Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Q about Award Reservation--Air China unable to see my reservation

Old May 2, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP

I booked an award reservation on May 1, 2014, on United.com, using United miles, as follows:

outbound leg:

BUSINESS CLASS: IAH-NRT-TPE (IAH-NRT is with UA, while NRT-TPE is with EVA)

return leg:

FIRST CLASS: TPE-PEK-IAH (TPE-PEK is with EVA, while PEK-IAH is with AIR CHINA).

United agent gave me EVA's confirmation number, which I used to obtain seat assignments on the EVA legs by calling EVA.

However, United agent cannot see Air China's confirmation number.

I called Air China and gave them e-ticket #. They said they are unable to see my reservation.

I called United today, May 2, and asked United to call Air China to fix problem. After one hour on phone, United agent comes back and tells me there is likely a delay in propagating the reservation to Air China's system, and asked me to call back on May 3 to check.

Has anyone else run into this issue before? And if so, what was done to fix the problem?
Old May 2, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
Hopefully it's not related to this issue -- http://upgrd.com/matthew/mysterious-...leageplus.html
Old May 2, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I didn't see you specifically mention this but assume you can see the full reservation on united.com?

This happened to me with a reservation containing a SN segment, and I got the same advice. I called back the next day, no change, but the new agent was able to manually ticket it somehow.

My advice is call back now and ask the agent to help you get it ticketed. Others on the forum probably know the details behind this issue, I don't.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
I didn't see you specifically mention this but assume you can see the full reservation on united.com?
Yes I can see full reservation on united.com

Originally Posted by gster78
Hopefully it's not related to this issue -- http://upgrd.com/matthew/mysterious-...leageplus.html
I don't believe so. The reservation is still intact (i.e. no cancellation), at least according to United.com and the United agent.

The United agent said it was a synchronization issue between United and Air China. I'm a bit befuddled by that since EVA has no issue seeing my reservation.

Has anyone else experienced an issue where a Partner airline is unable to see an award reservation booked through United?
Old May 2, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Has the reservation ticketed? I have found that it can take a few days for reservations to ticket when partners are involved.

At the very least, patience is important. Give it another day or two per the agent.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It probably hasn't ticketed on CA yet. Supposed to happen within 24 hours, but sometimes there are delays. Hard to tell if it's a UA issue or a CA issue. UA used to screw these up quite often, but not getting many reports of that lately.

Have you checked your ticket on the Saudia website? saudiairlines/Welcome
Old May 2, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It probably hasn't ticketed on CA yet. Supposed to happen within 24 hours, but sometimes there are delays. Hard to tell if it's a UA issue or a CA issue. UA used to screw these up quite often, but not getting many reports of that lately.

Have you checked your ticket on the Saudia website? saudiairlines/Welcome
Yes I can see all legs of my reservation (including the Air China leg) on the Saudia website using my ticket #. Odd that Saudia airlines can see my reservation and Air China can't.

I guess if it doesn't show up in 24 hours at Air China, I'll have to escalate to a supervisor at United. I'm not sure about the competency of the agent who was helping me (I'm a non-elite and so assume I probably got the bottom of the barrel in terms of customer assistance).
Old May 2, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Make sure to read the linked article and this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hacked-25.html

I would be very nervous about booking one of these until this is sorted out and is put to a stop.
Old May 3, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:

It appears that the reservation did not ticket because United.com erroneously showed award availability of F, while Air China did not have award availability.

Spent two more hours today on the phone to discover that

United changed my TPE-PEK-IAH (First class) to TPE-NRT-IAH (Business class). Recredited 40,000 miles to my account (120,000 F award less 80,000 C award).
Old May 3, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you happy with this or would you prefer FC for more miles? How are your new schedule and NRT connecting times?
Old May 3, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by DH77024
UPDATE:

It appears that the reservation did not ticket because United.com erroneously showed award availability of F, while Air China did not have award availability.

Spent two more hours today on the phone to discover that

United changed my TPE-PEK-IAH (First class) to TPE-NRT-IAH (Business class). Recredited 40,000 miles to my account (120,000 F award less 80,000 C award).
That's not the actual issue. The availability you saw was 100% real. The issue is United's systems don't talk to Air China all the time. It sucks.
Old May 3, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you happy with this or would you prefer FC for more miles? How are your new schedule and NRT connecting times?
New schedule is similar to original schedule, so OK there.

I certainly would have preferred F with Air China (enjoyed my experience last year with them in F), but felt it wasn't worth the aggravation (including more hours on the phone) of insisting on F on a different route which may not be ideal.
Old May 3, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DH77024
New schedule is similar to original schedule, so OK there.

I certainly would have preferred F with Air China (enjoyed my experience last year with them in F), but felt it wasn't worth the aggravation (including more hours on the phone) of insisting on F on a different route which may not be ideal.
At least you don't have to worry about your Air China flights being mysteriously cancelled.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:36 am

I made a UA award reservation with a CA flight in it. UA gave me a confirmation number, and I was able to get a seat assignment by calling CA. Does this mean I'm good to go? Wonder the issues in 2014 are resolved by now. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Another variation on this theme happened to a GS friend:

He booked a SFO-PEK-BKK saver coach award ticket (in X), and upgraded the SFO-PEK to PN using a GPU. PEK-BKK was in Y on Air China (CA). The PNR and e-ticket number were confirmed with UA all the way through to BKK. CA was called for a seat assignment; they said they saw the reservation OK, but could not reserve a seat until check-in at the transit desk in PEK.

At check-in at SFO, UA could not print out the BP for the CA PEK-BKK leg either out front or at the GFL -- both agents agreed that CA had confirmed the space and he'd be fine.

When he got to PEK, the transit desk said that they could not see confirmed space, and since he was on an award ticket and the flight was oversold, he would have to overnight in PEK *two nights* before they had a seat available. My friend asked CA to get a UA agent, who fortunately came over. The UA agent apologized, but said she could not do anything -- and that all other airlines were sold out on the route until the second day ahead. My friend had three 70-lbs bags and was worried about how he was going to lug these back-and-forth to a hotel as he attempted to stand-by.

The good news is he insisted on going to the gate of the original CA flight PEK-BKK, stood by, and got the last seat on the plane. So that ended well, except for some agita.

While waiting at PEK he called GS, and the very nice agent said they have had a lot of problems with CA and other *A carriers in similar cases, thought LH and NH were "better" in handling award legs as part of UA ticketed itineraries that had original legs on UA. She agreed that the so-called "seamless" *A service wasn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.