Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Customer Satisfaction Survey - United at the bottom, but a lot.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

The annual American Consumer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) scores are out for 2014. The survey uses data from a survey of 70,000 US customers and looks at a number of industries, and the scores can be compared across industries.

The scores for airlines are as follows (the first number is for 2013, second is 2014)

JetBlue 83 79
Southwest 81 78
Delta 68 71
American 65 66
US Airways 64 66
United 62 60

For comparison, the same report listed hotel chains, The ritz-carlton has a ACSI of 86, Westin of 82, and Super 8 of 68.

It is notable that while Delta, American, and US Airways all raised there ACSI scores, United's actually fell, and the gap is substantial. As the report noted "Among the legacy airlines, Delta emerges as the best in the group, with a gain of 4% to an ACSI score of 71, inching ahead of the aggregate of smaller airlines (including Alaska Air, Frontier, and Spirit). This is a 27% improvement in customer satisfaction since 2011, when Delta plunged to an all-time low of 56 in the wake of its Northwest acquisition."

On United the report says: "Since United is so far behind other airlines in passenger satisfaction, it will not be easy to gain market share or to keep customers, especially when considering that 30% of their passengers have an ACSI score below 50. The acquisition of Continental appears to play a role here—frequent and continual problems with reservations and refunds three years after the merger are problematic."

Full report is here, registration is required to access: http://www.theacsi.org/news-and-reso...-2014-download

Last edited by spin88; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spin88

On United the report says: "Since United is so far behind other airlines in passenger satisfaction, it will not be easy to gain market share or to keep customers, especially when considering that 30% of their passengers have
an ACSI score below 50
. The acquisition of Continental appears to play a role here—frequent and continual problems with reservations and refunds three years after the merger are problematic."

Full report is here, registration is required to access: http://www.theacsi.org/news-and-reso...-2014-download
Bolding is mine. Please clarify for me - how does a passenger acquire an ACSI score? Was this a typo and does it mean that the passengers rated UA below 50?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mdobbins
Bolding is mine. Please clarify for me - how does a passenger acquire an ACSI score? Was this a typo and does it mean that the passengers rated UA below 50?
I quoted the report, but from context its clear that the authors meant that of the 70,000 respondents, when the ACSI scores were calculated for those who answered as to United, 30% of the respondents had scores of less 50, which is really, really low.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I quoted the report, but from context its clear that the authors meant that of the 70,000 respondents, when the ACSI scores were calculated for those who answered as to United, 30% of the respondents had scores of less 50, which is really, really low.
Thanks - that helps me understand much better!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Looks like UA is determined to revert to the levels it languished at for the decade before the merger. This was a survey that CO historically did very well in - it's a pity that performance isn't being achieved now:

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Neither the UA or the DL numbers surprise me.

If DL was in OW or *A and had a better FF programme, I'd drop UA tomorrow. I've only flown them on some limited domestic travel but haven't had a bad DL flight or FA yet in 2014. They're impressive!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
And incredibly ironic that this is the CO Houston gang leading the charge....

Originally Posted by star_world
Looks like UA is determined to revert to the levels it languished at for the decade before the merger. This was a survey that CO historically did very well in - it's a pity that performance isn't being achieved now:

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mdobbins

The correct quote should be "“considering that 30% of (United’s) passengers (awarded) an ACSI score below 50,” ACSI said."

By the way one can access the complete report for free at Forbes.com, link
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/...action-survey/
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danville 1K
And incredibly ironic that this is the CO Houston gang leading the charge....
Disappointing, rather than ironic IMO - well over half the employee base is ex-UA, and the customer-facing staff play a huge role in customer perception in surveys like this.

The disappointment is that the new UA management (which is categorically not "CO Houston" btw) hasn't been able to pull the whole employee base together to deliver an improved level of service - instead we're seeing huge divisions and incredibly poor attitudes in many cases.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:40 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Disappointing, rather than ironic IMO - well over half the employee base is ex-UA, and the customer-facing staff play a huge role in customer perception in surveys like this.

The disappointment is that the new UA management (which is categorically not "CO Houston" btw) hasn't been able to pull the whole employee base together to deliver an improved level of service - instead we're seeing huge divisions and incredibly poor attitudes in many cases.
The tone of the company is set by those at the top, the customer-facing staff are delivering the message. And those at the very top are much more CO Houston than ex-UA.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by danville 1K
The tone of the company is set by those at the top, the customer-facing staff are delivering the message. And those at the very top are much more CO Houston than ex-UA.
Exactly. The FA has no control over the garbage food they serve, or the fact that the IFE has been ripped out, or the fact that the WiFi doesn't exist or doesn't work.

Just like the GA has no control over the fact that the computer system sucks, and it's going to take 20 minutes to rebook someone who's just been disserviced.

All the smiles and politeness in the world is not going to fix the fundamental problems at United.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Exactly. The FA has no control over the garbage food they serve, or the fact that the IFE has been ripped out, or the fact that the WiFi doesn't exist or doesn't work.

Just like the GA has no control over the fact that the computer system sucks, and it's going to take 20 minutes to rebook someone who's just been disserviced.

All the smiles and politeness in the world is not going to fix the fundamental problems at United.
Why were UA's scores so low for the decade before the merger then, in your opinion? They had a computer system that you believed was more functional for that entire period.

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

I hope you agree, it's both sides. ex CO and ex UA employees are both blaming eachother. They need to get both sides together.

As far as the chart, you can see UA was trending up while CO was starting a drop. CO also had less customers so less complaints.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Looks like UA is determined to revert to the levels it languished at for the decade before the merger.
I think the operating theory must be that this time, with fewer competitors and fewer options for consumers, it won't hurt them as much.

Take a look at UA's downward spike in star-world's chart above. That's UA's rating in the year after the 2000 "summer from hell," the worst service-and-operations debacle in UA's post-deregulation history. It looks like UA got around 57 back then. They are back in that territory now.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I hope you agree, it's both sides. ex CO and ex UA employees are both blaming eachother. They need to get both sides together.

As far as the chart, you can see UA was trending up while CO was starting a drop. CO also had less customers so less complaints.
I totally agree that it's both sides, and that they need to be brought together.

The data is corrected for volume of customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.