Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Miles expired - I know - I'm an idiot

Yes, I'm an idiot and there is nothing I can do to change that

I let 150K+ expire a few months ago. I did not know it until I rec'd one of those subscription requests in the mail and I went to check and low and behold my balance was zero

I realized that I made a major error in not keeping up with my UA account, ironically about 8 months ago, I made transactions for my kids to keep their account alive but not mine, go figure

So for $400 I can get the miles back and for that amount of miles, its definitely worth it as I'll get way more value for that $400 than if I just let them die by not repurchasing, I understand the rules, I understand that I goofed and this is the price. I'm not complaining. For the record, i have no hotels or cars that I could use that have not posted.

My question is, I see I can wait up to 18 months to get these miles back. I realize the risk is that they up the price or heaven forbid change the program. Other than those two risks, is there any downside to waiting to buy the miles until I need them (but prior to the 18 months?)

Will my 18 month clock reset to the repurchase date?

thanks, yes I'm an idiot
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:35 am

Retrieving old miles

I had a round trip with UA 2 years ago (about 16k miles) and registered my mileage account right after I purchased the tickets, but the mileage was never added in my account. My lifetime mileage is still zero.

Any idea if this trip can still be added to my account? Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by neversaynever
I had a round trip with UA 2 years ago (about 16k miles) and registered my mileage account right after I purchased the tickets, but the mileage was never added in my account. My lifetime mileage is still zero.

Any idea if this trip can still be added to my account? Thanks a lot.
Welcome to FT.

A member's miles "will expire if there is no current activity for 18 months consecutive." 2 years is past this threshold.

If you only fly every two years on UA - Perhaps switch to DL - where the miles do not expire.

To add: Do you have a Chase Card and have you flown UA with the past 18 months?

Last edited by kettle1; Dec 5, 2014 at 1:00 am Reason: add a question
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by neversaynever
.... My lifetime mileage is still zero. ...
While RDMs can expire, lifetime miles never expire.

Lifetime miles are only earned on UA operated flights, were your flights UA flights (and not UA codeshares)?

Missing flight credit can only be requested for flights within the past 12 months.

Expired (within the last 18 months) RDMs can be reinstated for a fee.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:51 pm

Thank you guys for your answers! I will call costumer service to see what options I have
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Lost 110k points

Can't believe it has been 18 mos w/no activity and I lost 110k points. UA wants $200 to bring back 100k points according to the re-instatement table.

This sucks.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
If you will use them then pay and chalk it up as an expensive lesson - and IMO that's quite a bit less than they are worth...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
$200 is a pretty reasonable price to pay for points worth thousands. But as noted above, they are only worth that much if you are going to use them.

It is remotely possible you could get a better deal by calling United and begging.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure what you expect. It is what it is. $200 for $110k points is a pretty good purchase you could have avoided.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
See also post #2 in this thread.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
See also post #2 in this thread.
I have a bunch of car rentals from national in the past 12 months but they were all set to give car rental credit. Spoke with national, they won't retroactively switch from car rental to airline credit. They did say that had I not picked any type of credit they would go back and assign airline credit.

UPDATE: So DW had an avis reservation in the past 12 months where no credit was awarded. We have the same last name, so I gave avis my united #. Hopefully it goes through.

Last edited by ymarker; Jan 25, 2015 at 11:16 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Loyalty? Hah!
United raises expired miles fee 300 percent today

A few days ago, I checked my MP account and learned that the 47K miles in my account had expired November 1-no warning, of course, but I guess that was up to me to keep track. Although, honestly, I didn't realize the miles ever expired, as my Continental ones never did. I checked and found out i could reinstate them for $100 (the fee is based on number of miles to be reinstated).

Today I decided to bite the bullet and pay for them, but found that as of today, the fee is now $300--a 300 percent increase! This is really outrageous, no heads-up that "certain fees might change, etc." Must admit, I am so furious about this, as I am a 70 year-old grandmother who doesn't travel that much, but was saving those miles for a trip to Europe.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to avoid having to pay $300 to get my miles back? Thank you for any advice in advance--you all seem to be really helpful in all kinds of situations.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gardenlover
...Although, honestly, I didn't realize the miles ever expired, as my Continental ones never did. ...
started in 2012 -- after 18 months on no activity
see the wiki in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html

.. I checked and found out i could reinstate them for $100 (the fee is based on number of miles to be reinstated).

Today I decided to bite the bullet and pay for them, but found that as of today, the fee is now $300--a 300 percent increase! ....
does appear a price change has occurred
starts at $0.01 per mile and reduces to $0.005 per mile

was
Pricing effective April 1, 2012
1-25,000 : $50
25,001-50,000 : $100
50,001-75,000 : $150
75,001-100,000 : $200
100,001-150,000 : $300
>150,000 : $400
0.4cpm to 0.2cpm

.. Does anyone have any ideas for me to avoid having to pay $300 to get my miles back? ....
see the rental car item in this thread or check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 25, 2015 at 9:27 pm Reason: old rates
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
A few days ago, I checked my MP account and learned that the 47K miles in my account had expired November 1-no warning, of course, but I guess that was up to me to keep track. Although, honestly, I didn't realize the miles ever expired, as my Continental ones never did. I checked and found out i could reinstate them for $100 (the fee is based on number of miles to be reinstated).

Today I decided to bite the bullet and pay for them, but found that as of today, the fee is now $300--a 300 percent increase! This is really outrageous, no heads-up that "certain fees might change, etc." Must admit, I am so furious about this, as I am a 70 year-old grandmother who doesn't travel that much, but was saving those miles for a trip to Europe.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to avoid having to pay $300 to get my miles back? Thank you for any advice in advance--you all seem to be really helpful in all kinds of situations.
According to UA, prices are as of Feb. 25 (yesterday) so I'm afraid nothing you can do other than call and beg for mercy. I wouldn't keep my hopes too high.

http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles3.jsp
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
as of today, the fee is now $300--a 300 percent increase!
In the interest of accuracy, $100 to $300 is "only" a 200% increase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.