Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC and the new android app

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by ryman554
And if I check for it manually on a real compute, as I'm doing it now, I see tons of L-availability for the 10:47 UA550 SFO-PDX form which I want to SDC off of my 6am flight tomorrow SFO-PDX

Given that, and since I'm already checked in and don't see that spiffy dude with a smartphone, am I out of luck with the app?
Was the 10.47am flight you wanted to change onto for today or for tomorrow? If tomorrow (4/23) then that's a reason you couldn't see that option at 8.50am today (old and new flights have to be within 24hrs, etc)....

(....not sure if there were other flights within the 24hrs that also had L availability that you should also have been able to see as an SDC option)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryman554
I know what the rules are and when things really open up. How, pray tell, am I supposed to check it manually on the android app where there is no expert mode?

And if I check for it manually on a real compute, as I'm doing it now, I see tons of L-availability for the 10:47 UA550 SFO-PDX form which I want to SDC off of my 6am flight tomorrow SFO-PDX

Given that, and since I'm already checked in and don't see that spiffy dude with a smartphone, am I out of luck with the app?
The reason for my suggestion was precisely the issue you've identified: there are very, very often situations where the apps (all of them, including the old android one) or other automated means will not give you all of the options. Sometimes, annoying as it is, you have to call.

For mobile use, ExpertFlyer is great, though of course you need a subscription.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by GBadger
You could just use expert mode using a web browser instead of using the app. That's what I do.
could someone give a little more detail about how to use expert mode for SDC? i thought i knew UA's IT in and out, but this must have went completely over my head.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by riphamilton
could someone give a little more detail about how to use expert mode for SDC? i thought i knew UA's IT in and out, but this must have went completely over my head.
Not to do SDC, but to determine which flights have the required availability.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The reason for my suggestion was precisely the issue you've identified: there are very, very often situations where the apps (all of them, including the old android one) or other automated means will not give you all of the options. Sometimes, annoying as it is, you have to call.

For mobile use, ExpertFlyer is great, though of course you need a subscription.
This applies not only to SDC, but any search for any flights with UA. When looking to book, sometimes the website and app show different options. When looking to make a change (regular change, not SDC), the change tool online, IME, will not show all of the relevant UA-only options, not to mention, I've never seen the change tool show any codeshares operated by other * carriers (i.e. AC into YYZ, etc.).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

Android

Anybody figure out how to change a flight on this thing? I called United, they advised me to tweet about it and see if anyone knew how to do it. Seriously weak response.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jcusack
Anybody figure out how to change a flight on this thing? I called United, they advised me to tweet about it and see if anyone knew how to do it. Seriously weak response.
Under checkin, do you not see the guy with a smartphone?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by channa
Under checkin, do you not see the guy with a smartphone?
just checked in for my flight. it's pretty easy to find. it's not a guy with a smartphone. it's some guy that looks to be standing next to a departure monitors board. anyway, it's really easy to find. you just have to look for "switch to another flight" under where it says "added to upgrade standby list."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.