Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Customer Satisfaction Survey - United at the bottom, but a lot.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet Another Customer Satisfaction Survey - United at the bottom, but a lot.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danville 1K
The tone of the company is set by those at the top, the customer-facing staff are delivering the message. And those at the very top are much more CO Houston than ex-UA.
^^ Remember, it was a pmUA manager in charge of IT that argued against SHARES, and was sacked for his efforts.

Originally Posted by EWR764
The bottom line is that this management team is essentially running two poor airlines, and I maintain that the root cause of UA's current problems is the inability for this management team to find a way to integrate the operation. Since the merger, they've blown through an astonishing amount of employee goodwill and I am quite confident that this management team will never, ever regain the trust of the rank-and-file.

Treating your people like garbage (despite Bethune-era mantras, which are mostly lip service at this point) and not giving them the tools they need to do their jobs is not a sustainable strategy for running a business. Eventually the contempt trickles down to your customers.
Very well said!!!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
They're destroying the "friendly" slogan much as they've destroyed the globe logo.

Both will need to go when the regime changes to show a turnaround.
I haven't thought about it this way before, but perhaps I should be glad that they retired my beloved "tulip" in favor of a worn-out globe. That way when SMI/J gets his just desserts I can rejoice when the new administration retires that badly tarnished bit of corporate nothingness and brings back the tulip that was actually designed and stood for something as a sign of positive change to come!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Who cares if it's UA or CO for placing blame. You've got an idiot bean counter at the top who doesn't give a rats behind about the customer experience and you've got an airline that is short-sighted and out of touch. The airlines merged, the merger is done and the result is the bottom of the barrel in an industry where service is already a steaming pile of poo.

So in summary - United has the steamiest pile of poo and it's getting worse in an industry that already can't get out of it's own way to treat customers with adequate service.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Based on this survey, what I take away is:

--Southwest is getting worse
--Delta keeps on getting better
--United is pretty much rock bottom.
--American and USAir get the same rating. It's too early to tell if the merger will be a good thing or not.

Bottom line -- I'm done with UA. I will make DL Silver this year and it's no looking back to see what CO did to the airline I used to consider "my second choice." It hurts to see the 757s disappearing in favor of more RJs and bare-bones 739s. I just get angry when I think of what this airline could have become. It's insane to think of how Smisek shot every possible opportunity down to make this airline what it is today. And yet he's still trying to convince me that they are friendly and great! Am I missing something?

The worst are the people out there that think CO control of the airline was/is the right thing to do, and will defend this horrid UA no matter what. Those people have some serious issues.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
The worst are the people out there that think CO control of the airline was/is the right thing to do, and will defend this horrid UA no matter what. Those people have some serious issues.
Would you like to re-state this to bring it in line with reality? I'm not aware of anyone here who defends UA on a regular basis.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by star_world
Would you like to re-state this to bring it in line with reality? I'm not aware of anyone here who defends UA on a regular basis.
Yes there are -- go visit the discussion forums on airliners.net. It's horrifying.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes there are -- go visit the discussion forums on airliners.net. It's horrifying.
I see you beating the same drum there too...
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by azepine00
I see... so you are saying that UA (unlike WN etc) just set an unattainable target of perfection?
I am not sure what you're talking about.

I am saying that WN and B6 exceed expectations and UA falls short.

UA is supposed to be a reliable network carrier with premium aspects and worldwide reach. B6 and WN provide friendly, comfortable short-to-medium haul transportation with limited, well-defined scope of service.

It's like when you get into a $17,000 Chevrolet and discover an unexpected amenity, like a backup camera. Cool. Better than I thought. When you get into a $37,000 Volkswagen and discover it has vinyl seats, you think: Yikes. Lamer than I expected. On that basis, Chevy does better.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:34 pm
Suspended

I see you beating the same drum there too...

Well it's easy to fit in when you want to be part of the sCO EWR lovefest that overshadows reality on that board. If you don't beat that drum, they will show you the door.

And that's fine -- I know deep down that EWR is a dump with the most delays from any airport in the nation and surly employees to boot.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I haven't thought about it this way before, but perhaps I should be glad that they retired my beloved "tulip" in favor of a worn-out globe. That way when SMI/J gets his just desserts I can rejoice when the new administration retires that badly tarnished bit of corporate nothingness and brings back the tulip that was actually designed and stood for something as a sign of positive change to come!

I like the tulip as much as any avgeek but since the pilot strike of 1985 United as a brand has stood for mediocrity for the average consumer and the numbers here prove that.

What's striking is that Delta was a 56 in 2011. Same point in the post merger timing as US in 2013.

Now its 70+.

Change can happen quickly. But won't happen without the labor contracts. From what I understand some of the UA unions have balked at even aligning with the standards Delta set. Hard to compete without cooperation.

That flyer friendly campaign is directed as much at employees as customers.

CEO needs a stronger operational #2/3 like Delta with Bastian and CEO can focus on labor.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Apr 22, 2014 at 1:53 pm Reason: wrong quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
And that's fine -- I know deep down that EWR is a dump with the most delays from any airport in the nation and surly employees to boot.
Who cares? That's a truism, and almost like saying, "deep down, I know the sky is blue." Sadly, there is no real alternative which does not lay claim those attributes, either.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Who cares?
Um I do How can it be touted as some special hub when it's a piece of crap with major infrastructure problems?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Change can happen quickly. But won't happen without the labor contracts. From what I understand some of the UA unions have balked at even aligning with the standards Delta set. Hard to compete without cooperation.
BING!! sort out the damn labor issues, empower your employees to actually "serve" your customers, and invest in the soft and hard product. I would love to see SMI/J focus on the labor part and hire a soft/hard product manager from one of the Middle Eastern companies. Won't happen, but it would be nice.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

"You're not just flyin'... You're flyin' the friendly skies!!"
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by spin88
the annual american consumer satisfaction index (acsi) scores are out for 2014. The survey uses data from a survey of 70,000 us customers and looks at a number of industries, and the scores can be compared across industries.

The scores for airlines are as follows (the first number is for 2013, second is 2014)

jetblue 83 79
southwest 81 78
delta 68 71
american 65 66
us airways 64 66
united 62 60

for comparison, the same report listed hotel chains, the ritz-carlton has a acsi of 86, westin of 82, and super 8 of 68.

It is notable that while delta, american, and us airways all raised there acsi scores, united's actually fell, and the gap is substantial. As the report noted "among the legacy airlines, delta emerges as the best in the group, with a gain of 4% to an acsi score of 71, inching ahead of the aggregate of smaller airlines (including alaska air, frontier, and spirit). This is a 27% improvement in customer satisfaction since 2011, when delta plunged to an all-time low of 56 in the wake of its northwest acquisition."

on united the report says: "since united is so far behind other airlines in passenger satisfaction, it will not be easy to gain market share or to keep customers, especially when considering that 30% of their passengers have an acsi score below 50. The acquisition of continental appears to play a role here—frequent and continual problems with reservations and refunds three years after the merger are problematic."

full report is here, registration is required to access: http://www.theacsi.org/news-and-reso...-2014-download
why don't we all foward this to jeff...just in case he did not see this (or thinks we missed it)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.