't see that you were trying LH Y.
I don't know if seats selections work with LH Y, on Thai's website? Anyone try it?
Remarkably it did, and the change shows when I check it on the lufthansa website. Intra-europe flight more than 7 days out in economy, btw.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
Remarkably it did, and the change shows when I check it on the lufthansa website. Intra-europe flight more than 7 days out in economy, btw.
Gotta love TG and Saudia and their unintentional web tools!
Old May 14, 2014, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Has this worked for anyone else since? I just tried this little trick (UA ticket on LH flight), and the thai airways says it can't display my itinerary. I tried using both the UA and the LH record locators, no luck.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Their online seat selection has been FUBAR for a while now. I called two days ago and got a free seat selection with an S fare on United stock FRA-ORD. Try calling LH in the US. You may get a friendly agent like I did.
Same here, I called and the agent gave us all seats together no problem. I called us number but quite late at night, I suspect I got a German call center. The tickets are two MP awards and one UA ticket stock.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Have had success selecting LH seats (also OS) on LOT.com http://www.lot.com/gb/en/
Old May 15, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Why wouldn't they?
I'll bet $200 they won't before March 1, 2015. Will you take that bet?
Old May 22, 2014, 10:58 am

I just booked four people roundtrip from Amarillo to Chennai India with United. It is Lufthansa for most of it, from Houston-Franfurt-Chennai. We are traveling in late September 2014. Economy class.

Got my Lufthansa code and the reservation came right up, but the choose seat button did nothing.

I called and the agent said all seats were blocked out and she could not assign anything on any of our four Lufthansa flights. Her only recommendation was to check back a month in advance. Is this seriously my only option? It would be horrible to be on two 11 hour flights and not be seated together with the rest of my party.

have tried Thai and LOT websites, does not come up on those.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:04 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by printman2000
I just booked four people roundtrip from Amarillo to Chennai India with United. It is Lufthansa for most of it, from Houston-Franfurt-Chennai. We are traveling in late September 2014. Economy class.

Got my Lufthansa code and the reservation came right up, but the choose seat button did nothing.

I called and the agent said all seats were blocked out and she could not assign anything on any of our four Lufthansa flights. Her only recommendation was to check back a month in advance. Is this seriously my only option? It would be horrible to be on two 11 hour flights and not be seated together with the rest of my party.

have tried Thai and LOT websites, does not come up on those.
If this was me, I'd assume that that my party WILL be split up. If you can't live with this and can still cancel the flight, I would do so immediately.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan
If this was me, I'd assume that that my party WILL be split up. If you can't live with this and can still cancel the flight, I would do so immediately.
We still have to get there and back. I guess I could book Lufthansa Houston-Chennai, then do Amarillo to Houston separately. Course, that worries me a bit if something happens to our first flight and we miss our connection.

Wow, just never expected this problem.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:58 am

I don't guess booking through Expedia would change anything, huh? They claim you can pick seats after booking. Think I will run into the same problem?
Old May 22, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Continental
Is it possible to get advance seat assignments when purchasing a Business Class fare on LH through united.com? I have to get the 016 stock for PQD.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
I was able to assign seats for a UA award ticket using the OS web site but for the very same flights I was not able to assign seats for a UA revenue ticket. The LH flights on the UA revenue ticket were codeshares.

I don't normally purchase codeshares but I wanted to make sure that it was on 016 stock for the PQD. I wonder if that is why I cannot assign seats. The award tickets are also on 016, but they are LH flight numbers.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Is it possible to get advance seat assignments when purchasing a Business Class fare on LH through united.com? I have to get the 016 stock for PQD.
Yes, just have to call it in
Old May 23, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711
In a word, yes. In fact, just did it yesterday - but you have to call Lufthansa USA.

Once you do that, the LH seat assignments will show on united.com as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.