Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Remarkable CPU situation on SFO-BOS today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

On the late flight to Boston tonight (UA 444), when I boarded, F was showing as 21 booked and checked-in, and there were just 3 people remaining on the upgrade list. As far as I can tell, that means that everyone who was eligible for a CPU on this flight got it. I have never seen that before!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by cricketer
On the late flight to Boston tonight (UA 444), when I boarded, F was showing as 21 booked and checked-in, and there were just 3 people remaining on the upgrade list. As far as I can tell, that means that everyone who was eligible for a CPU on this flight got it. I have never seen that before!
a silver getting an upgrade?????? ... unheard of UA!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The late EWR-LAX flight last night went out with open seats in F.

I think UA is hurting.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

I think UA is hurting.
Wow. Indeed.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Wow, the last time I flew that route there were GS failing with CR1/e500 (OK, it's been a while)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by cricketer
I fly SFO-BOS quite a bit. I'm amazed UA still keeps flight 444 going. That flight is consistently tens or hundreds of dollars cheaper than all the other non-stops, and whenever I'm forced to take it, it's been relatively empty.

On the contrary the noon, 2 PM, and redeyes are more-or-less packed regardless of the season.

The flight is just at a really bad time. It's not quite late enough leaving SFO to let you do a full day's worth of work, but it's too late for a half-day. It gets in at a horrible hour when there's no public transit and half the rental car shops are closed. It reminds me of those HND flights arriving at horrible times.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: UA/MM/1K

I think UA is hurting.
This one is surprising...9 open in first on this flight...though the E+ section is wide open with 9 people seated in that area......surprised that those 9 people did not get offered the seat unless they were no status kettles who paid for E+...puzzling.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

I think UA is hurting.
We'll find out today. If UA looses money Q1, what excuse will management give this time?

United Airlines (UAL) will hold a conference call to discuss first-quarter 2014 financial results on Thursday, April 24, at 9:30 a.m. CT/10:30 a.m. ET. A live, listen-only webcast of the conference call will be available at ir.united.com.
Highly Ranked Airline Industry Gets Boost From Delta
http://news.investors.com/042314-698...lled&ven=yahoo

So far:

DL = Made money
WN = Expects to make $
AA = Expects to make $
UA = Expects to loose $

We'll find out in a few hours.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by sincx
I fly SFO-BOS quite a bit. I'm amazed UA still keeps flight 444 going. That flight is consistently tens or hundreds of dollars cheaper than all the other non-stops, and whenever I'm forced to take it, it's been relatively empty.

On the contrary the noon, 2 PM, and redeyes are more-or-less packed regardless of the season.

The flight is just at a really bad time. It's not quite late enough leaving SFO to let you do a full day's worth of work, but it's too late for a half-day. It gets in at a horrible hour when there's no public transit and half the rental car shops are closed. It reminds me of those HND flights arriving at horrible times.
That's my favorite flight! Seriously, the time is perfect for me: I can schedule morning meetings in SFO, have lunch, then still arrive in Boston in time to sleep in my own bed.

To each his own, I guess.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1
...loose...
aargh
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sincx

youre forgetting 1 other thing, if they CX that SFO-BOS flight they wont have a plane in BOS to operate a flight the next day. So by sending it so late it may allow them to operate other flights with that plane till it gets to SFO and heads to BOS. So in the end they are in fact maxing out the earnings for that plane
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by kettle1
We'll find out today.

UA = Expects to loose $

We'll find out in a few hours.

Yup, apparently $0.5B of loose change apparently fell out of Smiseks pockets. That must be the explanation as to why UA continues to lose money.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat

I think UA is hurting.
the signs are everywhere; lower earnings--traffic down--limes too expensive...not long until the attorneys cry Chapter 11
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by boss315
not long until the attorneys cry Chapter 11
again.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:19 pm

I think UA is hurting.
Yep and no saver awards were showing at all!!! Guess they don't want us to use miles to eat up all the empty inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.